Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Those with Magnaflow's Exhaust System (Part #15072)

56K views 197 replies 42 participants last post by  Gi_Jo_Nathan 
#1 ·
I'm VERY interested in purchasing Magnaflow's exhaust system for my SEL, but I wanted to get a little more info on it before throwing down the $$$. So far the only FF member I've seen with the actual Magnaflow system (non-custom) is VH5150, and he was even nice enough to post up a decent write-up with detailed pictures. Here's the link:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=295099

With that said, I'd like to ask anyone with this particular system to please post up with their experiences with it. If you happen to have any videos or photos to post up, as well, that'd be even better! [race] From what I've heard from the Magnaflow website, I really love how this exhaust sounds, but I was hoping to hear a few other clips from the FF community to really sway my decision. [woot]

Thanks in advance for any and all help! [ffrocks]

#50 ·
Someone would probably try to play cricket with it [facepalm] I wouldn't think it would be possible to crush or bend it physically??

The difference between a 2.25" and 2.5" exhaust is a bit more than minimal. It really depends on the user. If you're only going to do intake, cat-back, and maybe tune, the user doesn't need more than the 2.25" setup. Headers, cams, etc., will be held back by a 2.25" system. Don't be surprised that our cars are almost maxing out the 2" system.

There's no need for people to get offended by other people pointing out problems with ideas. There is nothing wrong with someone buying an axle-back if that is what they want. Just know that spending $400 is the equivalent to what members have spent on an entirely custom cat-back 2.5" system and that some have done an entirely custom axle-back for about $100.

This is just another example of why the experienced forum members don't really want to help the inexperienced members. It, for some reason, ends up being a fight over 'who's got the bigger exhaust'...

^^^ See what I did there[thumb]
I sense more dyno runs in your future LOL - Intake (Steeda) Cat back (15072) and tune ??? Joey D is driving (without tune of course) my ideally setup car - to my ears it's perfection.[headbang]
If only I didn't live on the dark side of the planet [mecry]

#47 · (Edited)
The difference between a 2.25" and 2.5" exhaust is a bit more than minimal. It really depends on the user. If you're only going to do intake, cat-back, and maybe tune, the user doesn't need more than the 2.25" setup. Headers, cams, etc., will be held back by a 2.25" system. Don't be surprised that our cars are almost maxing out the 2" system.

There's no need for people to get offended by other people pointing out problems with ideas. There is nothing wrong with someone buying an axle-back if that is what they want. Just know that spending $400 is the equivalent to what members have spent on an entirely custom cat-back 2.5" system and that some have done an entirely custom axle-back for about $100.

This is just another example of why the experienced forum members don't really want to help the inexperienced members. It, for some reason, ends up being a fight over 'who's got the bigger exhaust'...

^^^ See what I did there[thumb]

#48 ·
I simply wish Magnaflow would release a dyno chart for their exhaust with a comparison to a stock dyno chart.

I'm more inclined to go for the 2.25" exhaust because intake/exhaust is all I really plan on doing with this car. I feel the 2.5" FSWerks exhaust would be overkill (and I don't want to deal with the drone, either).

However, when it all boils down to it, I simply want the exhaust that's going to give me the most HP. If 2.25" is all I need, then that would be what I'd choose.

#49 ·
In reality, I would imagine that the 2.5" would produce more with just an intake, but I'm sure it would be negligible (<5 hp). I did the math a while ago, and I'm pretty sure that 2.25" exhaust was able to support somewhere in the vicinity of 195 hp. Don't quote me on that, though, but it was plenty for initial bolt-ons.

I do agree on wanting to see a dyno, but that is more for data analysis than anything. Just to know for sure exactly what mods due what for our motors.

#52 ·
Just had mine installed today at a shop, great fit and sound is just what I was looking for......a low rumble and wakes up when you want..
Not looking for big hp gains but on the way home at 70 mph, reset my est EPA and shot well over 40 with just 1200 miles on the odo. Been mostly mid to high 30's since purchase.
Great buy at $460. Recommended.

#53 ·
Awesome!! I'm glad to hear that you're loving your Magnaflow system too! :) If you don't mind me asking, where did you order yours from? Thanks!!

On a side note, if you don't mind posting up a drive by video in your spare time, I'd REALLY appreciate it! Thanks in advance!! :-D

#56 ·
I got mine on order in the steeda power pack can't wait I'm going to be making a Catless test pipe to maybe make the exhaust a little louder and some gains and maybe run a sport cat( mayne maybe full catless) and my Cosworth header to get some more gains. The techs at borla said the 2.25 systems were able to scavenge exhaust gasses and flow better then the 2.5" prototype systems they made and made more hp and sounded better then the 2.5" systems they tried.
(came from borla themselves do I imagine from looking at the two kits it's almost identical.
Cept the magnaflow doesnt come with a front pipe on the front darn... My silly pzevs got two cats on it :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#57 ·
I got mine on order in the steeda power pack can't wait I'm going to be making a Catless test pipe to maybe make the exhaust a little louder and some gains and maybe run a sport cat( mayne maybe full catless) and my Cosworth header to get some more gains. The techs at borla said the 2.25 systems were able to scavenge exhaust gasses and flow better then the 2.5" prototype systems they made and made more hp and sounded better then the 2.5" systems they tried.
(came from borla themselves do I imagine from looking at the two kits it's almost identical.
Cept the magnaflow doesnt come with a front pipe on the front darn... My silly pzevs got two cats on it :/

