Focus Fanatics Forum banner

HOW-TO: Making an Ashtray Switch Panel (for neons, LEDs, and whatever else)

33K views 71 replies 35 participants last post by  OrangeSVTguy 
#1 · (Edited)
this is my first "HOW TO" so i hope i do this right... [8]

This how to make an Ashtray Switch Panel to control your Neons, LEDs, Fog Lights, and whatever else that could be controlled with a switch. This mounts in your 00-04 factory pull out ashtray. Only minor modifications will be required to install this switch panel and are completly reversable.

I am a sheet metal worker so I have all the tools required to make this job easier and also have access to the metal very easlly. I also linked pictures of the tools/materials below to keep this page as small as possible for the 56k users so be sure to click them if you don't know what they are.

What you will need:
26 gauge sheet metal 6-3/4" x 4-3/4" (find at home depot etc...)
4 - On/Off switches (can be lighted)
12 ga. wire
14 ga. wire
spray paint (color of your choice)
hot glue gun
ruler
sharpie permanent marker (or scratch awl)
inline fuse holder or add-a-circuit

drill
Reamer Drill Bit (Picture)
tin snips (rights and straights)
tongs (folding bar)
Pics of Tools (tin snips, tongs, scratch awl)

to disassemble the ashtray, pop off the top spring plate. next turn it over and take a small screwdriver and pop out the small block tabs through the little square holes to remove the block in the front.

first take your piece of sheet metal, measure and draw lines as follows
you'll notice how one side is shorter then the other, this is because one side of the ashtray is taller then the other. that way the tray should slide in easily without the switches catching onto anything.

cut out using the straight tin snips

fold in a 1/2" all the way around using your tongs

next fold the remaining 3 sides in all about 85* angle. it will seat in the ashtray a whole lot nicer and easier.

measure your switches and then center them up on your cover.
(the mounting holes for mine were 13/16" so I measured 5/8" from the sides to center of hole and then 3/4" from the front to center of hole. then measure 1-3/8" center to center of holes for the front to back one.) using the reamer drill bit, drill out the holes for your switches

next you can spray paint the cover the color of your choice and then let dry for a few hours.

then snap switches into the holes. using a hot glue gun, glue the switches from underneath to keep them from turning.

here are some of the ones i made for other users on FF.com

I'll come back and edit this so I can show you how to wire it up.

See less See more
#2 ·
Now that is what your supposed to use the ash tray for.

too bad the 05 and up lost it

#4 ·
Great write up! I am glad I already have one of these... because I'd never be able to make one myself.. I'm all thumbs... hehe.

Application pic!

#72 ·
Just curious if he still has his? I wonder how it held up with the test of time? He does have the first one I made up or prototype lol.

#9 ·
levelseven said:
Bump for the best idea EVER for a place to put switches.
I just put my switches on the fuse cover right next to where they get power
But I don't need them all in the same spot, I like this idea, good place for a hidden switch or something.
I'd like to see something like this using only the back half of the ashtray

#12 ·
[duh]... lol kidding

it can be used for whatever you want that can be controlled with an on/off switch. example: foglights, neons, LEDs.

#14 ·
^^^^^

David.. You might want to try reading the post. You'll find out these are not for sale, this is a how-to.

And that yellow buttons weren't an option in the first place.

If they WERE, I'd have some.. hehe.

#15 ·
CrazyMatt said:
And that yellow buttons weren't an option in the first place.

If they WERE, I'd have some.. hehe.
There looks to be yellow switches in the ninth picture.

Oh and BTW can you fit six switches in there? Maybe a smaller spaceing.

#16 ·
^^^^^

Those switches aren't yellow... they are the amber ones. Flash makes em look funny.

TRUST me on this... When these were for sale in the BST forums, I was the first one to buy one, and I whined to Orange about not having the option for yellow or purple switches. Hehe.

#17 ·
Love the ashtray idea my friend. I came up with an idea on my own for the same kinda thing. I bought a ford OEM console armrest (i have an ebay contact that sells em) and got myself a really cool switchboard. I installed the armrest (in what would be the stock location on a standard focus, I have an SVT) and installed the switchboard inside the armrest console (you open the armrest and there's the switchboard). I used "F-18 style" switches with LED's to give it a James Bond/Knight Rider kinda look. So far I think I'm the only guy that's done it (at least no one has posted about it that I've seen so far). If you guys would like pics I'd be happy to get you some. Just thought I'd throw the idea out there since we're talkin switchpanel stuff :)

#20 ·
yes POST some pics NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

or i'll get you for jacking my thread [:D] kidding! lol would like to see them though[thumb] great idea btw

#23 ·
Well there is only about 3 inches of space when the tray is open. So I would think that 6 would be the max, and it would be tight.

1. CCFL under the seats.
2. LEDs in the vents.
3. Video screen power.
4. LED bar in the grill.
5. Underglow kit.
6. Video input switch to change from an external mounted camera and my xbox.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.