Focus Fanatics Forum banner

new TSB 12-5-5 for manual trans focii

36K views 166 replies 38 participants last post by  mipds 
#1 ·
I'm going to be doing this update to mine tomorrow as I've noticed a few of the quirks this one is supposed to correct. Cheers

2.0L GDI AND MANUAL TRANSMISSION - CALIBRATION UPDATE - VARIOUS DRIVABILITY IMPROVEMENTS - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 2/29/2012

Publication Date: May 8, 2012

FORD: 2012 Focus

This article supersedes TSB 12-1-4 to update the Title, Issue Statement and Service Procedure.

ISSUE:
Some 2012 Focus vehicles equipped with a 2.0L gasoline direct injection (GDI) engine, manual transmission and built on or before 2/29/2012 may exhibit diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) U0422, P00D2, P068A, P0850, P2610, P2832, P286F, P2877, P00C6, P0607, P0457 and/or P06B8 and may be accompanied by engine drivability concerns. Refer to the calibration content for additional calibration details.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) to the latest calibration using IDS release 78.02 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2012.3 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com.
Reset the Oil Minder, refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 413-01.
Previously Released Calibration Content

Previously released calibration content contained improvement actions and enhancements to address the following on vehicles equipped with a manual transmission:

Intermittent vehicle speed control inoperative.
Engine no-start with engine coolant temperature (ECT) open circuit faults.
Intermittent no-crank/no-start condition after performing normal Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) pinpoint test (PPT) procedures.
Intermittent false initialization to 21 °C (70 °F) on the instrument cluster's ambient temperature display upon engine start up.
A/C performance at idle and high engine coolant temperature readings in cold ambient temperatures below 0 °C (32 °F) on vehicles equipped with automatic grill shutters (AGS).
Oil change minder not lighting up in instrument panel cluster (IPC) when vehicle surpasses 10,000 miles.
Difficulty launching from a stop when not using the accelerator pedal.
Low speed tip-in/tip-out shuffle in 1st, 2nd and reverse gears
NOTE: PLEASE ADVISE THE CUSTOMER THE VEHICLE'S OIL MINDER HAS BEEN RESET AND TO FOLLOW THE RECOMMENDED OIL CHANGE INTERVAL AS DESCRIBED IN THE OWNERS MANUAL.

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
120505A 2012 Focus 2.0L GDI And Manual Transmission: Check DTCs And Reprogram The PCM, Includes Time To Reset The Oil Change Minder (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 0.4 Hr.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
RECALEM 04

See less See more
#115 ·
Have intermittent hesitation as described by multiple members--took to dealer who is unable to reproduce and tell me they don't find any codes in the computer. Apparently won't do the update without the codes being present in the engine computer. As I read this TSB it sounds like the codes may be present or the symptoms may be present or both. Is that correct or do the codes have to be present to get the update?

#116 ·
no codes should be necessary. It's a service update, to help solve issues customers are experiencing. Designed for the exact reason you brought your car in the first place! I would say do one of two things. 1 take it to another dealership, or 2 contact Noemi on here and have the problem escalated. Personally, I think that's BS and I wouldn't want to even give that dealership more dough.

#130 ·
Mine was built on 4/26. I have very little lag unless I'm running the A/C, and I try so very hard to deal with the heat. I usually don't run A/C unless it's hot and I'm on the interstate.

I do notice a drop in power with A/C off, but not really a throttle "lag".

#136 ·
I have a question

Do new cars come updated with this 12-5-5 or is it only for cars that have a problem? I'm wondering what could have changed on my car before having service work done.

Just got my car back yesterday from the shop after having first gear replaced and it's doing the throttle cutoff during launches like it did before the 12-5-5 update. I'm going to call the dealership in the morning to see if after the rebuild they reflashed it back to stock( if that's possible.)

#137 ·
I don't think its possible to revert back to a previous configuration after an update, and all cars built after a certain date have the TSB already integrated into the main configuration along with all other updates and changes applcable up to the build date or batch.. (I don't the remember the date tho). It could be that during the repair the system was reset and it has to relearn everything.. i'd give a few hundred miles for the PCM to go thru a few drive cycles and relearn everything.

#138 ·
So my car was definitely built before February 2012 (11/8/12), but according to ETIS there are no outstanding field service actions available. My car does exhibit these occasional symptoms, though.

Is this the case for others as well? Is there a definitive list of all TSBs? I tried Googling, but they only show the ones up til January 2012.

My front suspension is noisy as heck, and on another thread there was a 6/27/12 TSB mentioned, but I can't find anything more on that as well.

