Focus Fanatics Forum banner

new here

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  focusmaniaczx3 
#1 ·
I have an 02 focus love so far four door white some has done an eng swap vin code says sohc some put the dohc zetch in it I have put new plugs msd coil am msd wires just to start things off with it been readin here a lot about svt header upgrades an other up gardes how bout some other upgrades what would be good as far as intake an upgrades for handling like I said new to owning focus

#2 ·
stock plugs, stock coil, svt header with egr bung (if you want to keep your egr system)
,larger flex pipe, larger exhaust 2.25", svt air box and snorkel, svt suspension, summer performance tires. If it is a manual transmission, get a short throw shifter. You could upgrade your front brake pads. If it were me the one thing I would do for sure is the svt suspension.

#4 ·
Welcome. Stock SVT shifter is not compatible with your car. It is for a completely diferent transmission and wouldn't help you anyways. I would recommend doing the B&M shifter. As for the SVT header make sure you do it right. You need to buy the SVT Dip Stick, flex pipe, and a catalytic converter designed to work with the header and flex from the car. I found out the hard way what happens when you don't and now I have to buy those things anyway. Now i have to spend money on the same parts twice.

#5 ·
omg dude your grammar is killing me! use punctuation! or at least periods or something. my inner grammar nazi hates run on sentences.

the throttle response that you feel is purely a placebo effect unless there was something seriously wrong with your stock coil in the first place. the msd coil and plug wires are in no way better than factory and actually are a hindrance. with the msd coil you cannot get an accurate torque reading on a dyno which is infuriating if you want to see what kind of difference your mods have made. the stock coil pack and wires will support over 700whp just fine. no need to change it, but since you already have it you may as well keep it unless you want to try and sell it on the BST section of this site to try and recoup some of the money you spent on it.

the SVT header is a good mod. it will net about 15whp every time. you NEED a SVT flex pipe, SVT cat (or off road pipe/cat-delete pipe if you can get away with it) and a way to protect your power steering line from the heat from the exhaust. you can either move the line or wrap the crap out of the header and everything. otherwise you run the risk of exploding the line while driving one day and loosing power steering. also you dont NEED a SVT dipstick and tube. you can simply bend your stock tube however some people dont have much success with this technique and end up breaking the tube in the process.

you will want to run at least 2.25" exhaust but you will benefit more from running bigger if you get the SVT header. the SVT header makes the most power if it is run open header with NO exhaust at all. unfortunately this is very illegal and very loud on the street. this means that anything after the header is just going to be a power restriction and nothing else so the more free flowing you can make the exhaust the better. 2.5" is probably the most common choice. it flows decent and sounds good. 3inch will be best but its hard to make a non turbo car with 3inch exhaust sound like anything other than a rice rocket. 2.25" is pretty much a waste of time and money but if its what you want then go for it.

stay away from underdrive pulleys. waste of time and money.

stay away from miracle hp and fuel economy increasing chips. scams, one and all. same thing goes for electric superchargers, and those little fan looking things that are supposed to spin the air in your intake. and throttle body spacers are a waste as well unless you are going to use it to drill and tap in a nitrous solenoid. that way you dont have to drill a hole in your intake and you can remove it in 5 minutes.

look up the ralco short throw shifter. if there are still any out there for sale they are the cheapest STS out there for the focus. i have one, ive had it for years, and i shift gears like hulk and i still have not broken it and it cost me about $50. best bang for your buck STS there is. be careful though about getting the right shifter. the design changed halfway through the 2002 year so there is a 2000-2002.5 and 2002.5-2004 design. since your car is a swap job i imagine it could be either type so you SHOULD pull out the stock shifter and examine it very closely before you buy.

i hope my book helps

#10 ·
Ty you all for the good info . I will be looking into all of . Some put 17 inch wheels on it I
have one weak rear spring so need to do some susp work on it to ,should I go with svt or look else we're. An for exh will do the svt header no cat I weld so any fab work I can do . I don't want it to sound like a riding mower with a glass pack ,I want a deep melow tone do I need a rez an what type of muff an no coffee can tip . How's this Matt caps an ...........???? Lol no run ons

#11 ·
SVT springs are 1/2 an inch lower than stock focus springs. if you want to lower the car there are alot of options out there to do it effectively. look in the brakes and suspension section of the BST on this site for a deal on suspension.

everyone has their own opinion on what mufflers and type of exhaust sounds best. im partial to the dynomax 3 chamber mufflers. and you will definitely want to run a resonator if you dont have a cat, otherwise its going to be extremely loud. 3 inch exhaust will make for a deeper tone but it will be louder no matter what you do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.