Focus Fanatics Forum banner

DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread

1M views 4K replies 556 participants last post by  rczrider 
#1 ·
Well, I just scheduled an appointment on Monday to get my update for my 6-speed dual clutch. Seems like some dealers are willing to hand over the update (another poster on this board did), some dealers will still give the ole "its not a torque converter" mantra, and some dealers (the one I just called) don't know that there's a TSB out there, and when researched will come up with it. And the dealer I called fell into the latter (after I went to another dealer who gave me the mantra).

I'm happy with my DCT but I'm willing to see what this new update does for the transmission (in terms of smoothness and less hesitation). Hopefully, I'll have some noticeable difference. Did anyone else get an update? If so, how'd it work out for you. I'll let you know my thoughts after a good drive on Monday.

#343 ·
Lost faith in my local Ford dealership

I just came back from my local Ford dealership and I am convinced they don't know what they are doing.

After hearing about the TSB regarding the DCT on my Focus, I called my Ford dealership and scheduled an appointment to have a service rep update the software accordingly. When I got there, the rep had no clue what I was talking about. After showing him the info from this site and others (motorweek, NYT), my rep agreed to take my car and have a look at it.

Three hours later the guy comes back to me and says my clutch is shot and needs to be replaced! Seriously??!!! I've had the car for only four months and have only 6,000 miles on it. I looked at him like he was crazy (couldn't help it). Mind you, I didn't have any real problems with my car before this incident. I just decided to have the DCT flashed with the latest software because of all the positive responses here (and at other sites) which said that there is a significant improvement in the car's driving experience. Furthermore, the guy tells me the clutch has to be ordered and will not be in until Jan 5, 2012 so I should come back then. After all that, he gave me back my keys and told me to take the car. Seriously???!!! If my clutch was so shot, why did he give me back my keys and told me I can drive it until next week???!!!

When I got home, first thing I did was send an email to Ford. I'm not even sure if the guy updated the software or not. (I think he did, because I have noticed some improvements but I can't be too sure since I'm still steaming).

What should I do? Do I believe this guy and take my car back on Jan 5 for the "alleged" repairs (won't cost me anything since it is under warranty)? I am leaning on getting a second opinion at another car dealer. I am hoping I get a response back from Ford before the 5th so I can figure out what to do.

On a somewhat side note, Ford (and the other car dealers) really need to do a better job to make sure these guys that work in their dealership are more informed about the products they sell. I learn more from you guys then I do from them. (thanks) [?|]

#344 ·
I just came back from my local Ford dealership and I am convinced they don't know what they are doing.

After hearing about the TSB regarding the DCT on my Focus, I called my Ford dealership and scheduled an appointment to have a service rep update the software accordingly. When I got there, the rep had no clue what I was talking about. After showing him the info from this site and others (motorweek, NYT), my rep agreed to take my car and have a look at it.

Three hours later the guy comes back to me and says my clutch is shot and needs to be replaced! Seriously??!!! I've had the car for only four months and have only 6,000 miles on it. I looked at him like he was crazy (couldn't help it). Mind you, I didn't have any real problems with my car before this incident. I just decided to have the DCT flashed with the latest software because of all the positive responses here (and at other sites) which said that there is a significant improvement in the car's driving experience. Furthermore, the guy tells me the clutch has to be ordered and will not be in until Jan 5, 2012 so I should come back then. After all that, he gave me back my keys and told me to take the car. Seriously???!!! If my clutch was so shot, why did he give me back my keys and told me I can drive it until next week???!!!

When I got home, first thing I did was send an email to Ford. I'm not even sure if the guy updated the software or not. (I think he did, because I have noticed some improvements but I can't be too sure since I'm still steaming).

What should I do? Do I believe this guy and take my car back on Jan 5 for the "alleged" repairs (won't cost me anything since it is under warranty)? I am leaning on getting a second opinion at another car dealer. I am hoping I get a response back from Ford before the 5th so I can figure out what to do.

On a somewhat side note, Ford (and the other car dealers) really need to do a better job to make sure these guys that work in their dealership are more informed about the products they sell. I learn more from you guys then I do from them. (thanks) [?|]
I also live in Broward County, Florida. What dealership did you take the car to?

