Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Restart issue after timing belt replacement

2K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  biederboat 
#1 · (Edited)
Restart issue after timing belt replacement - help appreciated!!!

Just replaced the timing belt on my 2000 ZTEC. The timing belt "spun" in the driveway on a start attempt and sat for a couple months before I finally got it on today. I wanted to make sure it was "okay" so I just installed the valve cover and front motor mount hardware and started it (no accessory belt to drive water pump, alternator, etc.). It started after a few seconds, sounded "reasonably okay" (ran rough for a few seconds). I didn't want to run it for very long but did a couple of short restarts but, after that, it doesn't seem to want to start.

Any thoughts on why it won't start? I understand there's no alternator providing a battery charge and no water circulating but I was only running it for about 10-15 seconds at the most. I haven't cranked it but a few times for a few seconds. Oh yeah, before I started it I did crank over a couple times to verify the camshaft/crankshaft timing (pin and bar fit perfect).

Thanks,
BB

#2 ·
It should start and run fine like that. Pull upper belt cover and verify belt not moving around........you don't mention whether battery ran down from sitting, low would make for start issues, starter steals needed ignition power.

#4 ·
Still no go. It's cranking over strong but just isn't coming to life. I re-verfied the belt timing, it looks good and checked for spark while cranking which is there. Stuck a little ether start down the throttle body and it fired just briefly. Other than that, nothing. Oh, I also reset the fuel pump switch. I'm wondering if the fuel pump is stuck after sitting about 2-3 months? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
BB

#5 ·
Okay, so there doesn't appear to be any way to hook up a fuel pressure gauge on a Focus? I can't find any test port on the rail (2000 Ztec).

But I did remove the fuel fitting from the rail, turned ignition on: nothing. Cranked over and it started for a bit, I suspect it was able to suck fuel in that was otherwise held back by having had the line sucked dry.

I checked the fuel pressure switch again. Is there any reason that it wouldn't pump fuel just because the alternator is disconnnected? I still just have it running with the timing belt, not the accessory belt.

BB

#6 ·
Well, you know the timing is set right. Put the rest of it back together. you need to bleed the cooling system anyway.

Can you physically hear the pump operating?

That's correct though, there is no pressure test fitting. The little "regulator" you see on the end of the rail is simply a pressure sensor so the computer can adjust the pump's output.

Also, are you sure someone didn't siphon out the gas?

#7 ·
Well, I'm in the process of completing the assembly. Doesn't look like anything related to the timing belt. Gas gauge does show 1/4 tank.

Should there be fuel flow straight out of the fitting with the engine cranking or even just the ignition on? I would sure think so.

The only other thing I can think of at the moment is I'm wondering if somehow there is water in the line and it froze. It is a cold snap at the moment, car is in a garage. I'm trying to finish assy so it can sit outside in the sun.

Oh yeah, I never hear anything "running" (e.g. fuel pump), near as I can tell anyways, when I turn the ignition on.

Any other thoughts?

BB

#9 ·
Well, now that I think about it, I likely just "ignored" it, probably thought it was something else all these years! [facepalm] In any case, I all I hear is that ringing in my ears that won't stop. Pretty sure fuel pump isn't running. I did check the fuse.

Is there any "normal" condition that could cause the fuel pump to quit after sitting for a couple months?

Thanks,
BB

#10 ·
The fuel pump is not working?

Before you replace the fuel pump: check the fuel cutoff switch located in the passenger side kick panel in the car. Make sure the button is not popped up. Sometimes during some repairs the cutoff switch can be tripped.

Next, check the fuel pump fuse. I think it is #15 under the hood, but check your owner's manual to be certain.

Finally, there is the fuel pump controller. These have been known to go out, but I would replace a fuel pump before I replaced a controller. The controller is located under the rear seat on the passenger side of the vehicle. You can check power going to it, and power going to the pump (key on) with an electronic voltage tester.

BTW, if the fuel sensor is not connected under the hood, I do not think the fuel pump will not turn on. You should re-assemble the car before diagnosing this issue.

#11 ·
Thanks, I have reassembled the car. It definitely appears fuel pump is not working (no noise, no fuel when disconnected from rail). Fuse is good. Button is not popped up on reset switch.

Can you tell me roughly where the fuel sensor is? I'm wondering if the engine being jacked up/down during the timing belt change may have pulled a connector.

Thanks,
BB

#12 ·
fuel sensor is the little black box at the end of the fuel rail. I doubt it was damaged.

It might not work but if you can get under there and pound on the fuel tank, it may allow the commutators within the pump to work and your pump could be fine for a while, or it could go out again. Just one of those things.

#13 ·
Thanks, I'll check it out. This is a "replaced" car (love my 2013!!!) that I'm just trying to get ready to sell and I have limited time durations when I can work on it. Real bummer I finally had the time to finish the timing belt and then this happens but I do know that "lack of use" can be just as detrimental as "too much use".

BB

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.