Focus Fanatics Forum banner

coolant leak

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  *Z3R0* 
#1 ·
So today i decided to look for my coolant leak, every morning i see a spot of coolant from being parked over night so i went under the car to see. im not sure what this is or what would need to be replaced but this is where its leaking from.

See less See more
#2 ·
its a "freeze plug" on the bottom of the thermostat housing. More than likely you just need a new O Ring. Do a search for Viton o ring on here and you will find the size.

#3 ·
Here is the part number you need:
part number 9464K543 - description: Viton O-Ring AS568A dash number 203, packs of 25 (Same as 9464K342)

#5 ·
Pull the clip/pin out. In your second pic, you can see the top of it. I'm not sure what its called, but its like a reverse cotter pin, it goes around the outside edges of the freeze plug. Once the pin is out, pull the plug out. Beware, coolant will be coming out so either bleed some off or have a bucket ready.

once the old one is out, put the new gasket on and put the plug back in. It may take some "motivating". once its in, pop the pin back in.

#6 ·
I suggest you pull the housing and inspect the main ring that seals the housing to the block and make sure there is no oil migrating down the block. Oil swells the rubber and will eventually break the housing. I would also suggest changing the sensor o-ring, on top, to viton while you are at it. I would get about two years before I would get a leak with the oem rubber o-rings, but it's been over 3 since I replaced them with the viton type.
It's also a great opertunity to do a flush.
good luck....

#7 ·
Mine was also leaking the exact same spot, but I opt on changing the whole thermostat housing. Wasnt too expensive. My one friend's was also leaking and they changed the o-ring but kept on leaking, rather change the whole housing then you know its done

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.