Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2012 Focus SEL - Sirius Radio Module Missing

30K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  bipolarbear43 
#1 ·
Good afternoon. We just purchased a beautiful 2012 SEL in Tuxedo black with stone leather. The only thing it seemed to be missing was the MFT (my ford touch) and Titanium package but we didnt want to pay an extra couple grand when we were after fuel mileage. The SEL has all of the features we were looking for except when the salesman got in the car to run through his checklist and pushed on the Sirius button nothing happened. He ran through the in-dash menu and Sirius was there but subdued like it could not be selected. We then consulted the almighty options list and Sirius was missing. The car has everything except Navigation, MFT and the system that helps you parallel park.

I am thinking that its just a little module under the dash that could be ordered from the parts department....NOT! They didnt have any visibility on the part in question and made a call to some Ford folks who didnt either. Granted the 2012 just hit the streets but does anyone have any idea whether it is as simple as installing a radio module or how Ford is dealing with this? The vehicle interface is ready it is missing the Sirius radio.

Thanks.

#2 ·
You will have to research this but this is how...

Go back to dealership, find a car just like your except it has what you want,write down its vin number

Now go to www.fordparts.com
Plug in YOUR vin number, go to Category of Electronics and Telematics then select Mobile Multi-media, print everything then pertains to radio.

Now plug in the other cars VIN number do same thing and see what differences there are

My bet [I could be wrong] is that it is the WHOLE module has to be changed to get what you want it is just not adding a module

#4 ·
My bet [I could be wrong] is that it is the WHOLE module has to be changed to get what you want it is just not adding a module
The dealership didnt have a parts list that included just the sirius module and from what I have read in other places, the Sirius is designed / included with the My Ford Touch system so I don't think you are too far off. Dealership did say that the Ford radio vendor they contacted are in progress to reverse engineer it and hopefully come out with something in the near future (whatever reverse engineer implies - especially a solution that doesn't void the warranty).

Greatly appreciate the posts folks. I will keep digging and might try the vin comparison between vehicles as you suggested or call Sirius.

#3 ·
Hello,

The best option is to contact SIRIUS at 1-888-539-7474 to see if it is available. You may need to provide your Satellite Electronic Serial Number (ESN) when contacting SIRIUS Radio. To retrieve your ESN:

For vehicles without the in-dash navigation system:
- Press the "SIRIUS" and the #1 pre-set buttons on the radio simultaneously and release.
- The SIRIUS Radio ESN will display on the radio message center.
- If further direction is needed, please consult the Electronics selection of your owner's guide.

~Natasha

#5 ·
Natasha,

If the Sirius module (the actual Satellite radio tuner) is not there, there won't be an ESN to retrieve, since it's stored in the tuner/module (which is not there?)

It could be that the car is Sirius-capable and not Sirius-equipped.

Sometimes the radio shows the available option, even though the car may not have that option ...

A tuner should be able to be added on ... we use a company that comes down and does the install.

#6 ·
Hi everyone,

Stryker777, I hope your dealer is able to provide a successful resolution, while keeping the warranty active. [:)] AWD_Gabe, you are correct that the ESN may not come up, but if it has a number assigned in the menu, it may help SIRIUS accurately answer any questions.

~Natasha

#8 ·
Hi Stryker777,

I reviewed with my technical expert, and at this time there are no options available from Ford to install SIRIUS. I am not sure if your dealer is working with a particular company on a "reverse engineer". I will keep you updated if I find out any future information on a SIRIUS module from Ford.

~Natasha

#9 ·
Excellent. Thanks for the help. I will keep my ear to the ground when / if Ford releases a module. On a similar vein, the radio is acting really querky so we made an appointment to check it out. It starts up on 'Sync line in' for starters vs. The state in which I left the system last. Perhaps the dealer can assess whether a module is present and just not active and if not, replace the radio with one that has Sirius. It is possible it might just be a software patch or firmware bugs but one can hope.

Thanks again!

