Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Paint Marks

4K views 31 replies 8 participants last post by  glassjoe 
#1 ·
So one day, I'm assuming while I was at Wal-Mart, some idiot in a white truck hit my mirror with his door. I have white paint marks on my mirror. How do you recommend me getting it off? I've had some people suggest rubbing compound. Any suggestions?

#8 ·
A long standing rule of thumb is to use the least aggressive method first. Gradually work your way up to something more aggressive. Now, with that said, I realize you don't want to go out and buy 3 or 4 different polishes to see what works. The thing to keep in mind while experimenting though, make sure to use a clean, soft, microfiber pad to do the polishing. If it's a light scuff from another car, it's likely that the paint transfer will come off pretty easy. Even with some bug and tar remover. But what you may find, and what I see all the time, is that deeper scuff marks will remain. In this case I'd suggest taking it to a pro and let them look at it. If you still want to tackle the deeper marks yourself, remember NOT to use something so aggressive that you rub more permenant damage into your paint.

Pics would help.

Good luck!

#11 ·
Try to give some isopropyl alcohol a shot and see what happens.

If that doesnt work, you can always try mineral spirits/paint thinner/prep-sol.

Because its the textured plastic(and not body color painted), you might be able to get it off with the above mentioned.

#13 ·
I agree with Matt & lyons, try mineral spirits or acetone on the mark down at the bottom of the mirror (least conspicuous). Use a small brush to help agitate the product into the white paint mark.

Earlier, I wrongly assumed you were talking about a painted mirror while giving advice using polishing compounds. Sorry!

#20 ·
For that scuff mark clnzx, I would go back to our original advice using the light polishing compounds. Personally, I'd rather polish with a buffer than use acetone on my paint. Acetone is more for that unmovable tree sap that nothing else works on.

#22 ·
The only thing is I don't have a buffer.

Sent from my Desire HD using FF Mobile 2
Okay, that's not a problem. Just takes a little more elbow grease. If you had a large area I'd say go to a pro, but for that one corner of your bumper you should do okay with a foam applicator and the polishing compound.

Keep in mind, least aggressive polish first, working your way up to more aggressive compounds. If you don't see ANY improvement after a couple of tries, let a pro look at it.

#29 ·
lol well i looked over it and i saw what looked like the white crap on my lower grill. i said peanut butter because...well it worked haha here's the thread

peanut butter thread!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.