Focus Fanatics Forum banner

About to Buy a 2003 SVT, HELP

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  GodLovesUgly 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I'm about to buy a Ford Focus SVT 2003 with 118 00 KM, So it would be around 73 000 Miles in USA. (I'm in Canada)

I'd like to know if there is some particular problems or issues with the car that I should look for.

I know the guy is replacing the Variable Cam Pulley (I don't know if you say that in english, I only know the french terms)

But for the rest, I have no Idea. I'm more of an European car guy, but I need a 4 seasons car. So I'm about to drive it in winter also.

If you guy have anything to say about this car please do. I want to be sure I buy something that won't break 2 month after I bought it.

Thank you !

#3 ·
Same situation here! I bought a 2003 svtf with 76k on it yesterday. completely stock with "zero problems". I did a little research here and there on this site and everyone was saying the same thing about the timing belt..
can someone elaborate a little more for me regarding the timing belt? This will also be my new DD (i live it Michigan) so ill also be slugging this bad boy through the snow. any tips or known problems this car has regarding the snow?

#4 ·
The SVT engine is an interference engine, which means when the timing belt goes it usually takes the pistons, valves, and other good stuff with it. So the belt should be changed every 80k miles. I'm calling these numbers off the top of my head, but I believe parts to do the job run about $200, and dealers typically charge anywhere between $500-$1000 to do it. It's doable for a DIYer, but experience, time, and tools are needed.

The clutch *might* also be a concern at that mileage. Ask if it has had the clutch replaced under the TSB, which was typically performed early in a car's life due to premature clutch wear. Some original clutches last well over 100k miles though.

Check the valve cover for oil leaks (hell check the whole car for leaks/unexplained fluids), make sure the alignment is good, make sure the seller ALWAYS used premium gas, basically just do a standard used car check-over.

As for winter, get a set of snow tires and you're good to go. Very few 15" wheels fit, so go with 16" wheels/tires.

#5 ·
Ive always been a DIYer so ill probably do that before i put my other car into storage.. Glad i found this information out here rather than the timing belt going and god knows what else!

He told me that the clutch was never changed (original owner) and when driving it, it felt good. Has some chatter coming out of first gear but thats normal for the svtf, correct?

Already got some winter wheels/tires :) think i may powder coat the stock wheels, would look good on a silver car! maybe some tints too.. Ill toss some pictures up either later tonight or tomorrow

Sorry for jacking your thread cassard

#7 ·
The clutch master cylinder is something you should check, as they seem to be problematic.
check the clutch pedal for oil-like residue.
also check for coolant leaks dripping onto the front of the transmission. the thermostat housing is known to leak as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.