Focus Fanatics Forum banner

fswerks race exhaust

26K views 64 replies 26 participants last post by  Ryokuro 
#1 ·
so i am getting the fswerks exhaust installed thursday. More than likely I will just do a normal install for this exhaust but what do you all think about making the two tips exit in the center? Just curious

#7 ·
looks fantastic, sounds fantastic. It is deep, rumbles at idle, but is really loud and does drone on the freeway though. Doesn't really bug me at all. Stock the car had literally zero exhasut note. BTW, installing myself, and let me tell you, there was like zero wiggle room under there. It is a tight fit (without a lift atleast).

Pic? Pic:

#8 ·
I love the color of your car and exhaust looks awesome. I hate waiting for stuff to be shipped. Thanks for the heads up. I am actually having a local shop do it for me. I know how to do it, just don't have the resources to do so

#9 ·
the hardest part was cutting off the stock system (without a saws all) since it was installed under the suspension, and then balancing the muffler on my face while laying under the car, since that bolts on directly to the flex pipe. Like I said in last post, it is tight getting the second (longest piece of the system) in the groove and attached to the exhasut tip. It would had been impossible without ratcheting wrenches. But in all seriousness, the guys over at FS Werks are great, it is a great quality system and it's worth every penny.

#10 ·
I have heard sounds clips and videos, etc. But hearing it in person, I haven't been able to do. From your experience do you think it sounds ricer-ish, or does it have a respectable tone. In all gears?

#13 ·
I got 37 MPG when I went to Midland, TX from Austin, TX. About 330 miles one way. I got 36 MPG on my way back from Midland, TX.

#19 ·
Loud doesn't mean quicker in most cases but if I don't buy a system I might just do a custom muffler/tip setup and Magnaflow or Borla are some options but the sound of both brands has been hit and miss on various cars. I just don't want the obnoxious Kazoo sound you get from 4 bangers.

#23 ·
dude the stealth is much more subtle and still sounds fantastic. The race is LOUD. It depends if you want split tip or not. Personally if I were you, I'd go stealth: T304, stainless steel, American made quality craftsmanship. If you want to drop $700+ you might be able to get a split tip Borla. If you go custom, make sure you go to a reputable exhasut shop where you can get mandrel bent piping. Your exhasut is only as big as the smallest part of it.

#24 ·
Thanks Duffman. If I go with an exhaust it's really hard to beat the Stealth's price of $535 shipped but I'm going down to the shop that built my 3" turbo back for my Eclipse and see what we can come up with.

#25 ·
Neither sound like a bad option. If you have a good shop that will mandrel bend, the sky is the limit. But yeah for the price and the quality, you can't go wrong with the FS Werks system.

#27 ·
FIW the lunchbox delete seems to give the most bang for your buck. I have the Borla exhaust and love the sound. I am thinking of putting on the factory resonator to keep more low speed noise down.

Before people ask the resonator for the FF is just an expansion tube with no baffling. straight trough so there will be no restrictions just slight sound change at lower speed.

#30 ·
Any idea if this will pass the visual inspection of an emission's test? I'm PA so its not as strict as cali or states like it. I'm sure the stealth will with the resonator/muffler in the center of the exhaust, but I want the race setup..

My hope was to just directly unbolt the stock exhaust and then bolt/clamp the fswerks one and when inspection/emission time came around just swap back. But I read that there still is cutting of the stock exhaust involved and even if there wasn't thats a long annoying process for a 15 minute inspection.

#44 ·
I took my stocker to the scrapper the very next day after installing my Race unit. There's still a cat in the cast manifold, and if the state inspector gives me guff, I'll patch in a Vibrant or something, get a sticker for 2 years, and then immediately proceed to bolt up a header for good measure, no regrets. These cars are so low emission, it's not even funny. If some d-bag's gonna roll coal, and not immediately get pulled over, I'll drive my WRC-wannabe any day of the week.

#31 ·
It should not matter for emissions unless it eliminates a cat. As long as both cats are still there, the rest of the exhaust does not matter.

#32 ·
I really hope you are right.. The only thing holding me back from buying it is that. I KNOW this car will pass the emissions part of the test with flying colors with or without the exhaust.

But when I took it in last time they looked under it, and I was told you need a muffler. Could perhaps buying a muffler and some 2.5/3 inch pipe and just clamp it on there for the time being be hard?

#33 ·
hey guys, I'm late to the party and before anyone gets rude, YES I read the whole thread. I just want to know how quiet the stealth actually is. I WANT to be heard however I don't want to be stupid loud. I understand that the race is loud, but is it annoyingly loud like the d-bags in their turd box civics?

#40 ·
Thanks for the thread revival! its nice to see someones using search. Thats honestly a great question, I will say that I did NOT purchase the WURTH brand paste and a few days after install I got under it to check for leaks and it was blowing horribly. I did not buy the paste because from what reviews I could read on exhaust paste (not WURTH brand specifically) it said that it does "last" and it crumbles off with time. I now bought some cheap exhaust tape from advanced auto and its actually sealing the joints pretty good, but will not last. I'm probably going to order the paste and do it correctly or pay to have it welded up. Just my .02 I hope someone else chimes in to help.

#41 ·
Its very hard to find any info on the exhaust paste, whether it be instructions or reviews, but I did see one person say on a Harley Davidson forum, that he tried and tried and tried to get the exhaust on his bike to seal and the wurth paste was the only thing that has lasted and worked. He also mentioned he had used it for the last 12 years on his bikes without fail.

#45 ·
So I have the Stealth on my car right now and also have the pipe for the Race in the garage (Woo options) So to those that have the Race is it a better sound than the Stealth? Noise level isn't an issue for me (Drove a Honda with nothing but the header for like five months, talk about loud) so as long as the Race gives it a good sound I'll throw it on ASAP because I kinda like people to notice my car (Makes little rice burners think they're fast until they get their ass beat) I'd just like to know beforehand if it's a better noise

#47 ·
Different engine of course, and different model year, but here's what the race sounds like on my car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.