Dave

#10 ·
2012 Focus SEL - Sirius Radio Module Missing also

We purchased a 2012 Focus SEL last week with the same Sirius issue. The dealer referred us to the local company that handles their radio problems. They said it needed a module and a wiring harness. They called the only 2 sources for the module and harness and they were told parts not available and will not be for possibly 6 months. I asked about a rough price to install and was told around $600.00. So we will pass on Sirius for this new car. Crazy for Ford to have the option to select Sirius on the radio and it doesn't work. I have Sirius on a 2008 F150 and and all I had to do was give them the ESN number but not with the new Focus. We were disappointed as well since our sales rep during demo of the car he optioned through all the radio select features and we all saw the Sirius option that now will never work!!!!!!!!

#12 ·
Hello edbydsea,

I understand your frustration at the display showing Sirius without having the ability to use it. Sirius functionality was an option with Group 301A, which also included MyFord Touch. If you have any additional questions, or need any assistance, please let me know.

Hi seamustry,

To clarify, Sirius was part of different Option Groups on both the SE and the SEL. It was Option Group 203A on the SE and Option Group 301A on the SEL.

~Natasha

#13 ·
So the SEL without My Ford Touch / the base SEL 300a does not include Siruis radio? I was all set to get this car and have a dealer looking for it right now. If that is indeed the case- is there a way to get Sirius in an SEL without getting the MFT? I drove a SE today that has the non MFT little display and sirius was i it- so its obviously able to do it on those radios? I really like the smaller display over the MFT- its very clean looking. But I obviously want Sirius radio as well. And I want dual climate controls thus I don't want an SE

#14 ·
Hi MikeR55,

The SE with the smaller display was option group 203A, which is not available on the SEL. Sirius is only available in the SEL with option group 301A or 303A, both with MyFord Touch. You may want to consider having your dealer search for one with those options if you decide to go with MyFord Touch.

~Natasha

#16 ·
I understand your spec package explanation, however with Sirius showing as an option button on the radio in our 2012 SEL Focus, though currently not selectable, it would be like Ford, GM, and Chrysler offering AM/FM radio in the 1960's and the FM button not working when the customers tried to step up to the then new technology of FM radio from AM, which was the standard basic radio in cars then.

#17 ·
I too just bought a 2012 Focus SEL back in September for my wife. Beautiful dark gray with black leather, Sync, 17" wheels the whole bit. The sales person told us that the radio was "Sirius" ready. http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_smile_cool.gif
Well now I see I'm not going to be able to get Sirius either. I can bring it up in the menu but it wont highlight, and after many attempts to locate an ESN # none can be found.http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/images/smilies/mad.gif I don't understand how a Ford can make such a tec savvy car but too cheap to put in the maybe $50.00 part to make this work. If it's in there, it must work on other models. Ford should have either made it a working option or they should have left it out completely. My 2 cents

#18 ·
I have a 08 focus that had stock radio with the sirius button but when i pressed that button the display would say no sat radio.... so after alot of call and questions i was told that i had to have the reciever and to see if it was installed in trunk on drivers side behind the carpet in fenderwell..

i looked and nope didnt have it. I looked around for days for answers. heres what i did i went to ebay and bought another stock radio out of a 2010 focus got it installed and walla i now have siruis.

ford dealer said that 09 to 2011 came with the reciever built into the radio. so i looked at both radios side by side and sure enough there the same other than the 2010 has a esn # on it under the serial number and my stock 08 didnt.

anyways when i installed it i used my little sirius radio antenna that just sticks to roof by magenet but i did have to go to salvage yard and get just the end for the antenna plug i spliced it into my antenna and it works fine.

you can pick the radios up off ebay pretty cheap i gave $30.00 shipped for mine

#19 ·
Thanks for the help "doubles". Unfortunately, the 2012 focus uses a different radio than the '09-'11 and all I can find is aftermarket for $400+. Thats way more than what I want to spend to get Sirius. Maybe after a few parts cars start to show up I can find a cheap radio from one of them.

