Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Fun with PlastiDip!

2M views 3K replies 351 participants last post by  RonMaiden 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well I got off my lazy butt and hit up the Lowes and got a rattle can of Plastidip and did some car modding today.

Anyone else had some fun with Plastidip? Post up some pics!

I know Pattacular has some pics [popcorn]

Temp usage. -30 - 200

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/fil...6techsheet.pdf

See less See more
#2,149 ·
There's a tutorial on here somewhere on how to remove the fogs and their bezels; you've got to get the car jacked up, remove the felt undertray and disconnect the fogs and their DIN cables to pull the entire bits out from behind the front fascia.

I'd probably get black paint rather than PlastiDip to do it though, feel it'd look better...

#2,147 ·
Thanks, yeah for the stripes I waiting like 30 seconds before peeling the middle one and about a minute for the rest .

#2,152 ·
Before:

After: (sorry for the crappy pic, too dark!)

Going from black to white, I probably should have had 5-6 cans (I used 4). It's a bit spotty where the spokes meet the rim. Looks like rally car now though! [driving]

#2,159 ·
I'm having a hard time getting large parts to come out OK. I did my fog bezels and wheel center caps with no issues, but the spoiler ALWAYS comes out real rough. I don't know if I'm not putting it on thick enough or what.

I tried to save it this time by putting the last coat on REAL thick, but it just made it worse. Would I be better off buying a gallon and putting it through a spray gun? Would I need a special gun for this or will any paint gun work OK?

I'm going to have a set of wheels to do pretty soon as well, so maybe the gun would be worth it anyways?

#2,160 ·
If its coming out rough then u are doing one of two things wrong.. 1 either u didn't not prep good enough and it not wanting to lay down properly or 2 you are applying it in direct sunlight..

I've done 4 sets of wheels, spoilers, trunks, front bumpers and u can not apply in direct sunlight. Sunlight and hot temperatures can cause the plasti dip to dry too fast and not lay down properly..

Plasti dip needs to be applied in thin coats and with each coat apply it thicker.. I usually apply 6-8 coats on anything I spray..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.