Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Is it worth it? Like really?

3K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  inis 
#1 ·
I have a 2006 zx3 se automatic. I was wondering if it is really worth turboing the car. I have 50k miles on the car. No issues at all. A 3inch TruBendz SS Magnaflow exhaust. This is the set up i was thinking at this point. I would like to have some sort of a set up for the car but do not know if it is worth doing it to this car.

FSWerks Stage 1
Ecu: PVT1
Turbo: GT28R
Fuel: 93 Octane
Downpipe: 3 inch SS (to match exhaust)
Upgrade diverter: No
TurboSmart Guage: Yes
Autolite 103: Yes
Boost Controller upgrade: No
Injectors: I do not know at this point if i should
Wastegate upgrade: No

At this point my car is just a daily driver and will probably keep it that way even if i add a turbo.

I am not an expert in the area! WHAT SO EVER!
All i want to do is get some input from the more knowledgeable and see if its actually worth doing this to an automatic. I understand i sound like a "NOOB" but what all would you guys suggest for lower end work if any? I was hoping not to have to do anything major but realize that there will be work that is needed to be done.

Thanks guys! Any suggestions/help is great appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
Even though my car was a five speed. I turboed the stock engine with over 70k on it. Kept the boost at 10 psi or less. And the car was a blast. I believe your atx and stock engine will handle 8-10 psi. Dont get crazy with it and youll have a fun car to drive.....

#3 ·
My plan is not to get crazy at all. I would not like to have a track beast until i get another DD... I would like something thats fun but will still be somewhat practical. Boost would probably be set between 6-8...

#4 · (Edited)
I have FSWerks stage I&II, gt28r turbo, on my stock motor and ATX. I was running 8psi for about 2 years (10k miles) and never had any problems. Would bump it up occasionally to ~12 psi and my tranny wouldn't like it to say the least. TC would lockup and it would basically feel lk a MTX that wouldn't shift into the next gear. RPMs would go up but the car would not accelerate. Keep it mind this was only on hard acceleration from a complete stop. Replaced the stock valve body with a Lentech valve body, brought boost back down to 10 psi and have never had a problem since (been about a year now). Also have the ford racing (TCS) torque converter I planned on installing and raising boost but never got around to it.

#11 ·
The only real worries i have are the lower end for one and my Trans. I WILL NOT be doing lower end with initially. And i hope that i won't have to... Crossing my fingers. Somewhere i had heard that the ATX in the 2006 focus could only handle up to about 220whp... I don't know if this is true.

#14 ·
At this point, no power goals. I just would like to see what kind of potential it has. For fun right now. Something to putts with. Racing on a drag strip or road course maybe depending on what happens. And so its not like every other focus out there with an intake, exhaust, and drop.

#16 ·
I'm still iffy on the subject because of the TC issue mentioned above. I do not think i can justify the $4500 for stage two and stage ones doesnt seem worth it to me. And with the extra costs of gauge pods and other hardware... Ect

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.