Focus Fanatics Forum banner

My '12 SE Picture/Project Thread

455K views 1K replies 183 participants last post by  Twenty 
#1 ·
Rather than continually update what was my introductory post, I figured I'd better start off an 'official' thread for updates regarding my Focus, as a single place to post news, modifications, or just pictures in general.

This is the car; a 2012 SE sedan, with Sport and Winter packages. I brought it home on September 23, after being lucky enough to find it at the dealership I work at.

The whole point was to have a safe, reliable daily driver, but I wanted something fun that stood out. Yellow Blaze and a 5-speed took care of that. [giddy]

As my signature says, this car is really just a mini-project, so I'll try to control myself and keep it relatively simple, but I'm still going to make some adjustments here and there to make it my own.

[wrenchin]

See less See more
#210 ·
Thanks everyone!

I'm undecided on that. The filter is fairly secure without the cover, but it would only have to pop off once for there to be risk of damage. I'll have to see if I can find a way to really secure it if I want the cover off for good.

Do you know what other materials they are making the splitter in (I believe you said there were 3)? Can't wait for this to come out.

BTW - this thread is great, I like how your build is going.
FRP and partial CF should be the other options.

You should get some color on that engine cover-it makes a HUGE difference.
You read my mind. There won't be time to drop it off for paint before this show, but possibly before the one coming in September.

#209 ·
You should get some color on that engine cover-it makes a HUGE difference.

#211 ·
One more part number for you guys, for the engine cover and accessories:

W520201-S442

This is the nut that attaches to the one exposed stud in the center of the engine cover. It comes with a second though, and frankly isn't really needed. It will definitely keep the cover secure though.

#212 ·
Gahdamn that lip. I now know what I will be spending some money on. That is the perfect mod for the front of this car. Can you PM me their contact information?

Engine looks great with the cover, please for the love of god don't paint it. Also mine didn't come with any nut from the factory so I imagine neither are technically needed. I run with the cover on my air filter always, although taking it off for "shows" seems like it looks fairly nice.

#215 · (Edited)
I can do so.

As it is I'm running with the cover on but if I pop the hood Sunday it will come off.

I have yet to decide which colour, but I am seriously considering getting it painted. It's all black plastic, rather plain under that hood. [hihi]

Car looks great Twenty. Need some black housing on the headlights!
$600 though. [mecry]

I want, no, NEED this lip!
That's how I felt.

#218 ·
Thank you! I continue to enjoy reading all the positive feedback, it motivates me to try to keep progress going and keep the thread as interesting as I can.

Keep on saving, it'll be worth it. [:)]

Much difference with the K&N filter?
Nothing yet, not that I've been able to really see. Since throwing it in the car's done about 150 kilometers. I keep track of its mileage at each fill-up so I will be looking for any improvements.

#219 ·
Last-minute update, and Show and Shine!

At yesterday's event I was able to have both cars present, thanks to my father for acting as the second driver after a last-minute family emergency meant my friend couldn't take the Grand Prix for me.

Leading up to the event I was making sure the Focus would be fully detailed and looking its best for yesterday. I also wanted some new changes, as you've already seen with the engine cover and filter. On Friday one of my favourite shops got in some new shift knobs though, and they happened to be the exact colour I was wanting to change to.

On Saturday I wandered over and grabbed one as a final, last-minute change. With the car sporting teal/burple accents (interior accent lighting, lug nuts, center caps, decals) I wanted the shift knob to match as well. I grabbed another Blox 490, this time in Torch Blue. Below is it next to the Neo Chrome knob I've been using since December. (Maybe time to change the colour of the door trim?)

Since Saturday was spent getting both the Focus and GP all cleaned and ready, my parents let me keep both cars in the garage that night so that they'd still be spotless for the following day. As with the Grand Prix, the Focus was still being cleaned long after the sun had gone down.

At the show on Sunday, I was glad to see the Focus getting attention and having pictures taken of it. I ran across a couple of the shop managers/owners I've met while working on it and had a chance to talk to them. Great people, and they finally had a chance to see the car.