#145 ·
I went to get this TSB. Told the dealer my issues and the TSB#. Dropped my car off and later that day I got a call saying my car was ready. I went in and they didn't do anything! [?|] I talked to the service manager who went back to talk to the tech. He came back in and said that my car was up to date. My car was built 10-31-11. This TSB is for cars built on or before 2-29-12. I am I wrong or did the dealer just waste my time?

In any case. Anyone know of a good dealer in CA north bay area?

#157 ·
Same thing for me. Took it to Galpin ("the world's largest Ford dealer"), the service guy looked at the back of my reservation, and noted, nope, no applicable TSBs for my car. Mine was built November 2011.

#149 ·
Same Same here

I too have the Launch issue. It feels like your starting from second gear. It has to spool up before moving. Almost killed me when I pulled into traffic with my kids in the car. Told the dealer fix it or I will drive it through the showroom with a flaming rag hanging out of the fuel tank. I have to drop it off again this weekend. They did some flash but after that I was driving home from a road trip and for the last 6 times I came to a stop the motor would shake the whole car like it was about to stall. RPM's dropped to like 500. I also had the clunky front end and they replaced some strut parts. Still sounds like something is going to fall off the car though on certain bumps. My right rear door collects water on the sill when it rains. You open the door and whoosh, instant puddle on the ground. They could find nothing wrong. I pointed out that the door was out of alignment as you could plainly see and all they did was adjust some moulding. Now everytime I fill up on gas, as I pull the nozzle out I hear a rush of gas and poof, instant puddle of gas on the ground behind the wheel. It has happened the last two fill ups. My steering column cover is falling off because only one tab makes contact and now when i turn the car off the Sync comes on and says " Please say a command". Everyone grab a glass, daddy is going to make some lemonade with this car!

#150 ·
They did some flash but after that I was driving home from a road trip and for the last 6 times I came to a stop the motor would shake the whole car like it was about to stall. RPM's dropped to like 500.
I too have had the idle drop to 500 rpms twice when I've come to a stop. However I haven't had the update (May 2011 build) so that's not what caused that.

#152 ·
You know,this is a prime example of why some people should [:)][:)][:)][:)].

I was pulling out into the lane just down from a blind corner. It's the only way out from my job. I don't take risks when I drive. Especially with my kids in the car. I always pause at traffic signals as they turn green to make sure someone isn't trying to beat the light. I know what your saying and who your speaking of. I am not one of them.

#153 ·
I was just about to post something about this issue as my car does this. It's done it to me pulling out in traffic and I'm lucky the other drivers slowed down. I have to bring this in now.

I didn't read this whole 13 pages. Did anyone get this issue resolved with their dealer?

#158 ·
Add me to the list of people getting this TSB done. I've noticed an issue with the car struggling on launches every now and again, but this morning did it for me. The car scared the shit out of me when it fell on its face making a left hand turn that would've otherwise been a perfectly safe maneuver.

I have a scheduled appointment at 11AM tomorrow.

#159 ·
I had mine done and after the 600 mile relearning process I can say it hasn't happened to me again. I had the knocking noise in the front end and they replaced parts on one of the struts. Now with the car idiling I hear a knocking noise like a bad engine mount. I also have a rear door that doesn't line up with the front and the dealer said it would have to go to a body shop so they can take the whole door apart and reassemble it. It still leaks water after they tried adjusting it. Does anyone have a steering column that doesnt click together properly? If you turn your steering wheel 180deg you can see where there is a tab on each side that joins them together. See if your locks in or is just hanging there. The left side tab doesn't engage on mine and the dealer said the other three Focus's on the lot have the same problem. They said Ford dropped the ball when they designed it.

#160 ·
HOLY OFF TOPIC!

One of my tabs didn't engage. So I pulled the top panel up and pulled that tab forward and now it's good. It takes a good bit of force to get the two halves back together because there's felt between the two pieces.

#162 ·
I got this TSB done today. What I've noticed after driving a little bit, mainly when the engine is still cool, is that it launches much easier and there seems to be a bit more power and quite a bit less hesitation at the low end of 2nd gear. I also feel like clutch engagement through the rest of the gears is a lot smoother without having to wait for the revs to drop to the sweet spot.

#163 ·
Question: do the "diagnostic trouble codes" listed in this TSB cause the "check engine" light to come on?

I ask because when I requested that the service rep have the mechanics check to see if this applies to my Focus, built 2/6/12, she said, "these would cause the check engine light to come on." And without that, she wouldn't add it to the work order.

I'm guessing that she was wrong, and that I will have to go over her head to get someone to at least check to see if the TSB applies. Am I right?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.