Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Place to Stash a Gun?

20K views 36 replies 20 participants last post by  bassmobile 
#1 ·
Hey guys, first post!

I'm a new 2013 Focus Ti hatch owner coming from a 2010 F-150. One great feature of my "old" truck was that it had a "secret" compartment underneath the center section of the front split bench that was perfect for stashing my Glock 17. I'm looking for a place to store or mount it inconspicuously in my Focus but I can't find anything as simple as the F-150's solution, so I'm probably going to have to get creative. I want to be able to quickly get to it from the driver's seat. I'm the first to admit that I don't have the greatest imagination and I've only had the car for a few weeks so any advice from anyone on here that knows the ins and outs of it a little better than I do would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! [gunfire]

#3 ·
Yeah, I've seen those around. Great concept if you just want to have one accessible for long road trips or a place to transfer your carry gun while driving, but I'm looking more for a concealed place to store a dedicated gun for the long term.

...and broadcasting it on the internet so when I eventually come up with a secret place to hide my gun everyone can know where it is. [idea]

#4 ·
we know the city and car down to its very features haha

can I ask why we are driving around with guns? Not trying to start a gun ownership argument or anything, but why would you ever need one with you while you drive unless your a cop or drug dealer? If its just for 'piece of mind, cool, but I wana know

#11 ·
I don't think so. The best I've been able to come up with is something like what this guy's done below, but if I were to do it this way, it would only serve as a place to put my carry gun while driving. I'd have to draw/reholster every time I entered/exited the car and it wouldn't satisfy the desire to have one in there at all times. I suppose I could put one in a lockable, hidden, tethered Gun Vault type safe so that way there would always be one in the car, it could be hidden and much more secure than my previous truck's solution, and if I were going into a situation I thought might prove to be dangerous or whatever I could move it to the mounted holster...

Another concern is whether or not seeing the empty holster in my car might provoke a thief to break into my car thinking I just hid it in the glove box or console. Then I'd have to replace a window and whatever else might've gotten stolen.

WARNING: Slightly Off-Topic

I know to people on the outside looking in at the "gun community" it might seem excessive, and to a degree it probably is. But if I were somewhere and witnessed or was a victim of a crime that would warrant use of deadly force to save an innocent life or especially if I were in the middle of one of the mass shootings that seem to be all the rage these days and I chose not to be as prepared for it as I could be, I don't know if I'd ever forgive myself, if I even got the chance to. It's that mindset that drives most of the "gun nuts" out there. Just the simple desire to protect yourself, your things, and the ones you love.
[thumb]

Ok, back to Focuses.

#12 ·
Starting off topic: Have a friend at work who had an attempted car jacking/robbery, he carried his concealed gun in his back pocket, had a holster that resembled a wallet, yes a small caliber gun but a gun at a knife fight wins 99.9% of the time, so when he calmly reach back for his wallet and pulled out the gun (with cut out for trigger) with guy just backed away and ran as fast as he could.

But as far as a place to hide it, maybe modify the glove box, there is a ton of storage in there, and that shelf for the owners manual seems like a good place.

Once Ga finishes processing my CC permit i'll be looking for a place as well. Granted Ga Laws considers you car personal property like your house so technically you don't need a permit to keep it in your car.

I wouldn't consider you a gun nut :) 3 shot guns, 1 rifle my handgun (bersa thunder plus) and the wife's Walther P22 (careful she aims center-mass but hits the groin.. freaks me out every time.....)

#14 ·
Talk to the guys at Texas Custom Holsters. Great guys with great ideas. I'm sure they could make something up to fit in the center console or something. Might have to downsize to a 19 though. Or make something to fit in the glove compartment that would fit a 17, but its a bit farther of a reach from the drivers seat.

http://www.texascustomholsters.com/

Btw, I don't bother arguing with the anti gun nuts. I hope to god no one ever has to be the victim of a violent crime but if they are one day, they'll understand. But, don't wait until its too late to protect yourself and your family.

And also, someone said a firearm is inaccessible in your waistband while seated. Not true at all. It may be harder to get to it but definitely not inaccessible. I ccw every day and prefer not to move my firearm when I get in the car, and have trained to draw from my seat. It's all about training. The more you have the better you get.