This time last year the car hadn't even been built yet, and here it is today. It's been a fun ~10 months working on it and I owe thanks to a lot of people that have been involved, whether it was sourcing parts and supplies, helping with the odd install, or just motivating me to keep on working. [:)]

So much for keeping it a stock daily driver.

_ _ _

At the show I even managed to find one of our own, though unfortunately the owner (Jules17) and I never bumped into each other. We at least saw each other's cars though.

#246 ·
Last-minute update, and Show and Shine!

At yesterday's event I was able to have both cars present, thanks to my father for acting as the second driver after a last-minute family emergency meant my friend couldn't take the Grand Prix for me.

Leading up to the event I was making sure the Focus would be fully detailed and looking its best for yesterday. I also wanted some new changes, as you've already seen with the engine cover and filter. On Friday one of my favourite shops got in some new shift knobs though, and they happened to be the exact colour I was wanting to change to.

On Saturday I wandered over and grabbed one as a final, last-minute change. With the car sporting teal/burple accents (interior accent lighting, lug nuts, center caps, decals) I wanted the shift knob to match as well. I grabbed another Blox 490, this time in Torch Blue. Below is it next to the Neo Chrome knob I've been using since December. (Maybe time to change the colour of the door trim?)

[/IMG]
I have the neo chrome one now too and was thinking about buying the blue one :)

#220 ·
First awards!

Yesterday there was a big show hosted by the local Thunderbird Club. It was held at a Ford/Lincoln dealership and while TBirds were the focus, all Ford vehicles were welcome. I made a last-minute decision to enter the Focus in for fun since I'd already be coming down to visit my parents who had my mother's Thunderbird in. As it turns out we both walked away with something by the end of the day, but the real surprise was the fact that in its first official show, the Thunderbird placed first for its category! It was voted by the other owners as the best '67-'71 example.

#221 ·
Great work on the car so far!! As everyone as said, that front lip is amazing and as of yesterday I'm a proud owner of a brand new SE hatch with sport package and I also NEED that lip. Would there be anyway you could provide the email or perhaps the phone number of Downforce so that we may inquire about the lip as well?

The mod bug is about to hit this guy hard, and I'd rather get this lip than the 3DCarbon kit...

Emanuel

#222 ·
Great work on the car so far!! As everyone as said, that front lip is amazing and as of yesterday I'm a proud owner of a brand new SE hatch with sport package and I also NEED that lip. Would there be anyway you could provide the email or perhaps the phone number of Downforce so that we may inquire about the lip as well?

The mod bug is about to hit this guy hard, and I'd rather get this lip than the 3DCarbon kit...

Emanuel
Thank you Emanuel! Congratulations on your new toy, I hope it treats you well!

Downforce USA can be reached via Facebook, they have a few emails for different individuals but the FB pages are a good medium for communication.

I can't speak as to what their plans are regarding announcing this lip, but I haven't heard too much from them thus far. One Facebook page has a few pictures up (which I took, using my Focus as a model [:)]) but that's all I've seen.

Their website (http://www.downforceusa.com/) is still undergoing work too, and I don't know when it'll be up. It has further contact information though.

#224 ·
I really like the 3D Carbon rear valence for the hatch, but sadly the sedan's looks nowhere near as good in my opinion. If it did I'd probably grab one.

Thanks pyroinsa, that was a fun day and a really nice surprise! I was hearing lots of components on it, as was my mother on her TBird.

#228 ·
Awesome thread, seriously great ideas, and I love how clean the car looks.

My family just got a 2012 SEL hatch to go along with my 2000 focus that we got brand new back in and th day. After seeing everything you've done I and how awesome its all turned out, I believe I'm gonna have my work cut out for me when I come back home from college this winter!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

#230 ·
Awesome thread, seriously great ideas, and I love how clean the car looks.

My family just got a 2012 SEL hatch to go along with my 2000 focus that we got brand new back in and th day. After seeing everything you've done I and how awesome its all turned out, I believe I'm gonna have my work cut out for me when I come back home from college this winter!

