Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Where to Get Rear Lower Control Arm Bolts

21K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  jlaws1990 
#1 ·
I've been looking around the forums all morning, and I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to need to cut off the control arm bolts and replace the control arms. I can find the control arms pretty easily (seems RockAuto is the place to get them cheapest) , but where do I get the bolts at? Do those have to be sourced directly from ford? Or can they be obtained online somewhere? Seems that every thread that talks about replacing the control arms doesn't mention where the new bolts are obtained.

I'll be working on a 2005 Wagon if it makes any difference.

#3 ·
Take what's left of the bolt to you're auto parts store (I've had good luck at NAPA and independents for things like nuts and bolts). The head of the bolt usually has the strength/grade markings on it so try to salvage that. There's not special about them. They just need to be the correct length, grade, and diameter. Your friendly hardware store can probably set you up as well.

#6 ·
Thanks for the reply my_beautious_ZX3. Based on the part numbers listed in your post, I was able to google and find a few other posts about these nuts/bolts. One of them listed them as:

6S4Z-5K751-AA (CAM)
W500746-S439 (BOLT)
6S4Z-5K978-AA (BOLT)
W703016-S306 (NUT)

It looks like W500746-S439 is the bolt I need for the tire side of the LCA.

It also looks like 6S4Z-5K798-AA is the bolt for the other end of the LCA that attaches near the middle of the car.

Where is the CAM bolt at? Does that need to be replaced along with the other two LCA bolts?

Only one nut was listed....W703016-S306....is that nut the same for ALL of these bolts?

I don't want to go to a hardware store and get the nuts/bolts. I don't trust myself to get the right grade/hardness/etc. I also don't like paying more for hardware than I have to, but the safety of my wife/kids (primary users of the focus) is more important than saving a few bucks.

If I can find the part numbers for all of the nuts/bolts I need to replace the rear LCAs, I can just order them offline somewhere. I just need to make sure I have all of the right part numbers for everything I'll need. Can anyone verify the above list is what I will need?

#7 ·
It looks like W500746-S439 is the bolt I need for the tire side of the LCA.
I can't comment on that because I just used generic hardened hardware from the hardware store for the tire side.

It also looks like 6S4Z-5K798-AA is the bolt for the other end of the LCA that attaches near the middle of the car.
correct, but your part # has a typo

Where is the CAM bolt at? Does that need to be replaced along with the other two LCA bolts?
like I said in my post, 6S4Z-5K978-AA = cam bolt. "Cam" refers to the eccentric that is integrated into the bolt; think "cam shaft". Someone just posted a sweet pic of one: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=303384

Only one nut was listed....W703016-S306....is that nut the same for ALL of these bolts?
I don't know, a Ford dealer could answer that.

I don't want to go to a hardware store and get the nuts/bolts. I don't trust myself to get the right grade/hardness/etc. I also don't like paying more for hardware than I have to, but the safety of my wife/kids (primary users of the focus) is more important than saving a few bucks.

If I can find the part numbers for all of the nuts/bolts I need to replace the rear LCAs, I can just order them offline somewhere. I just need to make sure I have all of the right part numbers for everything I'll need.
in my experience, only a dealer stocks this kind of hardware. Alot of folks on this forum have found that Tousley Ford has slightly lower prices than your local dealer.

Can anyone verify the above list is what I will need?
Each LCA has one toe adjuster in the center of the car, which is composed of three parts - the cam bolt (cam integrated into a bolt), a loose cam that slides on the opposite side of the cam bolt, and a nut to keep it all together. The only thing that appears to be missing from your list is one loose cam for each LCA; $12/ea at Ford unless you reuse your old ones.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.