Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Race Header

2K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  fokuzx3 
#1 ·
I know that this thread has been wriiten up a thousand times but i cant find any info on it

what do i need to get if i were to go for a racing header, and what kind of gains and are there any really good brands to choose from.

My mods:
custom exhaust
volant intake

Thanks for the help
Kyle

#2 ·
Not much that you NEED besides the header itself to hook it up, but a new flex pipe wouldn't hurt. You will need band-aids from scrpping your knuckles to hell getting the old manifold out.

The header will compliment you other mod's, I would guess you would see another 10-12 WHP out of it.

#3 ·
If you want some real powerful gains and some big sound go with a full tube racing header. The Focus Central 4-2-1 model is a great header in my opinion. I have seen the OBX header and it rainbows out right away. I have had the JBA shorty headers on and the it doesn't even compare with FC 4-2-1. For sound and power gains go with the racing header.

#5 ·
For my own personal reference...how about the sensors and stuff? Getting a 4-2-1 is in the cards, and an SCT chip is going to be WAY down the road, but until then... ::shrugs::

I know I need to get the cheater wire for the second sensor, but is there anything else to consider electronics-wise with going from a shorty header and cat to a 4-2-1?

#9 ·
The FC 4-2-1 has hookups for both sensors. I have both installed, wired and no check engine light.

Can you tune the SCT for 2nd o2 shut-off, yes.

Emissions tests are for tree huggers [:)] Some people have got by with them, others have not. Worst case scenarion, put you rold setup pn, go get tested and swap again.

#13 ·
FC headers are being made by OBX now...so save yourself some cash and buy the obx off ebay, thats what i did and yes the header turned colors, but the quality is top notch. Fell right into place and looks great, performs great, and sounds great. You need the o2 cheater to keep from getting a CEL. I have had mine on for about 7 months, no check engine lights, and i passed the emissions testing with it on. So i say go with the OBX 4-2-1 header or the SVT header conversion...

#14 ·
tension001 said:
thats what i did and yes the header turned colors, but the quality is top notch.
I certainly enjoy my Jet Hot coating not turning colors and being guranteed against corrosion for 5 years. I don't know what coating process OBX uses since Jet Hot has the ceramic coating market cornered.

tension001 said:
I have had mine on for about 7 months, no check engine lights, and i passed the emissions testing with it on. So i say go with the OBX 4-2-1 header or the SVT header conversion...
That's only true if your state only does a sniffer test. States like California do a visual inspection and will fail you on site if they can see the cat has been deleted. If you want to stay emissions legal, go with the SVT conversion kit from McNews.

#15 ·
I added a high flo cat right after the flex pipe, you should stay legal with that. At least visually, I don't know about the sniffer. Also my light came on once but went off after a while and hasn't come on since. I was told that as long as the cat is close enough the light won't come on but I'm not sure about that

#16 ·
use WD40. it would make ur life way easyer. trust me.

and and i'll say go with the one @ ebay. its a good race header for the $$$$. not too different with FC or FS, if any.

i HIGHLLY recommend u get the FS Stealth Muffler. and added in there. it quiets the exhaust a lot and no too different in preformance, i even think u gain a bit more troque, like 1 or 2 :p

good luck

#18 ·
jerryzx3 said:
I was told that as long as the cat is close enough the light won't come on but I'm not sure about that
That's only if you locate it so far away from the stock position that the exhaust cools enough to not convert enough pollutants. I don't know if going with a high-flow cat will do that. Anyway, a highflow cat still boxes you into a shorty header unless you go with an SVT system. There are benefits to running a long tube header over a shorty that have nothing to do with the fact that the catalytic converter is removed.

#19 ·
zslaton said:
I certainly enjoy my Jet Hot coating not turning colors and being guranteed against corrosion for 5 years. I don't know what coating process OBX uses since Jet Hot has the ceramic coating market cornered.
Its not coated... its just stainless. Most people send theirs off to Jet Hot for the coating...

That's only true if your state only does a sniffer test. States like California do a visual inspection and will fail you on site if they can see the cat has been deleted. If you want to stay emissions legal, go with the SVT conversion kit from McNews.
Not true, My car would fail a sniffer test. The sniffer would pick up that their is no cat on the car because of the exhaust gases. It passed the visual inspection and the tampering inspection. I have the MIL eliminator in place; the guy raised the hood and looked around. Then he plugged it into the computer that does all the computer inspections, it ran that and came out clean, just like the cat was functioning so i got a sticker. Im sure the guy inspecting my car KNEW it was wrong but since the computer said it was fine he can't get in trouble.

#20 ·
tension001 said:
Not true, My car would fail a sniffer test.
I guess none of this is entirely rock-solid true. Depending on how old your car was (2000?) you could pass the sniffer. That's becasue almost all states with sniffer tests allow some aftertreatment degradation and still pass you. A study at Carnegie Mellon found that some emissions on vehicles 8 years or older were allowed to be 30 times the certification level (that is, the level of emissions the car was certified to 8 years earlier) and still pass. So depending on your state's allowable emissions degradation, you may still pass without a catalytic converter.

#23 ·
I can say that in MD, with my SCT chip (rear O2 disabled) and having a race header, I passed. Yes, obviously any individual could sense that my exhaust 'scent' was different, however, with the FS SCT chip and with the race header, the guy plugged in and didn't find anything awry, so I was sent on my way.

(Yes, truthfully, I was kinda shaking until they said I was cleared to leave)

#24 ·
covert1 said:
(Yes, truthfully, I was kinda shaking until they said I was cleared to leave)
Dude, you got rock solid brass ones!!! I would never take my car in for an inspection with the race header on it. You could run into some random dick who makes it his business to bust you. I do believe most states have massive fines and possibly jail time if they find out that you actually deleted your cat and that is what made you fail the sniffer/visual test.

#25 ·
haha i did it too, i rolled up with it on and the guy took it in the shop, it was obvious cause of the exhaust, i was running 93 octane so it had that super great smell lol :) I was shaking too i was afraid of getting fined for it, but i figured i buy stuff from the guy all the time so why not give it a go, worst case scenario would be drive home and replace the stock mani and cat. If you can make your computer read correctly, you should be able to pass. Just make sure you know the person doing the inspection a little bit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.