Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Evap "not ready"

12K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  S0C0nFused 
#1 ·
Long story short...

trying to get a state inspection for my car.

i cant have more than one not ready. My second 02 is my one "not ready".

Currently my evap is showing "not ready" and everything else is good to go. I have driven over 200 miles, as well as going over fords drive cycles.

the evap codes were turned back on the most recent tune. No CEL, no pending codes, no evap leaks (car was on a smoke machine).

tune and datalogs were sent to Blivet (and Rudy) at SCT, awaiting response from them as well.

car: 2004 SVT Focus w/JRSC BBK, with xcal2 (also have a recently acquired xcal3)

is it normal for the EVAP to take this long to show ready? or should I be looking for something mechanical (i dont think its tune related)

See less See more
#2 ·
Usually if something is broken it will fail the tests instead of, not ready. For the Evap tests to run i think you need over a half tank of gas and the engine needs to be warm but not hot. keep driving it, the car will run its tests when all the criteria is met

#3 ·
yeah, I just ran into this exact problem with the EVAP and state inspection. I drive through two full tanks of gas and took it back to them and passed. Just drive it a little more.

#4 ·
I will update this thread with a CRITICAL bit of info regarding the EVAP system.
(as applies to 05+. Not sure about earlier years)
Very Important >>
The Evap system will NOT cycle, and ECU will report an I/M mode of "incomplete" IF the fuel is 3/4 full or more, OR 1/4 or less.
I just got my 2 year test and found this out the hard way. Did not recall seeing it anywhere else as regards this subject.

#6 ·
If you live in or near Saint Louis. Yes, there very serious. You cannot have a single I/M not ready (or incomplete as it were). No codes etc.
I also re-looked at the drive cycle test. Step 2 clearly states that the fuel level should be between 1/4 and 3/4 full (3/4 preferred). I read right over that. My bad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.