Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Basic Advantage Usage - Speed Limiter

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  1turbofocus 
#1 ·
Now that my Focus is back to (mostly) stock, I want to start playing around with the Advantage III software to learn more about basic tuning. To that end, I am trying to create a very basic tune that is otherwise stock except for disabling the EGR system and speed limiter.

EGR seems simple enough, just set "EGR Type Switch" to 2. Right?

But disabling the speed limiter seems a bit more involved. From what I can tell, the relevant options are "Speed Limit Off/On" and "Speed Limit Output Shaft Off/On", as well as the "Speed Limit VS Vs Torque" function.

My initial thought is to set both "Speed Limit Off" and "Speed Limit On" to 255, the max value, which seems to indicate that it will never turn on. For "Speed Limit Output Shaft Off" and "Speed Limit Output Shaft On", I set the values to 15000 which is what the Mako software tells me it should be in order to disable the speed limiter. Seems arbitrary, but okay...

Then comes "Speed Limit VS Vs Torque." This seems to be the mapping that determines how to gradually reduce engine torque to create a gentle speed limiter. Again, I follow the Mako software's advice and set all values to 1.0.

Now, my question: is this sufficient to disable the speed limiter? I cannot find any explanation on how all of these options affect each other. For instance, is it necessary to make changes in all of these settings, or would it be sufficient to just set the "Speed Limit Off/On" options? Is the "Speed Limit VS Vs Torque" function still used somewhere/somehow if "Speed Limit Off/On" is set to 255, implying the speed limiter will never activate? And how are the "Speed Limit Off/On" options used differently from the "Speed Limit Output Shaft Off/On" options? Is that only used in some form of traction control setup where the vehicle speed may not correlate to the output shaft speed?

I apologize if these are very basic questions.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.