Focus Fanatics Forum banner

TPMS not resetting

10K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Phestezio 
#1 ·
A few days ago I put my summer wheels back on my 2013 ST. The error prompt saying there's a tpms fault. My summer wheels are from the factory and have the sensors built in. How can I clear that error off or reset it?

#2 ·
I'm guessing when you had your winter wheels put on, the tire shop added the correct TPMS sensors to your winter wheels. Otherwise you would of had a TPMS fault all winter. These are then programmed to the vehicle.

In this case, all you need to do is reprogram the sensors back to the Body Control Module. This requires a TPMS tool. But I bet if you go to the tire shop that installed them, they'll do it for free. It only takes 1 minute with the TPMS tool.

#3 ·
Yeah, that sounds like what happened. When you put the winter wheels on they programmed those sensor ID's to your BCM so that they would work properly. Otherwise like boardliquid said you would have been throwing a TPMS light all winter. Now that you put the summer wheels back on the BCM doesn't recognize the sensor ID's in your summer wheels. I don't think Fords have a standard reset procedure for the TPMS but if you look in your owners manual it will tell you what the relearn procedure is for your car if it has one. Otherwise it will require a TPMS tool to scan and write the sensor ID's to the BCM and most places will do it for free or very little cost. Shouldn't take more than 5 minutes as long as you don't have any problems with the sensors.

Also the sensors can go bad and can be replaced. Ford has favored the band sensor for a long time but over the more recent years has started to move toward the snap-in style TPMS sensors, which are much easier to replace and less chance of breaking it off on the tire machine. but with the snap-in style or the bolt in style the valve stem is actually the antennae for the sensor to ping back and forth with the ECU. with the band sensor it has its own different style antennae. Since you have a 2013 I would have to say you have the snap-in style sensors, even though I have seen VERY few 2013 fords with the band sensors still, they probably have some on the shelf still they need to get rid of haha.

#6 ·
Yeah the 2013 SHOULD have the valve stem mounted snap-in type TPMS sensors, but I have seen a couple 2013 fords that they still equipped with band sensors, 1 of which happened to be a focus. But that being said you SHOULD have snap-in type TPMS sensors.

And yes its interesting you point out that about the chrysler's, there are some cars that will allow for more than 4 TPMS sensor ID's at a time, some allow 8 and some allow 12. but most only allow for 4. and most people would never realize that some cars could have 3 sets of wheels programmed, but how many people do you know that have 3 sets of wheels for their car AND swap them all out every few months. Not many, especially in the south, alot of people are lucky enough to have 1 set of wheels haha.

#7 ·
Oh, well that changes everything since you never had sensors in your winter wheels. If I had to guess the sensors have been off the car for so long that they are stuck in a sleep mode and won't turn on with the signal from the car. I had a very similar problem the other day, just had to use my TPMS tool to re-activate or "wake up" the sensors and then they started working properly again. Its not a super common problem but it does happen from time to time. Every time you turn your car off it sends a signal to the TPMS sensors to go to sleep mode to save battery power, then when you get back in and start the car it sends a signal to wake the sensors back up. If it stays asleep for too long sometimes they don't like to wake up with the signal from the car.

#9 ·
Some Ford dealers will even re-train sensors for free. Since the car should still be under warranty, take it to a Ford dealer. They should set the tire pressures and retrain the sensors for you at no cost. If you're going to be swapping tire sets yearly, you might want to look into getting a TPMS training tool. They're available aftermarket. Tirerack has one for $45 + shipping. http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=170&affiliate=AD4

#10 ·
If all of the wheels are using OEM Ford sensor you should just be able to swap the wheels and the TPMS system should not throw a fault. Both my friend and I put our summer wheels back on our cars. He put is stock ST wheels back on and I put my aftermarket wheels back on which I put OEM TPMS sensor in. I forgot to reset the sensors but twice now neither of us have had the TPMS light come on.

Now when I first installed my summer wheels I could not get them to sync, I even have the Ford reset tool. I believe part of the issue was the other set of wheels was to close to the car. When I took them inside I then had no issue getting the sensors to sync. I also had driven the car too, which might have helped.

And that reminds me, I still need to sync the wheels to the car.

#11 ·
From my experience the sensors will work exactly how they are supposed to and not cause any issues really about 99% of the time, its that 1% of weird things they can do thats a problem haha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.