Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2012 a/c problem

209K views 340 replies 135 participants last post by  CTdb81 
#1 ·
Has any one had issues with their 2012 Focus in stop and go traffic with the a/c stops blowing cold air?When my Wife first got the car a/c would not work took it back and they said a fuse had dislodged and reinserted it no problems after that until this problem and of coarse Ford can not locate this issue has to become more of problem for them to locate this issue.

#81 ·
I've been playing around with my AC, and here is what I discovered, which MAY answer some other people's questions.

If you turn the knob to the colder settings, but don't turn the AC button on, it does blow some cooler aid (which is what I have experienced in EVERY vehicle I've ever owned), but you also get sort of a musty like smell as well. For those of you who have the AC button on, and are getting cool air (not cold), and the musty smell, I'm wondering if the AC compressor is actually not functioning in this case for you. The button is on telling you it's on, but it's not actually functioning, and therefor you don't actually have any AC.

I've also noticed that when the AC is on, my car seems to have a varying degree of coldness output, even when on the coldest Max AC setting. Sometimes it just seems to be cooler than without the AC button on, other times it seems to be blowing out pretty cold air. The test I always do it holding my hand up to a vent. At it's coldest, it does cool my hand down enough that I actually want to remove it because it seems like it's getting too cold. When it doesn't seem to be functioning at it's coldest, I could leave my hand on the vent all day long.

This morning I found it kind of odd (even though my car had been sitting outside all day yesterday in the sun), that when I turned the AC on this morning (again, using Max AC setting), it was blowing relatively hot air out for about a good 10 seconds or so before it started to blow out cooler air.

It's not officially summer yet, so I'm still using the AC off and on, but I'm not sure I'm satisfied with how it's performing, so I may need to take my car in for service for this issue. With that said, I do recall saying right where I got the car (and I took delivery last August), that the AC didn't at all feel like it was outputting cold air like it should, like I never wanted to turn the fan setting off from "4", because then it would get too warm.

#84 ·
I have had to have the AC on max and fan setting at 4 to have the cabin temp approach comfortable also. When the Texas summer hits full force the AC will simply not keep up. I hope with the information I see on this thread I can bring the technicians up to speed if it is something they have not encountered yet.

#85 ·
Its amazing that I came upon this forum and read about this issue. Summer is about to hit in the southwestern desert of the US and I have to say I'm more than a bit disappointed with my AC thus far. We have about 4.4k miles on our '12 Focus and 2 small children. The AC intermittently working fine and then not working at all is a bit of a concern. Tomorrow morning I have an appointment with my local Ford dealer to get its oil changed and tires rotated. I'll be asking them to take a look at the AC unit and its nice to see that there is indeed a known issue.

#86 ·
I am a technician, and I agree that our AC sucks. In my car, it takes a WHILE for the AC to cool the car down. It's definitely abnormal, compared to other cars. If I start my car and it's over 85 degrees, I have to put it on max and 4 and wait about 10 minutes before I start getting good cold air. Now if I get up to highway speeds then it comes on sooner. That usually points to poor air flow across the condenser at low speeds, which would be the job of the electric fan. I am wondering if the fan in our cars in inadequate for the job.

I work on all brands of cars all day, and some cars will chill me within 30 seconds of starting them up with the AC on.

#88 ·
Good to see a techs view w 12 focus daily driver..
What do you think about the temp dial.. (not sure what controls this.. Sensors?) it appears many might agree it isjust off.. I would expect around the middle to register temps in the comfort zone (my vw cc displayed 72 right on mid -12 oclock position) and then just go warmer or cooler by direction..
This one feels like this:
Middle -12 oclock- HOT
Further to the right: gets real hot..
All the way right : HELL
To the left at ~ 9-10 oclock: comfortable
Further left gets more comfortable
All the way to left- max cold: give it all u got - feels like this maybe the only setting that defies any sensors/ programing / logic whatever it is.. and works

#87 ·
Hmmmm, I think I read in another thread that ford doesn't fully charge the ac with coolant to save money. I don't know if its true or not but it might be a good idea to run it by your dealers. For the record I have the automatic system and have no complaints.

#89 ·
What you read in another thread was speculation from some one on the forum, not sure I would trust that as gospel. You can have just as many problems from over charging the system as you can from undercharging the system with the added risk of a high pressure a/c line rupture.

#92 ·
I thought it was just my imagination but this may be the case for me also. The occasional use of A/C on 80+ degree days earlier this year made my A/C feel a little broken.

Several days in a row reporting 104 to 108 and it cools off in a less than a minute and I run it on 2 or 3.

Mostly because on 2 it will sometimes get the turned off/humid smell symptom. Never on 3 but it gets a little chilly. I figure it's still a little broken because of that but have not bothered to get it checked out. When working properly this is not an inadequate A/C system. If it feels that way your A/C is broken.

Getting your dealer to do something about it is another matter. They replaced my wife's compressor and hers has been perfect ever since.

#93 ·
Update from my original post. Per the dealership the AC was indeed running out of range and giving a code of 4564. The range hi 205 and low 45 w duct temp of 56. Found that the system was overcharged and reserviced into approved operating spec. hi 180 low 34 duct temp 44.