#345 ·
Sawgrass Ford. The funny thing is now that I have been driving the car after my appointment there, I am noticing things but I'm not sure if it is because the software was updated or if in fact, there is a problem. Now when I accelerate, I can feel the clutch slipping or stuttering (or at least it feels like it).

#346 ·
After the PCM flash, the car does need to relearn itself - or whatever fuzzy logic is in there.

I'm not sure if that would cause the stuttering or not. But I can't say I'd be surprised if Ford told me my clutch was shot. My transmission shifted really weird before the recalibration flash which is why I got the update as soon as I learned it was available. I even wrote Ford and told them to be more proactive about reflashing the transmissions if customers asked. I hope they took my advice.

#353 ·
I am waiting until my first oil change to apply this TSB. I have already discussed the TSB with my tech at Team Ford in Marietta and he has researched the TSB and will be ready to apply the update. I have developed a good working relationship with a service writer and a tech at Team Ford. I use only them and have never had a service problem.

The TSB should be applied to the Focus (my wife's car) in the next week or so.

#356 ·
I agree with the above posts! Before I go back to Pines Ford-Lincoln, I will go to Sawgrass first. My grandfather knows a great adviser who took good care of him. I will make an appointment with that adviser. When I get there, I will let her know that she is doing a great job servicing his car (which is the truth, anyways). I am also interested in doing business with her. She will hear from me how wonderful the 2012 Focus is and reference reviews from Car and Driver and other organizations. I will give the problems that the transmission is giving me (flare up, slow response, occasional grinding noise, etc). I will also tell her that I have done a lot of research on the problem and let her know of a possible solution. I might also mention in the conversation that the later 2012 models (built 8/13 and after) already have the updated programming.

Before I take "Breathless Mahoney" in, I will wash and perhaps wax my car. The interior will be squeaky clean and detailed. I believe that the cleaner the car, the better service that I will receive. There will not be a shread of paper or even dust in the car.

I will take my car in around the end of January just to give the transmission a chance.

What do you think of my approach and is there anything I should add? I might of asked this question before, but I am trying to refine my approach.

#357 ·
Just be sincere and polite in your approach. Don't try to blow smoke up her skirt because if she has been in the business for any amount of time she will know it right away.

The relationship I have with my dealership did not start overnight. I stopped in many times looking at cars and talking to people. When I knew I was just looking I would be honest with them and tell them up front. I would also be sure to catch them at slow times and watch to see if anyone else needed helping. If so I would step aside and to allow my salesman to help them as they could be a potential sale. The business/client relationship has actually developed into a friendship.

As for the service department, I got to know them through some minor warranty things I needed done at various times on a couple of vehicles. Again, I would always ask when they could fit me in as my schedule is quite flexible (which it truly is). I was never demanding and always made sure we were both clear on what the issue was. I would take the time to introduce myself to the technician if he was free. Lastly, I take the time to say hi and chat a bit even when I was not in for service.

It is really all about treating people as you would want to be treated; not having unreasonable expectations; understanding that today's cars are very complex machines and that the issue might be hard to duplicate or fix; and being polite even if things did not go they way you expected.

I just bought my third car from them in four years. I expect to buy more in the future.

#359 ·
Is anyone else experiencing this....

I actually have had the update applied to my Focus, and it was great for a couple of weeks or so, but now the transmission seems to be rough again. I'm not geting the "jump" or the "stutter" I was getting prior to the upgrade, but the transmission shifts VERY weird and hard from first into second. It's almost like the car reverted to the stock software, which I know isn't possible, but that's how it's acting again. Has anyone else experienced odd behavior like this AFTER the update?

#363 ·
cars produced from Aug 12th on have the updated software. Motor Trend said there was also a small software "tweak" in December (which is unconfirmed).

