Focus Fanatics Forum banner

A simple fix for the microphone wind noise issue

112K views 237 replies 50 participants last post by  FocusDavid 
#1 ·
I've heard quite a few people complain about how much the built in microphone in upper trim 2012's sucks. I can attest to this; at freeway speeds you have to scream at it to get it to understand anything you're saying. It's also virtually impossible to make a phone call as whoever you call thinks you're driving through a tornado.

I've devised a very simple (read, inexpensive) solution to this problem. It involves shoving sound deadening material in the space above the microphone to reduce the amount of ambient noise it picks up.

Video of how to do this is here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sa0-e69pXEE&noredirect=1

It worked wonders for me; now I don't have to burst my lungs in order for it to play a little Stevie Ray Vaughn[woot].

You may wish to use more material than I did in the video; I added more after the first test run and it helped quite a bit.

#4 · (Edited)
My main issue is not the voice commands but using the hands free over bluetooth. There is some serious background noise according to the people on the other end of the call. I'm thinking there has to be a better mic that would work with it. I'm going to do some research.

EDIT: Perhaps even a small directional mic?

#34 ·
Most likely not an issue with the actual microphone. It's probably poor noise cancelling software in the system. It also sounds like poor sound deadning around the microphone. I read somewhere it was one of the improvement items on the new MyFord touch software. I doubt a different mic will solve the problem.

#7 ·
I don't anyone is saying the mic sucks on upper trim levels? I think people are saying that using sync at highway speeds is not as clear than lower speeds or not using it completely for all trim levels that have sync.

Mine sounds fine, no yelling needed at even highway speeds, however it sounds better with phone to face.

#18 ·
I just got my Titanium back and there is a mike, ambient lighting control and sunglass holder in the spot where your mike is located.
Here is a diagram of the SEl/titanium unit.

Looks like there might be one screw on there somewhere, but I don't know what these things are supposed to look like so I couldn't give you an exact location. (other than the diagram lol) Other than that looks like it just pops right out.

#26 ·
The whole assembly is clipped in, probably two "hinge" style clips ont he front and a couple of regular snap ins on the back of the assembly...I have not been daring enough to pull at it too hard, and you'll need to make sure not to pull too hard as the headliner is what its clipped into, and I got quite a bit of headliner movement when I test-pulled..

#27 ·
Interesting solution and thread. I have gotten mixed reviews from folks on the other end of calls..."sounds clear as a bell" .."or "sounds pretty noisy" I never made the connection of wind at higher speeds possibly being the factor but will keep that in mind going forward and look to do this smart mod if needed.

I have to say I would be pretty hesitant to replace the mic because of the SYNC voice recognition stuff. I'm sure Ford did a lot of tuning on the system using the included mic. Even if it made cell calls better, it could potentially really found up voice command recognition. No idea for sure, I just would be concerned about this aspect before replacing the mic.

#32 ·
OK, just did this on my SEL and learned a few things. Take a look at the pics posted and then here's what to do:

1. Pull down slowly but firmly in the middle of each side. Each should pop out (down) fairly easily.
2. Flex the assembly downward in the middle so that you can get the forward tabs free (nearest the sunglasses end).
3. Work the two rear most tabs free. They have upward facing hooks that require a bit of persuasion to get free.

I then put a piece of 3.5" x 12" Dynamat on exposed sheet metal. Most of the roof has thin lines of a semi-gooey sealant or sound proofing but it is noticeably absent right above the microphone. I then added two pieces of sound deadening material, one a sheet about 12" x 12" and then another about 2" x 6" directly over the microphone. I then got stumped reinstalling it as I could not get the two rear hooks to engage. Imagine the mental picture of the whole assembly falling out as you are driving down the road...
Here is what you do:

1. The unit you removed above is actually two pieces (see CAD drawing on page two of this post). Depress the two forward tabs of the center section (in the middle of the whole thing) so that you can then drop it out of the outer section. When you've pinched the two tabs you can then push the center section downward and out.
2. Once you have seperated the two sections, install the outer section back in the roof by pinching the two rear tabs to the hooks until they are firmly engaged. This is the key to reinstalling.
3. Flex the assembly downward in the middle so that you can fit the front back into position. Then push each side up until they snap into position.
4. Pull on things to ensure this outer section is firmly in place before moving on.
5. Push the center section, with mic and other controls (watch the wires so you don't pinch them) back into the outer section starting from the rear. It snaps in fairly easily. I had to snap the corners back into place once the primary tabs reengaged but they did so without complaint.

