Focus Fanatics Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

PWSC trials and tribulations...

6K views 65 replies 11 participants last post by  tukaniSVT 
#1 ·
OK folks,

For those of you that are keeping track of the progress on my PWSC install i have some news. But let's start at the beginning...

Was missing an engine block oil relocation adaptor from my purchase. Found out when the car was at the shop and torn down for the install. I overnighted a piece from Trans Dapt that i thought would work...i was wrong. Ordered a piece from Moroso p/n 23682 and overnighted it...it worked. Had to fabricate several different sets of oil lines due to clearance issues when the last brackets of the install were in place. Finally made a set that worked with everything.

Found out that i did not have a ACS or IAT sensor as it is sometimes referred to. It was not in the kit. Found one at the Dickinson Auto Zone that was from a F150 Lightning. They didn't have the pigtail harness though. Taylor Automotive ordered one and had it by noon today, but it was the wrong one. I gave them the part number of the ACS and they cross referenced one that we got today at 3:30pm. Got the baseline tune from Tom put in and got the car started up.....codes, figures.

Then i noticed that the aux water pump was not running. Found a faulty fuse holder. Still not running after a new one was installed. Found that power and ground were the issues for that. They are going to find a new source of power for the relay to be on during engine run conditions.

Got to the point where i could datalog and remote tune with Tom. But then Live Link crapped out on me and his guess was because my laptop is running on Windows 7. Then i just flat out ran outta time cuz i had to head home to get ready for work and now here i am...at work. Downloading Live Link since it would not run in compatibility mode for XP. Gonna try a fresh install now.

But i do have one thing to say now about the car....DAAAYUMMMMN!!! She revs up like she's got a soul now! I can't wait to finish her up and get her on the street finally. And the sound.......RAWR!!!! LoL!

Anyhow, i just thought i'd share this with you all since it was the source of my missed effort to make a meet. I will be at the shop all day tomorrow working all the bugs out and will hopefully be able to drive it home. I will be making some vids of this effort tomorrow and will keep you posted.

See less See more
#31 ·
I was able to finally meet someone from the Houston crew. I got to meet Jeremy when he came over to the shop to swap money for the gauge bezel. I wish i had more time that day to bs more than i did with him, but i was caught in the middle of talking on the phone with Tom, and trying to coordinate work for the next day with the shop before they closed. I wanted to check out his ride and wasn't able to.

I would like to one day catch up to all of you!!!!

Note: On a Sunday due to work.

I'm gonna make another gauge pod for my gauges with the bezel...thanks Jeremy!

#33 ·
Yeah you just answered my other question. Look like you might be the only other tx member that has been around as long has me? I can't believe we haven't met yet. I liked your gauge bezel. I might want to do that with mine. But for now I need to data log and get my tune updated. It's running way on the rich side.

#34 ·
I have to take a picture tomorrow of what i did with my firewire cable and how i installed it in my car to make datalogging a little neater. I will post that tomorrow. I was easy and cheap to do.

Edit: I've been all over the world several times bud. In and out of Texas a few times. And this is my first time living in Houston so i'm a NOOB to the area [grin]

#35 ·
Yeah I seen the other thread on how to make the cable. very easy and straight forward. The sad thing is it took my 6yrs before I finally put a tune on car. Just like the STS I wish I would have done it a long long time ago.

#41 ·
I look forward to seeing it in person ... and hearing it at a track ... maybe another track meet just to hear your car go and see how well it runs.

-Ray-

#42 ·
This is what i did to make datalogging the AFR a little cleaner. I don't have to play hide and seek with the Firewire cable to be able to datalog. I can simply just connect a firewire cable to this port and then to the Xcal.

I ordered it from www.markertek.com.

[NA1394-6-B] Neutrik NA1394-6-W-B Firewire 6-Pin Female to Female Panel Mount - Black @ $6.26/ea = $6.26

Edit: I will be changing out the screws with black ones to clean it up a little more.

#43 ·
New Update,

I ran another tune today in 3rd from 2k to 6,250 rpm and everything looked great; boost is looking great at about 11 pounds or so. Tuning process is about 95% done. Waiting to hear from Tom about what he sees in the log. I may get yet another tune later.

The bumper got painted today and the shop is going to pick it up and install it in the morning. I'm looking forward to seeing my car in my driveway again!!!

#47 ·
another thing i cant wait for is my RS quarter panels to be on damnit haha.

oh and having the oil filter conveniently located hehind the driver side of my bumper.

#55 ·
Sorry about the long delay In responding. Work has been a little busy. I'm still working on the car but have not had the kind of time I need to really get into the nitty gritty like I want. I'm still working out a few small bugs. Had to order another new front o2 sensor cuz the last new one was not trimming out right. Also ordered and replaced the IACV for a ckt code. I was able to get it down to Fast Lane Turbo for a dyno tune and it is about 90% done for now until I have a chance to get down there again. It appears that Tom's tune was WAaaaaaay off the mark and now my car runs fine. Total waste of money hiring Tom.

Oh yeah, the rear main gave out again. I'm thinking that the mechanic got his finger oils on the seal and thus it gave out again. Gonna replace again at their expense since the work is under warranty. And while they're fixing that they will be custom fabbing an oil catch can so I can help draw out a little more crankcase pressure.

Other than these things she is running great and pulls like a bat outta hell!!!!! Should hopefully be dyno tuning the final end all by next week.

Note to you guys: Toms tunes are a waste of time, I've already wasted my money for you... No need to add to that expense.

#57 ·
It appears that Tom's tune was WAaaaaaay off the mark and now my car runs fine. Total waste of money hiring Tom.

Note to you guys: Toms tunes are a waste of time, I've already wasted my money for you... No need to add to that expense.
good to know, cause if i wanted to get my car tuned ill be going through Fswerks. so are planning to go with us to austin for their meet, or this week's track meet?

#56 ·
what numbers were you at?

i just sent my snout off to massive
2.4" and 2.6" pulley being put on.
then its all together to be sent off to steigmeire

#59 ·
NO need to start Tom bashing ... but I would say when it comes to FI tunes you are better off with tuning at the shop that is helping you with your FI or any other local shop.

I would think Remote tunes are pretty hard to figure in the world of FI.

His tune is good for the NA group but hard to hit it on the marker for FI, since he doesn't see the car and what it is doing. Only taking what you tell him.

-Ray-

#63 ·
Thank you , remote tuning works like this

I send a FI tune as a start up tune , with that I send a list of things to log , you log the startup file and send me the log (just lik on a dyno , I see the same thing in the log as if I was sitting at the car)

Then we do driveability , if the o2 isnt reading right or there is a vac leak then this is way off as in the case with mdgonzo101

Then we move to WOT , again I see the exact same logs as the dyno shop sees , and as stated I have dozens of happ customers with remote tuning

There were issues that havent been posted with his car and he knows this but I am not going to bash him back

Tom

#65 ·
Guys ... You need to take this issue into PMs ... no need to start anything in here.

This needs to be handled off the main forum.

-Ray-

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.