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
Wow, that sounds like a pretty serious setup!! Please post up a video of how it sounds once you get everything all set up!! [thumb]

On a side note, I find it interesting about Borla's experience with using the 2.25" tubing. When it all comes down to it, I can see how maintaining a bit of the back-pressure would definitely aid in performance. That being said, I'd be curious as to what kind of numbers your setup puts down on the dyno. [headbang]

#58 ·
i am sure you guys know this, but when it comes to exhaust bigger is not always better. You need to find a happy medium. too restrictive and the exhaust wont flow well. Too free flowing and the exhaust wont work properly. The way the exhaust is set up the exhaust gasses scavenges and aids in pulling exhaust gasses out of the combustion chambers. From my experience... 2.25" should be fine for bolt on mods. For forced induction or more serious mods such as cams id def go with 2.5"

#59 ·
That is unfortuantely not necessarily the case. Scavenging occurs in the header design, not in the cat-back portion of the exhaust. Once you are past the collector, backpressure should be reduced as much as possible to maximize the reduction of pumping losses.

Back in the day it was believed that backpressure helped with torque, but that has been disproven. Once you reach an optimal point (size relation) you just don't see any more gains.

Sent from my stupid phone.

#62 ·
I got the exhaust in last week its finaly broken in and omg sounds amazing. Cant wait till I delete my second cat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

#65 ·
Awesome mate - thanks for posting the vids, the third is wicked [thumb]

#67 ·
Yah magnaflows video didnt really do it justice but cruising down the highway just quiet as can be and its not obnoxious. Though if you install your self like i did do NOT rely on the instructions they give you. There going by the old duratec motor i believe so just be sure double measure before you cut and line up the new one before cutting i did several more cuts then i had to but was worth the extra 10 mins took about 2hrs with a sawzal

#68 ·
That is definitely the catback I'll be going with some day.

Though I'm still curious what the stock muffler would sound like if you replaced that smaller resonator that's directly under the center of the car with a straight pipe.

Is that the restrictive part that the gains come from or the part at the back of the car?

#69 ·
I'm sure that the gains are strictly from the increased size in the exhaust tubing. The stock center muffler and resonator are most likely of straight pass-through design, and dyno graphs show that there is no gain to the delete of the rear muffler.

Sent from my stupid phone.

#75 ·
If you go universal make sure the shop does mandrel bent tubing and tig welds
Crush bent just wont work on cars with tight bends in the cars cavity.
Usualy custom ends up more expencive than just buying the kit. Go on fj theres a kit for sale from massive for a good price in the sponsors section

#76 ·
Great thread, this helped me a lot in my exhaust purchase debate (with myself). I'm definitely leaning towards this Magnaflow cat-back kit, just need to look up the sedan part number.

#78 ·
One thing I haven't seen many people do is change out the cat, and I can't figure out why. Everyone seems to stick with a cat-back system. Joey D, VH5150, ShogunSamurai2005, how come you guys didn't swap the cat as well?

Edit: macatron, good to see a fellow CT'er here!

#79 ·
The primary catalyst is integrated in the Exhaust manifold. Some people (FocusBoy58 comes to mind) have changed the exhaust manifold with one of the catless aftermarket pre 2011 2.0 L duratec headers, but if you were concerned about emissions and or vehicular inspections its best to leave the main cat alone, although PZEV vehicles have a secondary catalyst behind the first one and ahead of the resonator and mufflers.

#80 ·
I made a test pipe to go with my magnaflow system to delete the cat i like this system cause i can swap it back easy witgoxut yaving to out the whole stock exhaust on when i need to smog

#83 ·
Thanks for the diagram. So it looks like the cat-back systems get rid of one of those smaller mufflers/resonators, since there seems to be only one small cylinder right at the front (behind the cat), and then the large muffler at the rear.

#85 ·
Weird.. ive got the sport package I had my pzev cat the first muffler then the last transverse muffler at tge end nothing else and it varied from 2.0 to 2.25 in the whole exhaust

This is everything minus the cat at the end that needed ti be cut for the magnaflow exhaust till I made my test pipe

#86 ·
I can pick up the system for about the same price as ShogunSamurai2005, but its the hatchback version. Would there be any issues with cutting it and adding an extra piece of pipe and welding that in for it to be the correct length? I can't see how the sedan version costs $700 and the hatchback version costs $500.

#88 ·
I called up a local shop and wanted to ask about them installing this system if I brought it to them. The guy went into being able to make a custom system. In the end, it looks like 2.5" compression bent stainless steel, no resonator, and either a regular magnaflow 1 in 1 out, or a camaro/firebird magnaflow 1 in 2 out. Said he could do a cut out for the tips in the bumper too. He said it will be a 14 or 18 inch muffler, I forget which he said. All this for $500.

Any comments? I'm wondering how it will be with the resonator, and I'll have to try to look up that camaro muffler.

#90 ·
Thanks again for the info. I decided to not go the custom route, and I snagged the Magnaflow 15138 kit for a reasonable price. Now to decide if I want to find friends with the jacks, stands, and tools to do it myself, or find a reputable shop to install it.

#94 ·
I don't mind, I paid $550 final price.

#91 ·
Just make sure you can get the car high enough i cut after the car and right after the the subframe and had trouble wiggling it out and getting the new peice in a lift will make it so much easyer and i recomend it if you can swing it. You can do it on jackstands but id had to have em maxed out high and it wasnt so safe doing that

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.