Overall, the plastic is fairly tough and resilient so unless you gorilla hand the thing it should easily survive this one time you will ever mess with it.

Thanks for the CAD drawing and photos. That is what I was waiting for before tearing into it.

#36 ·
Just road tested with the soundproofing. Everyone thought the road noise was greatly reduced from previous calls. Sync got all of my instructions correct on the first try (over an hour) whereas before I had to repeat myself far too often. I can't claim that is 100% due to the soundproofing as Sync is still prone to fits of misbehavior...

#37 ·
Hello fellow Fanatics. Took delivery of a new 2012 Focus Ti on 3/2 and just so excited with all the features. Including the hands free. Well I was told recently by a few people I call regularly that the sound quality was horrible and it sounded like I had the windows down, etc. Which led me to this thread.
I have a sunroof and opened it this morning. I can actually look down the front of the head liner where the sun roof closes and see the whole back of the Mic and everything. WOW. No wonder it sounds like Im talking in a wind tunnel. The back of the mic is obviously exposed to that open cavern which im sure just amplifies the wind-noise on the other side of the headliner. Inside the car it seems pretty quiet. I am definitely going to try and see if I can isolate the back of the mic area from the everything else. Has anyone tried or have thoughts on using that dense foam material, the kind you usually sit on at the game or what some use to kneel on when working on flooring, etc. I wonder if that might be better or worse than that sound deadening material .

Unbelievable though that Ford would not have some sort of foam sound absorbing material in there already.

#42 ·
Has anyone tried or have thoughts on using that dense foam material, the kind you usually sit on at the game or what some use to kneel on when working on flooring, etc. I wonder if that might be better or worse than that sound deadening material .
I didn't have any dynamat or foam lying around. I'm a cheapskate, so rather than buying some I used what I could find in the basement; carpet insulation. It's not the foam kind, it's more like 3/8" thick mohair. I don't have a sunroof, so I had to cut a few pieces and stuff them up through the hole where the sunglasses holder is. Works like a champ. No more yelling at my MFT on the highway.. . "Tuning to... 'Coffee House'. NOT COFFEE HOUSE DAMMIT! HOWARD 100! HOW DID YOU GET 'COFFEE HOUSE' FROM 'HOWARD 100'!?! AARRGGHHH!!!"

#40 ·
Yes. I removed the headliner and applied some dynamat I had left over from my last stereo install. I have the Titanium with a sunroof. I called a friends phone and recorded a voicemail pre and post install and the difference is staggering.

#43 ·
I took some of that dense foam. The kind you kneel on so you dont screw up your knees.

First of all I fought like hell to get the plastic console to drop down from the headliner and when I got it down it really didn't benefit me to do that so I ended up snapping it back in place. It was actually easier to insert the foam from the top where I could access the back of the console with the sun roof open.

So I jammed a piece that fit directly over the top of the mic and it sealed it off pretty well. Then I put another longer piece in front of that.

When I took it for a test drive. Just driving through my neighborhood and recording the call into my work voicemail. Play back still sounded like a lot of wind noise, however I could talk and hear what I was saying but the moment you stop talking you'd hear the wind noise.

I don't know why the foam piece wouldn't be just as effective as anything else. Maybe in order to achieve the best results that Im looking for I will have to remove the headliner and apply the dynamat to the entire roof.

#46 ·
Matt,

If it wasn't for my being able to reach it from the top through the open sun roof I don't think I could have gotten the housing down. It has several tabs that snap locked all around the perimeter of it. Even having access to pry the tabs back enough from the back side and release it there were 2 in the front that were a major PITA to release.

Once I had it all down I saw no benefit and snapped it back in place and proceeded to insulate the back side through the sunroof.

Good luck w/Yours
B.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.