Focus Fanatics Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2007 duratec ecu

3K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  zetecDon 
#1 ·
So I have a 2007 focus se with the dtec20. Here in the future I plan on finding out if the ecu from the 07 st sedan will work and help increase the performance of my motor just by swapping the ecu. I have been wondering though if anyone has done this already. I have don't the research for the specs on the dtec20 vs the dtec23 and only difference I am finding is the stroke and bore. From the info I found the head is the exact same specs from the 20 to 23. If anyone has tried this let me know and if no one has then I guess we will find out if it works the hard way.

#4 ·
First of all I will not get a tune from Tom. I have seen videos and heard bad reviews on his tunes. Second I do plan on getting the sct excalibrator 3 programmer but my thought is my ecu is tuned differently because it does have less flow. So I figured by swapping out to the st ecu it will help adjust things better because it is tuned from the factory for a better flowing motor so it should help increase power just from the swap, I think. No two ecu's are programmed the same from the factory, especially a base model ecu vs a sportier tuned ecu. And if it does help just swapping the ecu out then I can hold off getting the programmer for a bit. Right now I have an issue with my current manifold with the tumble flaps. I am trying to beat some Hondas without having to tune the ecu. I have already ran one Honda with a motor swap with a full tune and he only gets me by a car length. He's got a jdm B16 vtec motor in his ef sedan civic. All I got is a couple bolts ons so like I said I want to beat these guys without having to tune my ecu just yet. I would rather swap out some parts that are going go help the motor out more.

#7 ·
How do you know swapping out the ecu is going to cause headaches? Have you swapped one out before for one that came out of an st model focus? Swapping them out is as easy as just unplugging three harnesses then grab the new one and plug in the harnesses so that seems pretty damn easy especially coming from a person that has already done this once be aide I had converted my car from auto to standard properly unlike some people making it a hack job. If you have swapped it out for the st model focus ecu and it didn't work for you then just say that instead of its just going to cause headaches.

#8 ·
WSKobra, I'd pass on the pcm swap & get your pcm reflashed. Its well worth it. A reflash gets you so much more then you think. You will find the motor runs so much smoother.

#11 ·
egz is correct , if you swap out the ECU yes its easy to do but it wont start you would have to tow your car to Ford , have 2 keys and get the keys and PATS reset , headache for sure , on top of that the ST does not have any tuning differences then a std Focus

Shoot me a link please to this videos you have seen ??????

Tom

#14 ·
I fail to understand the obsession with wanting to swap the ST ecu into your 2.0 car. You are not going to gain any performance whatsoever from it, and like EGZ said assuming the wiring is the same (probably isn't) it is going to be looking for things that just don't exist on your car. What are you hoping to accomplish from this?

#15 ·
Everybody quit fighting him and let him go ahead and swap in the ST ecu anyways. He seems like he's already made up his mind and doesn't really want to take any advice from any of the seasoned FF members. You all have done what you can to offer your best advice but when someone doesn't want to listen, let them learn from their own mistakes.

#18 ·
The wiring is the same from mine compared to the st. There are minor differences like cruise control and radio control that's on the steering wheel but I ain't worried about that. I know its the same cause when I did my standard trans swap into the car I got full wiring diagrams from my base model that had the auto and compared it to one that had a manual so I compared it to the st and it was the same. Just extra locations for the extra accessories but like I said I would not be worried. I only made this thread to see if anyone has do e this before and I am sure as hell the st ecu is tuned differently cause you have to remember its two different size motors so its going to be tuned somewhat different because the st is a 9.7:1 compression while mine is a 10:1 so that little difference can make a big difference with the ecu tuning.

#23 ·
Yes very few locksmith companies do reprogram keys for cars. Thats why when you call around you need to ask specifically if they can. I found 4 out of the 7 companies I called could do it. They were just not understanding why I needed a new key and why they(including my original key) needed to be reprogrammed to the new ecu. I also had to use the transpondor from the donor car because the ecu would be looking for that transpondor. At least that's what the dealership told me. So Turbo Tom was wrong when he said only dealerships can do it. For someone that works on ford focus' he sure showed how wrong he was.

#24 ·
I think this thread has run it's course. OP you have gotten answers to your question. You have received valid advice on what to do and what not to do. You seem to have your mind made up as to what you are going to do and anything said after this is just pointless banter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.