This may be a factory issue where the over pressurized over serviced reservoire is causing poor initial performance. It would also stand to reason why the more its used, the more it seems to work correctly. Thanks Gaudin Ford, you guys did a good job.

#110 ·
thanks for the Codes and info. I contacted my dealership, and gave them the skinny on my car's AC with your Code number. Hope that helps them! they can't get me in for a week, but it's not supposed to be AS hot here in Cincy the next few days.

they said I was the first 2012 Focus that they're heard of that had an A/C unit that wouldn't blow cold air. My car only blows cool air regardless of setting.

#94 ·
I find that if I run my A/C on Max. Then turn off the car, run into the store, come back out, start the car, it shows max a/c on the screen, but it isn't. I have to turn off max a/c, and usually the blows will turn up higher than they were, then I can turn max a/c back on and it seems to work. Very weird. I would think max a/c would tell it to blast away as soon as the car starts, but it doesn't work.

#97 ·
Just to add my experience... the A/C condenser froze up late last summer. Started to burn up the serpentine belt as well. Ford handled that very quickly under warranty. About two weeks ago, I took it back in because it was blowing hot air for the A/C. It was just a burned out fuse this time. Still, not a very good track record with the A/C. That said, Ford has taken care of me during service visits without fail.

#98 ·
My AC works well when I'm just cruising along, however, if I'm driving like an idiot and flooring it from every light (hey, sometimes I get in that mood) it will blow out hot air for about 5 seconds. Then it will go back to cold air. It's a very noticeable difference in the temperature of the air. Does anyone else experience this?

#106 ·
A/C not working from day one fixed

First post thought I would add my issue...bought my car 2 weeks ago 3 days in I took it back to the dealer for A/C not working from day one...invoice says wireing harness was repaired. Works great now. All in all been driving it alot took it on a 2.5 hour road trip SUPER happy about mileage as I owned a mustang before. Very happy with this car.

#108 ·
Living in Phoenix, AC is a must. I took it to a dealer with my concern and was told all is well. It's roughly 105 out now. I drove the highway 20 miles home and was still sweating when I pulled into my garage. I find it hard to believe this is the norm for a brand new car. Two words sum up the way I'm feeling about the car...buyers remorse.

#109 ·
After complaining about the a/c on this car for almost a year, my dealership "finally" listened to me and have replaced the condenser, which was "cracked" and was constantly leaking coolant...duh, why they don't listen to the people that actually drive the vehicle is beyond me! Anyway, I get my car back this afternoon and they have also performed the transmission/abs etc. update and they finally figured out how to install the "remote start" that actually works with my existing I/A key-fob! I will report back after I've had the car for a bit.

#114 ·
Noemi, shouldn't I at least let the dealer take a look before we "escalate" the process?!...]
Absolutely DaeHanL! The Customer Service Manager works in conjunction with the local Ford dealer to assure the issue is corrected, and you are satisfied with the outcome. The option to escalate the concern is your choice. [:)]

Have a great weekend!

Noemi

#115 ·
AC issue

I took my car in this week bc the ac settings are off by one. When the arrow points forward it blows on my face and feeet. When it is on the face and feet setting it blows through the defrost and feet and so on. every setting is wrong. The dealer said thats just how it is and theres nothing they can do. Does anyone else have this issue?

#119 ·
I took my car in this week bc the ac settings are off by one...
Hey megancp2,

Maybe the car is confused, maybe not. [:D] Let's have the issue reviewed by the Customer Service Manager for your area. Shoot me a PM with the VIN, current mileage, personal, and dealer contact info so I can begin the escalation process.

We had a problem with ours, but it turns out it was overcharged and now it works great. Had the DCT reprogrammed and the wiper recall fixed all on the same day as well and it took less than half a day.
Awesome to know, MC1992! I'm sure you'll enjoy the summer even more. [:)]

Thanks, FCS, I plan to take it in for the first oil change and will bring it up to them then.
jpolk84,

Thanks for letting me know. I'm available if you need assistance.

I told the service manager about your issue when I took mine in. Guy said he never even heard of the issue and more than likely didn't bother looking into it...
Hey 04SVTF303,

The offer is still available to escalate the AC issue to the Customer Service Manager. I'll need the requested info to begin the process.

Take care!

Noemi

#122 ·
took mine in, and they said the PCM reflash was the problem. They flashed it again, and said it now works. I think it's the same as before... going to wait for the temp to get warmer outside, to prove the air still isn't cold. They tested my AC when it was 57º outside... genius

#123 ·
#125 ·
Duct temp in the 40s would be ideal.
Would be ideal, but not always realistic. A properly working A/C system is designed to drop temperatures about 30 degrees under ambient. That means if it's 100 outside, a 70 degree vent temp would still be working proper. If you can get 50-60 degree vent temps on a 100 degree day, you're way ahead of the game. Some cars can cool more than 30 under, some can't. It depends on the type of car, and how it's system functions.

#124 · (Edited)
yeah, i'm certain the air needs to be colder than 71º
Vent temps were in the 50's...according to the tech. It was at most 60º outside at the time of the test.

Guess I'll have to wait until the end of the day, in the 80's+

Schedule for EOD, Friday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.