Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Several questions and looking for suggestions

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  amc49 
#1 ·
Let me just start off by saying thank you to whomever looks at this thread trying to help me.

I recently "adopted" my dad's old 2002 Ford Focus ZX5 with an automatic transmission. I just put 229,031 miles on it and the engine light popped on as I was going up a hill on my way to class. I'm aware that the car has several issues already before I even got a hold of it such as the radiator fan on the right or driver side doesn't come on when it supposed to unless the cars A/C is on so the car will overheat without it. There is a leak in the powersteering and I know I need to replace the rack. The transmission has issues, or I at least assume it's the transmission, and problems like the car putters while it idles, it putters less or at least quieter while in neutral or park. Recently it has started puttering while trying to accelerate and it feels like the car isn't delivering power from the engine as much as it should while it putters. I also think there is a problem with the radiator, I think it was the hoses that need to be replaced again.. I just replaced the shrouding and fans with a newer "better"/more energy efficient set.

Now my actual question is, is it even worth it to fix this? Any idea what's wrong with the transmission?

#3 ·
Depends on how much work you do yourself, what you pay for parts, how much your time is worth, and what your other alternatives are.

Used Focus parts are dirt cheap from junk cars.
If you do the labor, fixing all the problems would be more inexpensive than any other plan to get into a drivable car. Find a parts car and rape it for everything your car needs.

If you buy new parts, and/or pay somebody else to do the work, it would be cheaper to buy a different car that doesn't need work.

#4 ·
X2. All those troubles easy to fix but if you say trans has troubles then don't describe them at all and then simply ask us what's wrong with the trans, well then, that's kinda like saying 'I have a car, please tell me what's wrong with it', or IMPOSSIBLE. You haven't even had the engine light looked into, not important enough to you I guess. That light could easily answer your question, why would you come here without knowing what it is about? We can't magically guess it.............

#5 ·
The good thing, is that you're in TX, so rust shouldn't drive you nuts working on it & make it not worth fixing at all...

The bad thing (maybe) is that with the long list of issues it's only practical to fix if you want to learn to be a mechanic & use as many used pieces as possible for the major issues (like the rack).

More detail for the tranny Guru folks would be a first step, 'cause getting into replacing one is more of a job than a beginner should really tackle without some experience fixing smaller issues. Hopefully whatever it's doing wrong is a BIT easier than that, but any repairs there other than external linkage are a bit messy & require a bit of care to accomplish.

Luck!

#7 ·
The transmission is your big issue but if it is going in every gear then it is not a simple fix of just changing out a solenoid.

The only way I would put money in this car is if it had a weird body style like a wagon that was last made in 2007. I had a 2004 Wagon and I was going to keep it going forever, no matter what because it was my work vehicle, until one night a DWI slamed into it while parked and totaled the thing.

Fix the simple and cheap and keep driving it until it does not move anymore

#8 ·
Brother I so feel your pain. Every one of the last 5 cars I've had has been through the wringer with incompetent drivers hitting them, it's rampant here in Cowtown Texas. One was hit 4 times in first few months of ownership and every single time was sitting still. At least I made enough off threats of lawsuit to pay for half of it. Ain't no use trying to have a nice vehicle, they just tear it up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.