Focus Fanatics Forum banner

My Ford Touch Thread

2M views 4K replies 396 participants last post by  Teamlosi23 
#1 ·
A member mentioned about having a sticky for the MFT sytem and I thought it was a good idea. Here's the thread for owners to discuss the MFT system, talk about and share issues they are having and to even share solutions. I know there are several MFT threads already out there, but we gotta start somewhere. Please keep this clean as it's going to be for everyone's benefit.

For everyone's information:
http://owner.ford.com/servlet/Conte...wnerGuidePage&year=2012&make=Ford&model=Focus

Enjoy.

#2,776 ·
#2,778 ·
Ford Motor Co is aiming for a 10 percent jump in the quality of its highly criticized entertainment and navigation system by August 2013.

The No. 2 U.S. automaker reported 400 problems with its MyFord Touch system for every 1,000 vehicles in November 2012. By August, Ford is looking to lower that number to 360.

So, going from a 40% reported problem rate to a 36% reported problem rate? Still more than one out of every three owners reporting problems?

Talk about setting the bar high.

#2,794 ·
Starting over and ditching the underlying windows OS is probably the only real hope, but it is too late for that now I imagine.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using FF Mobile.
Why do you believe that the problems are primarily a function of the underlying OS and not the MFT app (with the shite FlashLite UI) itself?

Do all IVT systems based on Windows Automotive have similar problems?

#2,801 ·
Another way to look at the OS question is, do IVT systems that use something other than CE have issues?

Well, as a matter of fact, the Cadillac CUE system does not use CE, it uses Linux. CUE also uses completely different hardware and different developers, and Microsoft no where to be found.

However, CUE has rebooting issues (Initializing Application = Performing Scheduled Maintenance), latency issues (2-3 seconds for a response), voice activation problems, indexing problems, runaway radio volume increases, and on and on.

For reference to problems with a non-Microsoft IVT system,

http://www.edmunds.com/cadillac/ats/2013/long-term-road-test/2013-cadillac-ats-and-so-it-begins.html

"The 2013 Cadillac ATS's ambitious CUE infotainment system was fast-tracked into production and side-stepped usability engineering. It makes MyFordTouch look comparatively excellent. My prediction: CUE will be deservedly skewered here and elsewhere for its slow response to touch, poor indexing (correspondence to where it is touched), intermittent outright crashing (pictured), illogical menus, pagination and interface, and so on. Just one night in the car and I experienced all of these."

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/cadillac-cue-entertainment-ix-ux,20143.html

"CUE appears to be a textbook example of a first-generation product that is in dire need of revision" "CUE would be critized in a $20,000 car, but at more than $40,000 and a vehicle that can easily exceed $50,000, CUE is more a toy than a useful and safe interface.

http://www.motorward.com/2012/11/consumer-reports-not-pleased-with-cadillac-cue/

"Everyone who has used CUE agrees that it is pretty flawed." "CUE seems to be a bad copy of Ford MyTouch system."

#2,802 ·
Good find Jessica!

Kia's UVO system, the Nissan Leaf's display/information system, Fiat's infotainment system, and of course the SYNC system all are built on Windows Embedded Automotive.

Now, SYNC isn't perfect, but the standard system has received it's fair share of praise. The voice commands are among the best in vehicles today, despite MFT voice command issues. Up until MFT was released, SYNC was a very popular item in the industry when it came to hands-free technology.

MFT has great potential, but running an application through Flash Lite is just a dumb idea. Writing an application native to Windows Embedded Automotive would have been MUCH better, the fact that we're running an application to run an application especially on limited hardware is stupid to begin with.

That said, we're clearly not alone, and after watching the CUE videos... I'm loving MFT.

#2,805 ·
In the last week my MFT has intermittently stopped connectiong to my phone via BT. The problem, as best I can figure is the BT radio in the MFT does not appear to be switching on. When I use my phone to scan for nearby devices Sync does not show up. I have tried toggling BT on/off with no result. Did a master reset and it worked for a day and I now the same problem again. WTF?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk.

#2,808 ·
I'd like to hope you're at the mercy of the forum... but I think you broke it xD

#2,809 ·
I haven't had a chance to log in for, oh, about two months.

Just ordered my new SD card so I can download/install the latest MFT update.

In the meantime, anyone have a few bullet points on whatever I may want to be aware of in the world of Ford updates?

#2,814 ·
Took my Escape in about the disappearing rear camera parking lines, started when 3.5.1 was loaded. Ford is dead set on that it's not software related and dealer is replacing the rear camera. I don't mind I suppose since I am not paying, but I hate to see time wasted when all fingers consistantly point to MFT. I have heard of some Focus with the same issue, and my parents Escape is also doing it. If it is a rear camera, they have alot of cameras to replace!

#2,815 ·
As others have noted, this seems to happen when the car is shifted into reverse before the MFT has fully booted up. If you wait until MFT gets to the home screen, the setting for the lines sticks.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk.

#2,816 ·
MFT 3.5.1 & IPhone 4 ios 6.0.1 Text Message??

Okay, I know this has been talked about and I've read people have goten it to partially work.
I can not get mine to work. From what I've read, it's says to:
On the iPhone go to settings, then to Bluetooth, then click on SYNC, then set " show notifications" to on.
That's where I have problems, that setting is not there on my phone.
Any idea what I'm missing?
Thank You
Lenny

#2,819 ·
Okay, I know this has been talked about and I've read people have goten it to partially work.
I can not get mine to work. From what I've read, it's says to:
On the iPhone go to settings, then to Bluetooth, then click on SYNC, then set " show notifications" to on.
That's where I have problems, that setting is not there on my phone.
Any idea what I'm missing?
Thank You
Lenny
Start here and try this (post #39) -

http://boards.synccommunity.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?tsn=36&nav=messages&webtag=fordsyncmb&tid=6099

If you still have no luck, post back.

#2,820 ·
fyi, MFT iOS app has an updated to Ver 2.1

Changes reflect V3.5.1

Can be configured with 2 climate styles and with/without the SD Card Nav option

Lower level menus inside Settings, Info, Nav have been enabled

New Help content for Bluetooth streaming, HD Radio, managing multiple phones, SYNC Services, Wallpaper and Wifi

#2,824 ·
Try it anyway. Mine locked up before during an install, restarting the car and trying again did the trick just fine. Otherwise, bring it in.

#2,825 ·
Hey so Im not trying to drag anyone down but the newest update for MFT in my car has led to new problems that I never really had before. To try to remedy my problem I eant to know if there is anyway to reinstall the 3.5.1 myself and if so, where do I begin? Thanks

#2,830 ·
I finally got it installed.... After work I turned on my car and MFT actually turned on. It allowed me to install it again. After the 1st restart, a message kept popping up stating that SYNC couldn't read my USB drive. I tried taking the USB drive out, putting it back in and it still wouldn't work. I even pulled over and tried turning the car off/on and it went back to the same screen after MFT started up again.

At home I popped the fuse and it forced me to start the install all over again. So I left the car on idling for an hour... [rolleyes]

The nav card I ordered last night at 6 pm arrived today (which is amazing) so I have a fully functioning system.

I'm an IT professional and I have issues with this damn system... I can't imagine a regular end-user. Ford really needs to rethink its in-vehicle technology. An upgrade shouldn't be this cumbersome.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.