Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Engine Light Code P1131

15K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  penguin 
#1 ·
OK, had this engine light come on almost 2 weeks ago...

replaced O2 sensor by the exhaust manifold today, no dice. Still got a check engine light on.

I already checked for vacuum leaks, and didnt find any. Anyone wanna give a shove in the right direction here?? I"m pissed, I was 80% sure replacing the sensor would end this....

I'm thinking my MAF next...cleaned or replaced. After that, I'm looking at like 50 possible things, so someone please help if you can!

#4 ·
no, the DPFE is a common prob with the zetec's. if u r looking at the engine on the right hand side u will see the egr valve and right above it is the DPFE.googly moogly woogly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (the last part was what happens when u let your GF hold your laptop, lol)

#5 ·
I might have made a bonehead mistake...

I think for this type of check engine light, the light will not go away until you basically reset the engine and remove all codes. After I installed the new O2 sensor, I shouldve unhooked my battery then hooked it up again and driven for a while.

Once the P1131 code is tripped, its not going to "go away" simply by replacing or fixing the problem. The code is stored after the test for O2 sensor switching has failed a certain amount of times. Just installing the new part doesnt erase those failed tests, so the light won't go off. Unhooking the battery cables DOES make the light go away. If it comes back, the O2 sensor wasnt the problem. If it doesnt come back, then it was.

I shouldve done that immediately after installation and I did not.

I'm guessing here, but dpfe is the EGR sensor?? If the light comes back, I'll investigate that among other things like the MAF, exhaust leaks, fuel system, complete air system diagnosis, the list goes on and on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.