#16 ·
Bummer. Here in Nevada we can basically do whatever we want. Haha. You need a permit to conceal on your person, but other than that you're good to go. You can keep a handgun loaded anywhere you want. Long guns can't have anything in the chamber inside a vehicle though. Other than that, doesn't matter. And we don't have a duty to inform law, which is nice.

#30 ·
Bah, I'm trying to figure out where to hide my gun safes in the car too. Doesn't fit under the passenger seat without disrupting the seat rails like in the cobalt I had.

Argh...

Good hiding spots in the hatch area but I want a spot I can reach from the drivers seat so people can't see me disarm.

#31 ·
I currently have my taurus .45 mounted under my seat. i have a custom rail system so in case i get broken into the case will slide straight under my feet, inbetween my feet. I molded a case for it so that just the front of the gun is stuck. the grip is free and comes out easy. i have to admit this was tricky to manuver but i managed. my dad thinks its ghetto but i go to school north of Dallas and one can never be to careful. plus when i drive home to houston i can easily just seat it in a holster next to my seat belt. plus if your trying to rob me, unless you intentionally grope the bottom of seat you wont know its there. ive had my car searched twice, never once has it been found. i can legally carry it of course.

#32 ·
I've been mulling about a gun for a long time, but can't seem to work up the nerve for one. Its personally just too much power and responsibility. So I've been thinking of mounting a small to medium knife between the driver's seat and the center console by the seat belt.

I figure in an emergency situation I would be quicker and more proficient with a blade as things would likely be happening at a close range. Plus my right side would conceal it the draw as just unbuckling my belt. A gun would probably work better, but its a compromise I think could work.

#35 ·
Actually snake, ive been considering the same thing... in calgary (and most of canada as far as i know) you can carry a blade up to four inches concealed, so heres what im thinking... drivers side, between seat and door somewhere. Reason being that youd go from unarmed to armed without the suspect knowing... well, until you've slashed him or stabbed him....

Sent From Sierra3 Via FF Mobile
Be careful whether you chose to carry a firearm or whether you chose a knife. I've been trained in the military to handle both efficiently. Both take considerable practice and skill to master. Practice makes perfect. Just because you feel safer with a knife or a gun doesn't actually mean you're safe.

Just a word of caution: Anytime you pull out a gun or a knife the situation you WERE in is gone because the everything just escalated and it's a whole new ballgame. Meaning, once you pull anything you better be prepared to do something with it, and whatever you decide to do better work, otherwise it's likely game over.

That's why it is so vitally important to be proficient in your chosen self defense technique. [thumb]

#33 ·
Actually snake, ive been considering the same thing... in calgary (and most of canada as far as i know) you can carry a blade up to four inches concealed, so heres what im thinking... drivers side, between seat and door somewhere. Reason being that youd go from unarmed to armed without the suspect knowing... well, until you've slashed him or stabbed him....

Sent From Sierra3 ViaTapaTalk2

#34 ·
For my personal carry I wear an underarmor shirt from www.Abetterholster.com. I keep my .380 in my center console barrel down. It fits perfect and doesn't move around. If I didn't keep it there then I would have it in a cloth holster in my door.

I'm also not afraid of people breaking into my car for anything since I don't have anything of value visible besides an ice scraper and a usb charger. If you give someone a reason to break in then it's a different story.[bash] ie iphones, money, golf clubs, etc. Robbers don't take the risk unless there's a reward. If they break in to steal your car in General then the value of a gun is the last thing you are probably going to worry about.

I'm in Vermont so our crime rate is alot less than most but even now with the economy going the way it is we are even seeing more crime than normal.

To all of you carrying knives. Good for you[thumb]. It's better than nothing at all. I've shot enough where I'm comfortable handling and firing a firearm. I've got a scar from a knife that reminds me why I'm better with a gun then a blade.

Stay safe everyone

#37 ·
I keep my Kel-Tec P11 in a soft case in the center console, barrel down. I keep the soft case open enough where I can pull it out easy enough. The soft case helps keep it from banging inside the console and keeps it nice and centered.

If I do need to lock it up, since our glove boxes do not lock I have one of these:

Fits perfect in the slot meant for the car user manual. I have the cable looped through the back of the glove box. I generally only use it if I am valet parking, or at the car wash or having the car serviced. Otherwise it stays in the console.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.