Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Back Foam Material Deteriorating

60K views 74 replies 47 participants last post by  Lscman 
#1 ·
Ok so I noticed that the black foam material that looks like lil black squares near the back window has completely deteriorated away. What kinda cheap crap is this? Anyone else?

See less See more
#3 ·
i called dealer and im taking it in on lunch. Just as I thought he said they would just take pictures, send them to Ford, order materials, and install once in. Seems like really cheap material. I live in Alabama and it get extremely hot and we have many days of straight 100 degree weather and I'm sure most of this is from heat but still they should factor in heat when making that foam by a window

#5 ·
still waiting on this part to come in....and now its completely deteriorated away.....all the foam pieces r just sitting in my truck from where its fallen. Im worried they will replace it with same exact thing and a year from now it will happen again but when warranty is up. Hard to believe just how cheap this is made and how it cant withstand heat from inside the car.

#13 ·
yes all the pieces of material r in the trunk.....inside of my car get really hot here in alabama but still you would think they would put a material in there that can withstand heat but then again u would also think a lot of things....ive come to learn that this car has very cheap material in it all around.

#16 ·
Hey folks!

If you're experiencing any of these same issues with deteriorating material, please reach out to me via PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, and daytime phone number. I'll start investigating!

Thanks,
Crystal [wave]

#20 ·
I just noticed this same thing this afternoon and was about to post a thread about it too...

#22 ·
Thanks for this thread. Ah, I just noticed this today as I was closing the trunk....mine is all cracked, too. Why would they use that cheap foam where it's bound to get a lot of sunlight?

Well, back to the dealer yet again....I'm going to dbl-check ETIS to make sure there is nothing else before calling.

This sort of niggling thing is why I will not buy an ST (or any other car) during first-year prod again.... (I know, I know....should have known better with my Mk3, but I really dug the whole package at that moment).

#26 ·
I've had the same problem of deteriorating back foam on my 2012 SEL. Disappointing... only had this car 1.5 years, and it's already got a problem like this! I took it to my dealer, and they said they took photos and sent them to Ford. That was... maybe a month ago? Haven't heard from them since. I think it's time to contact them again. Will Ford send a replacement/cover the labor cost to replace it? I imagine it's something even I could do, myself... half tempted to go out and get my own material and just do it now. Looks like it's accessible from inside the trunk. It would look better than the torn/melted stuff that's showing externally now! :/

#27 ·
I imagine it's something even I could do, myself... half tempted to go out and get my own material and just do it now.
Is this Ford's plan? Sell cars with overpriced extended warranties, then ignore customers until they just fix it themselves or trade them in for an ST and make a boatload of money off of them?

What are we all doing here? Let's open our own dealerships!

EDIT: But yeah, I'd call them again and if they still ignore you, I'd cave and do it myself.

#31 ·
My car is 10 months old and this is it's second summer. (Yes it's summer here in Melbourne Australia) but the foam still seems to be intact. Then again I have tint, and it's a German built Focus. Maybe German foam is better than Mexican foam.[hah]
Now they come from Thailand. Will be interesting to see how Thai foam holds up? [bootyshak

#32 ·
U.S./ Canadian/ Mexican spec Foci come from the Plant in Wayne, Michigan, U.S.A. not Mexico, although for all we know the supplier for the foam piece may be from mexico, or anywhere else in the world as the supply chain is global.

#37 ·
If it's still under warranty, you should bring it in. I did and they replaced the entire rear shelf behind the seats (the foam looks about the same, though). If it deteriorates again, I will put some black cloth (or something) to cover the holes from below. (I'm out of warranty now)

#39 ·
Just picked mine up earlier today from having this repair. When I took it in most of the foam was gone. Looks great now, hopefully this won't deteriorate.

#40 ·
I bought my car used in late Jan and noticed the foam was deteriorated after I got it home. It was an early 2011 build so it happened in less than 2yrs. Fortunately I got it replaced under warrantly by the dealership. Their fix was to replace the whole parcel shelf at ~$300 so I'm glad it was covered. I guess I should start planning now for the inevitability that I'll have to do something in 2015ish. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.