Focus Fanatics Forum banner

HOW-TO: Swap in Tilt Steering Column/Replace Clockspring.

54K views 46 replies 22 participants last post by  Paul1958 
#1 ·
DISCLAIMER: You will be working with the SRS (Airbag) System during this procedure. I won't be held responsible if you hurt yorself, someone else or your Focus doing this. PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK!!! That said, if you're conscientious and careful and know your car, you'll have no problems doing this. If you don't feel comfortable with it, don't even try.

I made this HOW-TO to show how easy it is to swap in a Tilt and Telescope steering column into your Focus. If you're like me and didn't have it, I highly recommend snagging one from your local junkyard. Makes a huge difference in driver comfort, I'm now able to sit a good 3 inches further back from the pedals, avoiding the so-called "Monkey Driving Position". Now I'm much closer to legs straight, arms bent rather than the other way around. As close as possible in a Focus anyway. Also I'll cover getting the clockspring out, in case anyone's is broken.

Tools Needed:
A good socket set
A T-15 Torx bit
A T-40 Torx bit

Go out and disconnect your battery while you get your tools ready. Wait a good 10 minutes to make sure the SRS (airbag) system discharges. I sure don't want an airbag blowing up in my face, and neither do you.

See less See more
#28 ·
Using this to (try &) fix Airbag Issue

I got a B1932/B1934 code and this is the only thing I found which explains taking the steering wheel and its pieces apart.

I have an 05 which comes with the steering wheel remote [grinking]
but i can't figure out how to disconnect it! Anyone?? i can't use it either way with my aftermarket, but i don't really wanna break it =p

for now, the bottom shroud is kinda just hanging there on the remote wires..

now when i unbolt the airbag, it seems like there's a little clip or huge tab to keep it on, on the bottom.. do i press/push that to release the cover, or should it just come off once the Two bolts are loosened enough?? i just want to make sure before i go ripping it off and end up exploding the airbag [rolleyes]

#29 ·
is your airbag issue resolved?

I also have the B1932 diag code on my 2005 se4. It looks as if we have the same problem. I just wanted to follow up to see if you figured out how to disconnect the radio remote wires.

Most importantly, did the new clockspring correct the airbag light on the dash and correct your issue. I am curious how everything ended up for you as I am about to do the same thing. Thanks for your help.

tjr28602

#31 ·
I also have the B1932 diag code on my 2005 se4. It looks as if we have the same problem. I just wanted to follow up to see if you figured out how to disconnect the radio remote wires.
wow, my post was almost a year ago! sorry =/ , i didn't bother trying to fix it after i got stuck at that point (since i never got an answer from anyone). i had a lot going on, and my light is still on :) not to mention i don't have a scan tool to erase/read codes. if i remember correctly though, i may not have even safely removed all the 'reserve power' in the first place, cuz all i did was disconnect the battery; after reading up on AllData at my job, i was supposed to remove a fuse or relay too i believe.. so it's a good thing i didn't bother with it then. Good luck, and let me know if you got it working!

#30 ·
Nice write-up. I've removed the column from my car twice (need to do it again to lineup the steering wheel).

I found it easier to get under the dash by removing the driver's seat and laying in the floorboard.

#33 ·
Great Post

2001 Ford Focus SE Station Wagon. Hey, I used your instructions to replace my clockspring because my turn signals would not cancel. Sure enough, the black plastic tab on the clockspring that cancels the turn signals was broken off. Using your instructions, it took me only 45 minutes and that was because it was on a hot day and I took some rest breaks. Also used the Ford Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) #04-5-5 which indicates that a 9mm spacer has to be installed to prevent the problem from reoccurring. Bought the Clockspring from O'Reilleys and the spacer from the Ford dealership. Spacer costs $20 at Ford. Great instructions and great pictures....THANKS!!!

#37 ·
Nope, can't be done as the photos missing were never in the FF system memory.

When deleted from Photobucket or other hosting service the links are no longer useful.

Occasionally an OP may show up and create new links/post fresh photos, but that doesn't happen often.

We are getting more direct photos on here now as reduced data phone shots are posted. The original system for full data links through a hosting service is still the main photo method though.

Tech keeps changing, quoting posts including photos on here was once a VERY bad thing to do to your friends as reading became VERY slow without a high speed connection. STILL is regularly, as folks have forgotten and a whole page of multiple photos can take a while to load even now.

#38 ·
Yeah I have folders in photobucket sorted by vehicle so when I link them to a forum I don't accidentally move them after and break the link.
I am sure storage on the forum server is limited so saving all the photos from the how-to's then relinking from the ff server would probably not be very effective.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

#41 ·
Did you use the lock cylinder/key that came with the new column or did you swap your original lock cylinder/key into the new column?

Paul

#43 · (Edited)
I did not change the lock cylinder
The key has a chip in it for the PATS. The new key from the new column will not will not communicate with your existing PCM/PATS.

What I would do is swap the old lock cylinder from the old column into the new column and use your old key which will communicate with your existing PCM/PATS.

You may be able to swap just the chip from the old key to the new but Im not certain and you should seek other opinions on that. The chip itself is fragile and easily broken.

BTW what year is your Focus and what year column did you install?

Good luck
Paul

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.