Sent from my DROID X2 using FF Mobile 2
Thank you very much!

I work on the cars, adding and changing things according to what I like, looking to various 'groups' for ideas and inspiration. For example, my automotive magazine collection ranges from Modified to Performance VW to Car. I like to incorporate different touches here and there and keep the cars distinctly 'mine'.

Additionally, as always I try to keep the cars clean (in terms of dirtiness, not just appearance), not just for photos but for every day; it is my job, after all. [cheers]

The SEL should be fun, congrats! You'll have a rare(r) model there in a few years.

- - -

Looking ahead, September 9th will be the last big local Show and Shine before the end of the season, and hopefully both cars will be able to show up to be shown again. That won't really leave me much time to make additional updates, but I do plan to keep the pace going over the winter months, at the very least stockpiling parts for spring.

#231 ·
Now that I'm back in town following a vacation, I was finally able to take the Focus out last night for a spin, I missed that. [driving]

I am also now able to start going through all of my photos, not just from the trip but from the show my parents and I were at the day before leaving. Here are a couple more from that, the little glass is the prize the Focus got for its category.

#232 ·
Headed out to one of the weekly meets tonight with my parents, to take advantage of the nice weather before winter hits and these die down. It won't be long before cars go into winter mode or hiding.

#236 ·
Nar... I live in Canada. Those blasted headlights are on all day long.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy S2 using FF Mobile 2. [Android build 4.0.4]
I'm in Canuckistan too. I turned the dial to parking lights and then turned on the fog lights. For normal driving I still have the DRLs lit.

#238 ·
I am interested in that front splitter, but tell me, how is the ground clearance with it? Do you notice it rubbing or being really close to rubbing when entering/exiting parking lots/curbs?

I see that you mentioned that your driveway is steep and you needed to approach at an angle..is it just your driveway in particular?

#239 ·
Ground clearance is great, it doesn't really sit lower than stock at all, but it's because it extends out that care needs to be taken at times. The decrease in clearance is when you're approacing sharp changes in the ground's incline, such as my driveway.

Re: my driveway, it's stupid. Our Suburban is the only vehicle we have that can't scrape, the Grand Prix can drive in straight but not at speed, and the three others all have to go at angles.

This was when I was testing backing in, at an angle. Note how close the lip is already, and I had barely started; my driveway is just annoying.

Daily-driving wise, it's fine. Speedbumps are no concern, and I haven't really modified routes or anything. In local parking lots the entrances are often sharply angled compared to the road though, so I start turning in a little more sideways than before just to be extra careful. So far I have not once hit the lip on anything. Even small parking blocks will clear, though I don't pull over them.

Looking at pictures of the other lips (Bojix, 3D Carbon) there is NO WAY I'd be able to get into my driveway with one of those, period. Point for Downforce.

To close, one more picture for tonight. Last night was another weekly meet and pictures went up shortly after. It was nice to see one of the Focus.

http://illmotion.com/im-event-coverage-weekly-403-hondabeyond-ca-meet-september-5-2012/

#240 ·
Thanks for the info. According to their FB page, they sell a fiberglass one for $350 and a "carbon fiber inset" for $450. I am still on the fence about it because currently I have on the street parking and am worried about people tapping it or messing with it.

Instead I ordered mudflaps.

#241 ·
Be prepared for lots of people to take notice of and stare at the lip if you do get it though. [:)]

Getting the full CF version cost $550 USD (plus conversion, shipping, and duty to Canada, which added up) but since I wanted at least some carbon fiber I figured getting the full piece would be cheaper and easier than paying my body shop to try and get a colour match.

So far I have yet to hear anything less than a compliment from anyone who has noticed it though.

#243 ·
The girlfriend always asked me why everyone stared at my last focus and I was like because it's a focus! Now they stare at this one, I think they just have problems now lol. I guess because we try and make ours different not to stand out but for personal pleasure or preference.

@Twenty did you order the lip from states side or is there a place in Canada we can shop for this?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.