Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Different Size Subwoofers

3K views 27 replies 8 participants last post by  freemind 
#1 ·
I was thinking today, (and did a little research), about utilizing different sized subwoofers in the same box. Most people said you wouldn't notice any difference. I was thinking an 8 or 10 for better louder highs, and a 12 for a better louder low. It would be unique looking, but does anyone have experience with this? Would it make sense to do this at all?

#2 ·
You should cross them over at different points to be effective. Otherwise you will be wasting your time and money.

#4 ·
I'll bite, as well... in laymans; do you refer to literal placement of the items, or the crossing of neg/pos between the two speakers?!

And if it's the latter, what the hell does that do in terms of what you hear? That phrasing doesn't quite express my query, though... what do the two units do to each other that affects the result?!

#9 ·
some amps have crossovers, or you can hook up a crossover to the entire system. example you dont want your tweeters to receive any lows.. also if the box is split... subs in sep compartments make sure each is built with proper internal area. typically sealed boxes can have and smaller area and ported... hole have to be bigger, but hit harder in my opinion. sealed boxes have a cleaner hit

#10 ·
unless the subs have the same specs (power handling, frequency response. . .) you will need to make sure that if they are in the same boc that they are sealed in seperate compartments since they can move at different rates. will mess up the sound and could potentially damage the subs. they will most likely also need their own amp for each one in order to get them tuned correctly.

#12 ·
Think about putting the 8" in a small sealed enclosure in the passenger side footwell. There are tons of how to's on the Google machine.

Then put a 12" in the rear.

#14 ·
It gives a really good "bass up front" image.

Everything is about the install.

You are in good hands with this site.

#23 ·
I know, I was just throwing out generic sizes.

There is nothing wrong with using different size speakers for different frequency ranges. There is a reason tweeters are small and woofers are large.

The potential for sound quality is improved by seperation. With good equipment, done correctly, it should sound quite good.
I agree with this, but the OP seems to be a bit new to some parts of car audio (like cross overs) (no offense to the OP). I made the comment to save the headache and just run 2 same size subs because to someone new to the idea they are going to either have a hell of a time trying to figure out their enclosures, multiple crossovers, tuning, etc. (if they are doing it themselves) or they are going to most likely get boned on price/labor if they have a shop do a custom install like that. (I think that may have been where 02Zetechse was going when he said save the headache too).

#18 ·
I have 2 used 12 inch Pioneers in a large ported box right now. These are totally temporary until I get money to replace the components. I just want to have bass in my car for the time being. I went to best buy and bought the Kicker PK DPK4 amp install kit. 4 AWG AMP 600 Watts rated. I only have a 300 watt amp right now, so it won't be too crazy. It will just add some much needed bass for my music.

I listen to a lot of like undergroup rap stuff (Spose, atmosphere, etc) along with other non rap stuff (Ska, alternative. etc). So a bit of everything. I assume that the amp install kit should be good for what I need. (darn thing was 100 bucks) My vision towards the end is to probably have a single ten or 12 in the trunk. Maybe 2 of each depending on what it sounds like. The different sizes sound like a pain now. And a larger wattage amp.

#20 ·
There is nothing wrong with using different size speakers for different frequency ranges. There is a reason tweeters are small and woofers are large.

The potential for sound quality is improved by seperation. With good equipment, done correctly, it should sound quite good.

#24 ·
When I was 18 I saved my pennies and picked up a brand new (year old) 05 monte carlo...I loved that car. I hadn't done any real sound system work to speak of, so I took the car to best buy to get a system put in, dropped about $1500 for everything and they F[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]ed my car UP. Trashed the wiring, nothing worked anymore, half the time when I was changing radio stations my onstar would come up. If I turned up the subs too loud Onstar would call me and ask if I had been in a wreck (not because the subs were hitting hard enough to set off the sensors, but because they royally screwed up the installation).
Took the car back to best buy 3 times (3 hour drive for me each way to the closet best buy) for them to remedy the situation, they never did and just kept giving me excuses. Told them to take everything out and they decided to hit me with a restocking fee which I refused. Fought hard enough that after about 9 months they gave me back my money and paid for my gas for ONE trip to the store and back. After that I vowed to never let those idiots touch anything I own again and taught myself everything I needed to know about car audio and made myself a lot of beer money in college doing sound system installs for friends.

#28 ·
That is how we learn. Trial and error.

To the OP, learn Ohms Law and buy a DMM(Digital Multi-Meter)and take the advice above. It's a good life.

#27 ·
Yeah I wouldn't let best buy touch my car. I am doing a simple sub install tomorrow. Just splicing into behind the head unit. No offense taken. I have done a HU and amp/sub install in my truck. It has been a while, but I know how to do it. I just don't know a ton about the electrical terminology and the science behind how it all works (Dads an electrician, I know..Its sad) It's the complex audio setups that I am completely new too. Still don't under stand ohms, amps, wattage, etc. But I am doing my reading, I don't expect anyone to teach me that. I should have my 2 12 inches going by tomorrow. I am going to try to make it look completely factory, no wires hanging our showing anywhere. Just nice and clean.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.