Motor Trend tested the Aug software update and said "Sure enough, my Focus Titanium's six-speed PowerShift felt much more like a mainstream DSG at launch, creeping with feet off the pedals, and during shifts, and it now handles parallel parking maneuvers with no lurching. "

#365 · (Edited)
My build date is 12/16/11. DCT was re-flashed last week at 105 miles. Initially it seemed slightly better. After putting on another 400 miles... the shutter / clutch chatter at a standing start and shift qualities seemed better. Going to give it the "acid test" tomorrow - commute traffic and San Francisco hills. Please update us dan50. QUESTION TO ALL who have success when the DCT was reprogrammed. How long (in miles) after the software update did it take before you noticed the DCT working properly?

#369 ·
hmm, I took in my focus for tsb 11-10-02a and came out with paper work stating tsb 11-09-14a was applied. Still said transmission reprogramming was done. Anyone heard of this tsb? It looks like it could be older than 11-10-02a. Sigh, wish ford had an opened database.

Oh also my check engine light was on after they brought it back to me so now i gotta go back tomorrow, wtf? Well, it'll give me a chance to ask about 11-10-02a though.

#383 ·
Update didn't fix my problem

I've been getting a rough grinding sound between shifts. Originally I was told nothing was wrong. Then, I was told I needed an update. The update was performed. Nothing related to the sound changed. Now, I'm told nothing is wrong again. Even after listening to this recording, they tell me I haven't demonstrated a problem.

http://youtu.be/54_3_qF2xhQ

Sound normal to anyone here?

#384 ·
I've been getting a rough grinding sound between shifts. Originally I was told nothing was wrong. Then, I was told I needed an update. The update was performed. Nothing related to the sound changed. Now, I'm told nothing is wrong again. Even after listening to this recording, they tell me I haven't demonstrated a problem.

http://youtu.be/54_3_qF2xhQ

Sound normal to anyone here?
Shut the front door!

That sounds horrible! Similar to my downshifts before I got the TCM update. If they say that's alright, go to another dealer; because that's bull.

#389 ·
Technical Service Bulletins. Remember that they are not recalls, but a recommend procedure of repairing vehicles. You should get that done. I am waiting until the end of January to get mine done. I do not remember off hand what site you go to to look at the manufacture date of you car. I will look it up and do a follow up reply.

#397 ·
Sooo Im actually at the dealership right now in the waiting room having the TSB applied and my USB went out. The guy who is working on my car( "Dave" like the guy already because it's my name) came in and said they finished everything up and are doing the drive cycle so and told me it will take awhile. So glad they are doing the Driving Cycle and they found the TSB! Ill post later tonight after driving it. I just could wait to post haha

#398 ·
I just performed the drive cycle reset and its a noticeable difference! Of course I'll wait a week or so to see how it adapts but I'm very happy right now. At least at the onset there's no hunting or thinking about what gear it wants to be in when you give it some gas (rolling about 40 mph).

As I purchased mine on July 29, 2011 (May 2011 build) I knew something was wrong from the start. When I test drove this car I also tested the same car but blue (the metalic blue color). At that time I commented to the salesman what was different between the two as I could definitely feel the change in performance, the blue one seemed to have a lot more pep. As mine had 50+ miles on it when I test drove it, I can only assume one of two things (or both); that the drive cycle was never performed correctly at the start or it was the test driver of choice at the dealership.

I'm now going to wait to see how this does with this change to see if I need the update at all.

Thanks for the post Noah, I'll report on this again later this weekend.

Joe

#399 ·
^^^ Hey Joe ... Glad you see some improvement but I definitely suggest getting your TSB update. It will be like a whole new car! I also waited to see if I really wanted to do the update and wanted to read on feedback from people who had there's updated.

My DCT was working fine before the update except shift points were all wrong and never could get higher RPM's without really putting on the gas. Now it drives like it should or how I would drive if it was a manual.

Since they just updated to a newer TSB 11-10-02A then this would be a great time to have yours done. Then perform the drive cycle and really see some great improvements in your driving experience!

Noah

#401 ·
Noah, are you saying that I should also perform the drive cycle after my dealer does the update? I know they have to do te drive cycle as per the TSB but what you're saying makes sense too.

I just got back in after a 50 mile run and it really runs great. No lag after upshift, doesn't hunt when I accelerate (kick down).

What's the change with this latest one (02A)?

Joe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.