#20 ·
My 2012 Sirius Radio Project

Hello Focus Fanatics,
I'm a new member and like many of you have been pretty frustrated with Fords poor upgrade option, lack of information (even at the dealer) and cost for getting Sirius activated in the SEL models. I was informed by the dealer as well that a module (which seems to have no part#) was available for $700 plus installation. I love Satellite radio but not for $700. So I took a different approach to finding an option. So the 302A model does not have satellite radio and the SEL faceplate does not include the Sirius button (I has a AUX, button). In my research, it seems that the A203 Radio is the only option available with built in satellite which was offered in the Focus SE models. Both of the A302 and A203 have Sync by the way. So, I thought, heck, why not just look for a A203 radio. I called around, searched etc and found a auto dismantler that had a what I believe is a A203 radio and faceplate, cost $200. I could never find the actual A203 part number but I believe I have one from an SE, faceplate has Sirius Button and the actual radio has two satellite antenna inputs (see pic) unlike the A302 which has one.

My investigation continues... In removing the A302 in my car and inspecting the wiring harness, there is only 1 satellite antenna input. I looked everywhere and could not find a 2nd. So, I checked the wiring out of the actual antenna, simply pull away the rubber gasket (hatchback)and take a peek. Sure enough, there was only 1 satellite wire coming out. Conclusion is ford must have 2 antenna models or, they split the 1 satellite input (perhaps with the assumed Sirius module)

My test (and where I'm stuck).. So I have an extra roof mount satellite antenna which plugged right into the 2nd antenna input in the A203. The wiring harness is plug and play and I used the faceplate with the Sirius button. With fingers crossed, the unit worked, but when pressing the Sirius button, the displays states "Sirius not equipped, contact your dealer" I actually laughed my xxx-off. I tried all the tricks to get the ENS# displayed and the option in the display still has Sirius dimmed. (bummer)..

Where I can use some help.... Here is what I'm thinking:
1) The A203 has to be programmed with my VIN#, something with ODB is not connection.
2) I actually do not have a A203 Radio, in which case I have no clue for the 2nd antenna input
3) There is actually a Sirius module that goes with this radio..

As you can see, I'm a bit of a techie but do not have much info on #1 above. I have no issue with going to ford and having them program the radio, but my fear is they will not have a clue..

Appreciate any comments or feedback.. by the way, I took the small roof mount antenna and put it underneath the ford one. I ran the wires nicely to the front and have my XM Onyx radio working great using line-in and the 12v adapter. Lost my cup holder as it has become my radio holder.. still got my xm/sirius fix back on..

Gary

#22 ·
I recently bought a Sirius equipped head unit and face plate (with the Sirius button for my recently purchased 2012 SEL. From what I have read scouring this forum, I will need to have the car flashed by a dealership to get this new head unit to work in the car. A question I can't find an answer for is what pieces of the antenna I will need to replace. There are specific satellite-enabled parts for a 2012 hatchback antenna. The screen capture is from http://www.group1autoparts.com/part...2/se/2-0l-l4-gas/electrical/antenna-and-radio which shows the different part numbers for satellite enabled head units.
. Anyone get this swap to work? What, if any, parts needed to be replaced in the antenna?

#23 ·
Moved this thread to the Car audio, SYNC & MFT section where you may find other threads on the subject & get better responses.

Can't read the screen capture well, it does show a different antenna base that would be the Sirius antenna. Antenna cable changes as well, no listings on the page for the other parts shown.

Does your receiver have an "ESN" number on it? If not, the other module shown may be the actual satellite radio unit.

#24 ·
whats prob happened is like my sel, the sat radio wasn't standard and some one changed the face plate and he module. sat button should be aux button. the issue with this is the car may not have the proper hookup. I took my se radio out that had sat and the difference is a cable that's not on my sel. no idea if there is a patch. looking into where it plugs into the harness to switch it all. that plug has to go to the sat ant.

#26 ·
At one time there was a pic diagram of all the parts from the antenna up to the radio with part numbers listed. Anyone still have this? Im going nuts trying to find it. If i remember correctly, only the ant wire to the stereo and the module had different part # to hook up satellite. Thanx

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.