Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Bottoming out and spring spacers/lift

7K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  PumkinSvt 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I'm new here and looking for some advice.

I recently purchased a full FRPP suspension kit slightly used from a member on here. For the most part I am pretty happy with it. It was a big improvement over my very worn out suspension, however there are a couple problems.

The first problem is that it is bottoming out in the rear over some of those long dips in the road. When I go over a quick bump, even if it is pretty aggressive, the suspension usually doesn't bottom out, but those long dips do it every time. My thought is that this setup is just too soft for how low it is (1.5 in lower), but I was hoping to get some input from those with more knowledge. Could it just be I just need stiffer struts/shocks?

I live in Michigan and the roads suck here so I like that they ride over the bumps pretty well, so my thought was to just get some ~.5 inch spacers and lift her back up, but I cannot find any! Does anyone know if they are made? or maybe there is another way to lift it a little?

I really appreciate any help you can give me!

Ian

See less See more
#2 ·
You can buy rubber spacers that fit between the coils, I've used them with some success. The rubber ones I bought would eventually split so it was something I needed to check once in awhile. Actually it'd usually happen while driving and I'd hear it and then see a random chunk of rubber bounce away behind the car. The one's I had were designed to slip in two ways for different amounts of lift.

I got mine from a fleet farm but you can buy them online, they're cheap, just google "rubber coil spring spacer"

Here, for instance: http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/rubber-coil-spring-booster--small.html?utm_source=googlepepla&utm_medium=adwords&id=19136088729&utm_content=pla&gclid=CPygosLM67QCFehDMgodiAMAgQ, although I think you can find them cheaper than that.

#4 ·
Well I just bought the ST distance kit off of st12131. But I am still curious, is it common to be bottoming out in the rear when you lower it? or is it just this setup? And do you think it's the springs or the shocks? Just trying to figure out why it would do this. I had planned on lifting it back up a little anyway, so it's not a big deal, just wondering.

#5 ·
I really dont have enough knowledge to answer that question, but I did notice a huge difference when I replaced my rear shocks. When they were out of the car... the new ones took quite a bit of force to compress, the old ones compressed pretty easily. But that doesnt help you when they are on the car.

Glad ST was able to help you. I was going to buy them from him a while back... we both changed jobs and didnt have a need for them. I hope they work for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.