Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Welcome to our new Tuning Forum

48K views 110 replies 52 participants last post by  LeoVicyto 
#1 ·
To All,

Due to overwhelming requests, we're bringing online a Forum dedicated for performance tuning discussions. Please use this forum for anything related to tuning your Focus.

Thanks,
Tom & FF Team

#4 ·
I'll consider buying a "Tune", when a strictly fuel economy tune becomes available. We all know gas will be back to $4 in no time, and I suspect a majority of Focus owners are running mostly stock engines, all of whom would appreciate better MPG, rather than more performance.

Since I haven't seen anything of the sort for the Focus..... perhaps such a "Tune" is not possible. [screwy]

Oh....I'll be quite willing to test out any beta versions you might come up with. My engine is stock with a Steeda SRI. I could use a few more MPG......so could everybody else.

#6 ·
Bluefront, make a thread! that's what this is all about.

You can indeed buy the PRP and tune for gas mileage, or ask your tuner to do so.

In any case, YAY for Tom, admin of the year award! [clap]

#14 ·
Why come in to it with such a negative attitude Tom? We all know that there will be disagreements, but this is a tuning forum, not the tuning gospel according to Tom L. I for sure respect your work but within reason unless they are totally pulling stuff from their rear ends, a healthy tuning discussion should be welcomed!

#13 ·
I think if Tom, 03OrangeSVT and a couple other tuning guys watch over the forum and keep the BS to a minimum this will be a great tool for us. The key as Tom said will be to keep the bad info and opinions of those who have not done the background work out of here!

#15 ·
So if some one post something that hurts an engine , Thats ok ? as long as its talked about in a Forum ?

Nothing that I say should be taken as the tuning gospel according to Tom , If you do you shouldnt

People will answer questions with pulling things our of there "rear ends" its already happened if you look in here already

People will post guesses , thoughts , Hmmm it could bees , opinions and when it comes to tuning those could be worse then not knowing anything at all , Its already happening !

I am all for a Tuning forum as long as those answering have the background to back it up and understand tuning the Focus

Tom

#16 ·
Tom,
With today's hi-tech engines, drivetrains, etc., you are absolutely right about the post containing the correct info.! I sure wouldn't want to rely on guesses, opinions, etc. for my vehicle-especially if it involves more power or, more performance! This is serious, and
expensive stuff!

#19 ·
^^^^^Maybe. But surely a good "tune" that was specifically MPG oriented, would give more MPGs. I think the problem with a MPG Tune, would be the testing. You can't just put the car on a dyno, and come up with any accurate results, like a performance tune.

You've got to drive the car through several tank-fulls, under a controlled situation.....like certain temperatures, with the same type of driving. This is difficult to do, but possible.

#20 ·
I dont agree , The ECU controles the amount of fuel used in idle and part throttle and it works so well that it does not need to be changed , there are a few things that will help MPG and in most cases are the same exact things that help performance

What makes for more performance is a more efficiant combustion this is also the same thing that helps MPG

Tom

#35 ·
S N A P.

It's like the old myth that 4 barrel Carbs used more gas than a 2 when just the opposite was true. More Power WAS there when you ASKED for it but by keeping a light foot on the gas, only the 2 (of 4) SMALLER barrels would open up, using fuel in easy running more effieceintly than a regular 2 barrel ("bbl"?) carb. I think a good tune is similar in that respect. SRI, same deal. More power when you need it, & more efficeincy all the time as long as you can resist the lure to romp on it.

#21 ·
Pardon. But I am now a tad confused about this forum and its purpose as 'tuning' can be interpreted so widely (well, maybe just me). So may I ask what sorts of subjects are to be entertained here? A.K.A. Would a discussion of spark plugs be appropriate? Or do we limit the discussion to things not of a 'hardware' nature? just trying to understand the ground rules a bit better.
Thanks

#22 ·
^^^^^The "Tune" you get from the factory is a compromise between performance, emissions, and MPG, which of course are all related. It is not the best possible for MPG alone.....IMHO. I am sure it could be adjusted for MPG specifically.

Now whether a company could make any money off such a "Tune" is debatable. The Tune would have to be cost-effective. If it took 10 years of gas saving to pay for itself, I'm not interested. But if the gas savings were sufficient to pay for the thing in say 2-3 years....I am interested.

The word "Tune" as commonly used on this forum, relates to an ECU tuning program.....and is not particularly hardware related. That's the way I see it anyway.

#25 ·
Well to put simply I would agree with bluefront's statement above, its pertaining to ECU tuning, not actual hardware, like what plugs should I buy, or gap them too, etc. I would expect to see questions regarding changing things in your cars tune.

#28 ·
I think it's a great idea. However, to cut down on the need for sub-forum after sub-forum and to clear up potential confusion. People starting threads in here should specify what type of engine they are discussing, i.e. Dtec, Ztec, SPI, etc.

#29 ·
I'm glad there are people like Tom and others here who actually know specifics about tuning...I could only give an account about how the tuning of my car has helped MPG's and help make my Focus have better performance. Because of tuning my car at a reputable shop (DynoSpeed Racing) I have the advantage of going in and they always check out my car if something seems amiss. This should be a good Forum, if like it has been said dangerous and incorrect information doesn't bombard the forum...[clap]

#30 ·
I think that, overall, the tuning forum is going to be great. Yes, people will respond with answers that may not be correct, but how is that different than any other area of the discussion boards? I mean, that's the idea of forums: bounce ideas and gather info, is it not?

As far as causing damage, it will just have to be understood that any info on here is not guaranteed. It's not much different than taking advice from unqualified people that shouldn't answer engine (internal) questions or car audio questions.

As long as the forum is watched, I think it will be great. I know I've been wanting one for a while.

#31 ·
Can the xcal3 read a/f? If so, when I get mine from Tom I'd like to do this in order for Tom to be able to tweak it to make it just right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.