Focus Fanatics Forum banner

where do I find a ffd 7 speed gearbox?

7K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Egz 
#1 ·
I would like to build a rally car and i'm trying to see how much it will cost me. I would like to make it awd. A lot of people us this ffd 7 speed gear box but i can't find one any where. help

#5 · (Edited)
The only two companies that I am aware of that offer a 7 speed transmission are Benz and chrysler. which of course in there top end cars. the chrysler offers it in their prototype
ME 4 12 and the benz has it in there sl ( i think ) And now BMW offers a 7 speed tranny with smg. So far they offer this on their M series M5 and soon M6

#7 ·
if you are going to rally, and want to be in AWD group, get an AWD car to start with. Doing a conversion is NOT worth it, especially for a n00b to rally.

And before you purchase a car, etc...make sure you figured out all the costs, and have the $$ in hand to drop on whatever you need.

That being said, have fun finding a "cheap" tranny for this...ford doesnt sell them as far as i know, and i know of NO company that makes them...or you might see more AWD foci around

#8 ·
Start by rallying a FWD car anyway. Any rally car you start with, in fact the first few you start with, are just gonna get trashed anyway. Start with a cheap FWD beater and then spend your money when YOU aren't going to be the main hurdle for performance.

#10 ·
Oh, and to answer your question, an AWD rally Focus with sequential transmission would probably run you about $70K-$80K.

#11 ·
if i were you i would buy a second hand rally car which is still homologated... i believe you can find one for $10K 2WD at least i can find it where i live... in u.s. it may be less...
also most of the second hand rally cars are sold with their spare equipments like spare suspensions, spare wheel rims etc..

building a rally car will cost much much more than buying a second hand... as i know you have to think about the homologations you cant drive or use whatever you want they have very restricted rules...

#12 ·
i heard of somebody taking the tranny out of the escape? the escape is a d23 and has an AWD option so you could convert it that way. dont know if it would work. only way i think you could get a AWD car that is made to rally would be the WRX for likr $22k or get the RS out of europe but that will run ya $70k easy. ive seen fwd cars race with awd in rally. crap when i find a dirt road i rally my car down it for the heck of it and seems to deal pretty well.

#14 ·
Cheap Rally Car: vw rabbit, 85-92 golf GTi, corrado. You can compete in entry level class with few mods and if you want to convert to AWD ,you can turn a 85-92 GTi into a syncro for not to much money as far as AWD convertions go.

#15 ·
BMW 325 IX, Mazda 323 GTX, AWD DSM, many Subies, etc etc make much better shoices as first rally cars. You have to pretty much assume that you will wreck your first car beyond any chance of salvage... so it's silly to spend a fortune on it.

#16 ·
2nd_to_none said:
only way i think you could get a AWD car that is made to rally would be the WRX for likr $22k or get the RS out of europe but that will run ya $70k easy. .
I hope you mean a Subaru 2.5RS, because a Focus RS is FWD. [;)]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.