Focus Fanatics Forum banner

05 ST 2.3 NON I/C Turbo-Crazy I know

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Jgrove998 
#1 ·
Hey folks! just as the title says, i am inquiring about turbo charging my 05 ST....WITHOUT an intercooler. Now before you all ask what mental institution I reside in for wanting to go this route, let me first clear the air in saying that I am NOT looking for street racer, or even a crazy sleeper. I am just a simple believer that turbos belong on many vehicles that come stock as N/A motors. I just want the performance of what many stock DD turbo cars run. I mean there is no denying the difference in forced induction power, over N/A power. I just want that stock turbo DD car feel. This car will NEVER see a track, or even cut a light through town. Just looking for a more lively, sportier driving experience that I know a few psi of boost would bring me.

I have used the search bar and couldn't find a thread on this. If y'all know one, feel free to drop me a link. Any and all input is welcome.

Oh yeah and my car is a 05 ST 2.3 5 spd, with 120,000mi. Well taken care of, good clutch, no issues, and not abused. Thanks folks![loveff]

EDIT: I should probably let y'all know the second main reason behind this question. I can get a hold of a TO4E with oil lines, fittings, BOV and all that mess for somewhere between $200-$300 from a friend of mine. He bought it and never did anything with it before getting rid of his focus. So now he is giving me the first pick at it before it goes on ebay for more.

See less See more
#3 ·
Yes i have in the past, but just did not have the money at the time since i was buying a house and doing updates. i know this stuff costs money so I didn't even bother posting questions like "what's the most performance i can get for $100?" but since this offer has come up for this little turbo setup for under $500, I have just been wondering on other boosted folks input.

Maybe I should go take a look again at Fswerks and see what they have, like I said...it's been a while.

#5 ·
There is nothing wrong with not using an intercooler. My Merkur runs 15 psi with no intercooler from the factory.

Its pretty much going to be all custom work to make that turbo work on the car.

Your going to need a custom exhaust manifold with the proper flange for the turbo. If you need a external wastegate, that will also have to be added to the custom manifold. A custom downpipe will need to be built (with proper flange for turbo and/or wastegate connection).

Custom piping from the turbo to the intake manifold. You will need upgraded injectors (Ford's 42lb injectors should work). You'll need a wideband AF gauge (with 02 bung in the downpipe) along with boost gauge. Then of course is the custom tune.

Based on how you drive with the turbo your stock clutch should be okay; upgrade to the Exedy stage 1 if you want which will hold the power with no problem. 6 to 8 psi should be safe with no intercooler.

On 8 psi with an intercooler my 2.3L made 218whp and 216wtq.

#7 ·
Awesome, that sounds perfect! I will be doing searching on this subject, but just looking for direct answers in regard to this project, but where do i need to go for tuning? I mean I keep hearing about this TOM for tuning. Your thoughts (generally speaking)?

#8 ·
Tom (from Focus Power) has been providing Remote Tuning for the community for a long time. I am not sure FSwerks does remote tuning on home made kits.

If you feel more comfortable getting a dyno tune you may be able to ask around the community to find a reputable Focus tuner in your area. I am fairly lucky and went to McNews Automotive in PA; another long standing Focus tuner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.