Focus Fanatics Forum banner

British Zetec information

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  COSDEVSVT 
#1 ·
This may be off-topic, but I hope that there are some of you there who can answer some questions I have about the zetec 2.0. I am the proud owner of a 2003 svtf (I love it) but my question is about the standard zetec 2.0 engine.

I also own a '72 Lotus Elan Plus 2. I bought the SVTF because, in 15 years, I have driven the Lotus about seven times, and I wanted to feed my need for speed on a more regular basis (mission accomplished, big time). Even after sinking a bundle into it last summer, the Lotus is still an old, unsound car. Spyder, a British aftermarket and racing company makes a replacement chassis for the Lotus that is built to take a British 2.0L Zetec engine and the MT75 5-speed trans from the Sierra. Their zetecs come from Mondeos and Sierras and other unfamiliar cars and those crazy brits also have 1.6L and 1.8L zetecs. Spyder claims that they do not know if the U.S. made zetec is the same as the British 2.0L zetec and "suggest" that I purchase a motor from them so as not to "end up with incompatable parts". Compatability is critical, as the motor swap involves taking a motor from a fwd (U.S.) car and putting it into a rwd car. The tranny has to fit the motor.

My Question: Is the U.S. zetec engine the same as the British? Specifically, does it have the same external measurements, the same motor mounts, the same tranny bellhousing bolt pattern? If the head is different, big deal, the svt and standard 2.0 are different and they have the same block, and, hence can fit in the same engine bay and hook up the same transmissions. I know that the swap requires a certain sump cover, but I can order that separately along with any other needed mods directly from Spyder, as long as they will fit a U.S. motor. Ideally, I would like to get a used motor from a yard or ebay and build my own homegrown MONSTER (Rousch, Powerworks, its all good), and not have to buy and ship a brand new FordUK crate engine from england.

Thanks in advance for your wealth of knowledge and willingness to share.

See less See more
#2 ·
US and UK 2.0L Zetecs (base and SVT) are physically identical.

2.0L Zetec SVTs (US and UK) use the same ECM.
2.0L base Zetecs use different ECMs between the US and UK.

e-mail me if you would like a rough dimensioned package drawing for the powerworks blower - you could mock it up on your engine to see if you have the space in the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.