Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Black shiny tires?

20K views 66 replies 35 participants last post by  Winterstone 
#1 ·
What products have you used on your tires to keep them nice and black?

I am using Armor All Extreme Tire Shine Gel and I like it.

#35 ·
I posted that same question up since I knew about that 20 years ago but I've always just stuck with actual tire stuff and some people fear it can age tires prematurely using it continually.

#44 ·
Tire Wax?

There was a product review on one of the car shows on Spike TV, I think it was Muscle Car, it was a wax and not a dressing. I have asked at all the auto part outlets and they only carry tire dressing. It dried quickly and they took a papertowel to the tire to show that it dried. It produced a nice matte finish. Does anyone have a clue to the product name? BTW, it wasn't one of "as seen on TV" products.

#45 ·
Where do you find that natural shine dressing? I am not a huge fan of the ultra shiny look as much these days.

#47 ·
You guys spew out information that you have no factual evidence to, just regurgitate whatever you hear from someone else. Fact: I used to use tire shine to clean my entire wheel and tire, fact at a test track I stopped quicker then stock even on a day with fresh tire shine. Oil does burn and your brakes get ridiculously hot.

#48 ·
I'm partial to Meguire's Endurance gel since it's easy to apply and actually lasts a few weeks even through a couple of rains. And it doesn't have that wet look to it where it just gives a nice matte sheen to the tire.

#49 ·
I'm gonna get some of that Mequiars. Thanks for the info. I used to like the ultra shiny tires but I do not know if it is age or what but I like the matte finish so much better these days.

I read where someone was talking about spraying tire shine on their rims. I still think tire shine and cleaner is 90% of the problem on the 17" Hyper Chrome rims on the 2010 SES models. I bought the 2010 I had with 22k on it and the rims where already peeling. I ended up buying a set of recond rims for it. I do not use anything but soapy water to clean my rims and tires. Those wheel cleaners are harsh.

Kinda off topic but I had to share this with you guys. Ok, the sales dept. sold a new Explorer today. The guy who bought the Explorer is very particular so the kid in clean up was using steel wool on the windows for some unknown reason and did not realize the black corner plastic applique's were actually just that, plastic. He thought they were a part of the glass as I sit here and shake my head. Anyhow, he runs over to my office freaking out. I told him to give me a minute. I went over to look at them and there was no way I could have took some 2000 and wetsand them out, buff and glaze them. They were beyond repair. I asked him why in the h#ll he was using steel wool on the windows in the first place as it was a brand new vehicle that was prepped and at one time was on the showroom floor. I am not even posting what his reply was. I said I'll get a set ordered and let the salesmen know. Just amazing.

That is why I did not have them even touch my car. It was on the show room floor anyhow and the person who cleaned it was actually a detailer, not a lot guy but he wanted more $$$ so he left. Hoping this will open some eyes up. I am most definitely bringing this up in the managers meeting tomorrow. People do not even have a clue how much damage is done to the finish of a new vehicle before they even take delivery of it but it comes down to the almighty dollar as usual.

#52 ·
Nothing wrong with using 0000 steel wool for glass but it has to be glass only. No rubber, plastic or painted surfaces. Will clean and can ploish the glass if done right. I have used it for years to get gunk off.

#55 ·
I bought the chemical guys vintage, it is amazing..

I have used so many different types of tire shines. I use to like the ultra shiny stuff but now days I like the natural brand new tire look with a minimal gloss. This stuff goes on great n makes them perfect looking for car shows n nights out or even just for fun.

I'm not a big fan of washing a car then putting on a shine that just flings off when u drive down the road even if you let your vehicle sit over night. 100% the chemical guys.

Oh plus the stuff is amazing on the exterior black plastic I've only had to put it on once which was like two weeks ago so can't tell you how long the product will last for exterior plastic but def gives you the new look. I did the plastic body parts n the rubber around the windows n it made a big difference. Here is two pictures of the wheels when done with this product.

Night time in my garage.

Next day outside.

The flash n sunlight make them look more shiny than they are btw.. N just noticed someone else has made a review about this product but here is another :)

#57 ·
You sound lot like me; I used to be a big fan of the wet shiny look but I like the "new" clean look. That looks great. I am going to have to purchase some of that stuff. Thx for the pics!

I am actually going to order right now as the wife's is getting the Liquid Glass, Collinite shine this weekend. Thx again.

#63 ·
WD40 is ok for your tires but since it is oil based I found when I tried it the tires got dirty quicker.
I prefer an actual wheel cleaner designed to lift brake dust and such and not just shine.

#65 ·
WD-40 is too watery.

The thicker the stuff the longer it lasts, I've found the gels to last the longest and no tire fling.
The Armor All gel "tire extreme" is pretty good....it's thick.

I've used 303 for years but just for the interior, again too watery a product for the harsh tire environment imop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.