Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Cell phone mounts.. let's see what you got?!

177K views 213 replies 104 participants last post by  StLCards 
#1 ·
I have a Ram Mount system on my motorcycle..
And was thinking of doing something similar for the car (I use my iPhone as GPS).

Here is what the setup looks like on my moto:

Anyone have anything pictures/details of their car setup?
I'm looking for some creative ideas.
I am also looking to avoid the suction cup setup.

See less See more
#2 ·
I just keep mine in my pocket usually. Or the centre console if I'm charging it. I want to mount it but I hate suction cups. I'm not really a fan of vent clips either. So hopefully people have some good ideas.

Sent from your mom's house.

#40 ·
True, don't even know why they bothered with a CD player since everything is digital download mp3 or mp4. Wish they would have put a DIGITAL connection in the media hub instead of the stupid ANALOG RCA crap. The only people who can use that are Apple fanboys since Apple only outputs analog. My Android, HTC Amaze 4G, is digital and I need a HDMI input. Damn media hub is useless to me, except for the SD card reader and USB port. Way to keep up with tech Ford!

#95 ·
I logged in JUST to say... DO NOT use that mount on the leather dash. I used the same exact mount for my phone and after about 2 months I removed it and it left me a nice indent where the mount was. Can't get rid of the indent either. Dash looks awful now. I'm pretty OCD when it comes to my Focus and keeping her looking nice, and having that mount ruin my dash was infuriating... Just a heads up!

#19 ·
Here is mine. I use it with my iPod when I want to film or when using the Obie app in conjunction with my PLX WiFi device.

#24 ·
I think I'm going to stick with the cup holder. Other than the crazy expensive $67 accessory (which I'd gladly pay a more realistic $15 for), nothing is impressing me.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

#26 ·
Why is it that these holders seem awesome - they seem like something I could not live without - then when I find out the cost, I'm instantly turned off?

I know I would use it almost every day, but it is hard for me to justify paying more than $30 for a phone holder.

#27 ·
My iottie was only $16 shipped, but even without a sale you can get it for around $20. The suction cup is solid on the dash. As I said I would like the phone a little closer, but the only mount that does that is the pro-clip, and it is way way way overpriced.

#31 ·
more signifcant than me having an mtx (which i dont i have an lentec) is the fact that i have an mk1

i honestly dont remember where the cup holders were in the MK3/ST i drove... but the neck on that holder is flexible.

the actual holder also spins 90 degrees so you can go vertical or horizontal/wide. my wife broke mine and it still works better than any thing else i've had.

the mk1 cup holder position tucks it nicely under the dash and easy to hide a charge cable... where the mk1 cup holder fails is when its time for a big gulp because that aint fitting under the HVAC controls... my coffee cup barely fits.

cups typically get carried between the ebrake and the passenger seat so i dont miss the cup holder.

#46 ·
Picked up this guy a couple months ago. Not the ideal solution but I couldn't justify $60+ for a proclip. The Bad: it make a tight window to the ignition; not too bad though. The portion where the mount attaches to the shaft is very loose but actually hasn't been a problem. The Good: It puts my phone close enough that I can see details easily which I feel is a pretty powerful safety feature, doesn't interfere with shifter, allows me to quickly toss it into the holder without any fuss, offers adjustable positionand most importantly, allows use of both cup holders. For $25, not a bad deal.

#49 ·
Recently updated my mount. I used to have a suction cup one but switched to ram mount for a future long trip:

Normal everyday commmunitng:

Long commutes switch ti Ipad using the Iphone as a mobile hotspot. My use:

When kids are in the car can use it to entertain them:

If the wife wants to watch a movie or update route, she has access to it as well.

#54 ·
Here's a picture of the Pro Clip for the right side (someone earlier had one for the left "A" pillar one).

They aren't cheap, but there are specific holders for many many devices, and the base mount is vehicle specific. I've been using them for about a decade.
http://www.proclipusa.com

#55 ·
I'm looking for a phone mount that will work in here.

She usually keeps it in the cup holder but when both of us are in the car we are usually on a road trip and the cup holders are taken. She hates to keep the phone in the upper compartment cause it get hot in there. I was wanting to get something that clips onto the vents but the vents aren't normal.

Sent from 34.0764° N, 118.4296° W

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.