Focus Fanatics Forum banner

New SVT...completley screwed (edit: not completely screwed anymore)

35K views 176 replies 47 participants last post by  p0sitivevibez 
#1 · (Edited)
Just bought a 2003 Comp Orange SVT. 95k, buddy checked it out with me Drove fine. Drove it all the way home from New Jersey. Yesterday it started surging at idle, then smelled burning smell. Had it towed to local shop...they said it's screwed. They're worried about em putting any more money into the car. So I have a few options....sell as whole as is...part it out...new engine. I really like the car, so thinking about new engine. Can anyone recommend a reliable vendor or how to get through this? I don't have all the money in the world but I have good credit and my dad and I are pretty good mechanically wise. Are there new SVT engines for sale? Low mileage used ones?

Something in the engine is burning up. It's running hot. Sensors are bad. Exhaust is broken (figured I could get one from Trubendz). Airbag light is on. Accelerator is sticking. Test drive and drive home was fine. FML

#141 ·
Hey p0sitivevibez keep it up! I bought an SVT in November. It's been a project but mine is really coming along. I put together a list of new things my brother and I have put on/in.

- Focus311's interior (carpet, headliner, seats)
- 2,500 mile Getrag
- LUK clutch
- All new suspension (front and rear shocks struts, upper/lower control arms, sway bar repair kit, front sway bar bushings, inner and outer tie rods)
- Dropped rear subframe sandblasted and painted
- MAF sensor
- MAP sensor
- Lower gasket set
- Timing belt (all tensioners)
- Water pump
- Upgraded thermostat housing
- Alternator
- Spark plugs and wires
- Coil pack (haven't changed yet but will soon)
- IMRC
- Fuel filter
- New low beam OEM headlights
- Front bearings

Things I plan to do

- Tune
- Totally repainted
- New Ford Racing SVT rims

#142 ·
Holy hell!! All of that?!?! Dayum, guess I don't feel so bad now lol. You need help with anything give me a holler!!

I recommend the Contour thermo housing kit from Steve @ Tousley Ford... $100 but supposedly you'll never have to replace it. What's wrong with headlights?

#143 ·
Yeah, I decided to go with contour thermostat housing. The only thing is I'm find that the around the sensor is leaking a little bit but I think the trick is to tightening it down some more when the engine is hot.

My bro has done a lot of that he has gotten pretty darn good at working on the focuses. It also helps that my dad rebuilds them at his job.

#144 ·
Did you put the gasket in?? I don't have any leakage I can tell of...

That's pretty nice! My dad knows F-150s and Fieros from his days as a mechanic...now we have Bud Light and google to help us through things.

#157 ·
Yup, but starter started smoking. Either we wired it wrong or it was on it's way out after being banged around trying to get it out. New one is coming this week. Gonna remove the cat this time to put it in, should make it a bit easier cuz it was such a PITA.

#162 ·
lol. I know it is a crazy design..Oh shit forgot to tell you..A/c is working in the SVT again!! Woohoo..Now we don't have to roast in that car anymore..lol. And I fixed it all by myself with no help from Josh..lol. Although he did charge the car..I just made it so the a/c would actually turn on!

#165 ·
It was right. But we miswired the battery cable and need a new one.

Jesus H Christ it doesn't friggin end for me. Don't have the money to keep buying friggin parts and I've applied to at least 15 part time jobs and get can't get any hours.

#166 ·
:( That stinks! I just started my new job on monday...7 freaking weeks of training I have to go for..But its a good job and lots of room for advancement. They said people have gotten promoted as early as 6 months..Sweet!

#167 ·
Dayum watcha doing??

I went to wire up the new battery harness and the connection to the alternator was seized up in the white plastic plug thing that sticks out from the back. It broke when I tried to remove the connection. Very smart design by Ford /sarcasm

PMed Steve to see if I can even order another.

By this rate, I'll be driving my SVT by Christmas.

#168 ·
Geez!!! I've never seen a focus fight as much as yours..lol..Its still angry at the previous owner...Hopefully my svt will be running right soon..Finally figured out what our problem was! Just gotta get the money to fix it.

#169 ·
UPDATE!!!! Car is running and driving, relativley fine!!!

Clutch, thermo, suspension, battery cable, etc. were all installed. I have been daily driving the car to and from work. It's I'd say 70% in good shape. Finally broke the clutch in. Still got a few problems

-roughness/loud/shaking - Focus_family looked at it and side it was passenger side mount. Ordered one of those
-VCT not working (worked before the clutch swap!)- my dad deleted 3 codes without writing them down, but that was over a month ago and they haven't come back. So think the solenoid is either disconnected? or needs to be dipped in brake cleaner or replaced. Focus_Family heard the intake manifold open up, but not VCT
-Idles high at startup - will idle between 1100-2200 in first few minutes of cold startup, then stays at 900-ish for the most part. Sometimes if I put it in neutral and roll to a stop the idle flucuates, but never too high
-Driver door is misaligned, hatch is misaligned, gas cap seems to open.close funny - think this has to do with the subframe being bent which shop told me, but I didn't follow up. Haven't got an alignment yet but it drives straight, but those items are misaligned. This issue worries me. Found rear subframes for like $120 locally. But dunno if that will fix the door and hatch misalignment. If I have to get frame straighetning so be it, for as much BS and $$ I put into this car to bring it back from the dead, i'm keeping it forever.
-sometimes there is a gassy/oily smell at startup, but always goes away. My MPG doesn't seem as high as I'd like but I guess at 70mph on the highway it's not gonna be prius like anyways
-lunchbox in exhaust is leaking water. Doesn't seem to be huge deal.

Thanks to everyone for all thier help!! I couldn't have done it without ya'll!!

#172 · (Edited)
A lot of noise coming from the front right, most likely an axle/CV joint.

I'm going to be commuting 100 miles a day to work and I need something reliable. This car ain't that.

The paint is also flaking off in places, the hatch/hood/drivers side door are misaligned, the sideskirts are jacked to hell, more then one wheel is bent, the exhaust is falling off and leaking......

#175 ·
Have to talk to the insurance company about the deer damage. I'll update when I figured it out.

@Iminhell - there's things I've done that haven't been listed. I'd like to think changing a clutch in a driveway on cinderblocks proves our mechanical abilities :)

I had an alignement except a wheel in the back they couldn't do due to the a bent knuckle. The exhaust actually fell off so I bet it leaks a lot more than it did. I just don't want to deal with it anymore.

Bought a 2006 Civic Si coupe and am very happy with it. I'm still waiting on the insurance company regarding the SVT.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.