Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Liquid dirt from windshield washer...wtf?

3K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  TboneZX3 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I have a 2012 SEL HB.

I noticed today that my windshield wiper fluid is leaving spots all over my car. At first I thought it was the stuff on my windshield that was being flung onto the roof by the wipers. But you can see there is the spots in front of the nozzle. (Please click on the links; I couldn't get them to embedd; maybe that they are too big but I didn't want to decrease the quality).

Nozzle
http://www.flickr.com/photos/86774595@N04/7946360744/

Roof
http://www.flickr.com/photos/86774595@N04/7946359408/

Windshield Corner
http://www.flickr.com/photos/86774595@N04/7946358642/

Pilar
http://www.flickr.com/photos/86774595@N04/7946360006/

The spots/debris are like tan/white in color and are raised. They show up after the fluid has evaporated.

What the heck is going on? Anyone seen this before? I have NEVER seen this. Was I supposed to do something with the windshield fluid when I first got the car?

And where do I go from here? Put in some good quality fluid and run the fluid through? I'm worried that the pump is full of debris too. I can't see the bottom of the reservoir to see if there is a ton of silt. Should I contact the dealer? I'm going in next week anyway to get a speaker replaced.

Lots of questions. Thanks in advance for your help.

See less See more
#7 ·
Just an idea but was it very dusty when you used the washers? If so, dust could have collected on the water droplets, and when they evaporated, it could have left the spots you see now. It just like the water spots you can get on a car after washing it if you don't dry it right away.

#9 ·
I thought that at first as well. Like dust off the windshield being flung to the roof. However, the stuff appears AT the nozzles...WAY before it even has a chance to come in contact with the windshield.

Whatever it is, it's from the reservoir. I guess it's a good thing the car comes with a warranty.

Anyone else has thoughts?

#11 ·
Does the residue have a slightly wax-like consistency and feel slippery to the touch?

If so, it might be propylene glycol (PG) residue. PG is used in many washer fluids as an anti-freeze and can separate and settle to the bottom of the tank. This would put a fairly high concentration near to the inlet of the washer fluid pump and account for the residue on your car.

Drain, flush, and refill are about all that can be done about it.

#14 ·
I checked the rear nozzle today and it didn't seem to have the same problem. Probably cause the line hasn't sucked up whatever is coming out the front.

I'm going to get a shaker siphon today and a few gallons of fluid and rinse out my tank. Hopefully that'll do it.

#16 ·
I'd imagine that the screen is down at the bottom and underneath the fender. Thanks for the suggestion of cleaning that too. I was going to do washer fluid for flushes only because if it's stuff that is normally in washer fluid and just concentrated out, that it would redissolve again.

#20 ·
If I were you I'd just put some basic washer fluid in, run it through the washers until it came out clean and then fill it up with some better fluid.

This talk of siphoning and cleaning and getting behind the bumper seems like waaaaay too much work for a windshield washer.

#21 ·
I'd have to go with a previous idea that it's most likely dirt that's being collected in the water droplets and being left behind when it dries. Even right near the nozzles, you still get some drops there from when the spray starts and stops. I've worked on cars myself for over 20 years, professionally for almost 10, and I've never seen stuff collect that bad in a washer reservoir unless someone put it there. So either it's just dirt/dust collecting on the droplets, or someone doesn't like you. [poke]

#22 ·
The thing is that there is no way that my car was that dirty to collect the drops and then leave it behind on my car. I had just washed the car and it wasn't dusty.

I'm not going to take the fender off but I'm going to go get a shaker siphon. Plus, it gives me an excuse to get to Menards and see if there are any other tools I can't live without.

#23 ·
What was said is the rain drops were already filled with dirt when they hit your car. Even if it's not dusty near the ground (which it always is) you have to realize all the impurities in the air and the distance the rain drop travel to reach the ground. You'd be wasting your money on a siphon. That won't get rid of anything that may be in the lines. Just pump it all out the nozzles then fill with distilled water (no impurities) and flush it all through the system again.

#24 · (Edited)
What was said is the rain drops were already filled with dirt when they hit your car.
They aren't rain drops. It wasn't even raining. Not trying to start an argument just making sure that people understand the situation of how I noticed things.

I think we are beating a dead horse. I really appreciate everyone's thoughts. If I find anything interesting, I'll update the thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.