Focus Fanatics Forum banner

How To: springs and struts

10K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  ChrissyL 
#1 ·
on march 8th i put in four roush springs and front roush struts i also did z3 fenders so if anyone wants a how to on those ic an post one of those in the exterior section, so heres some step by step things on some people that are new at it, if ive made any mistakes please pm me to fix.

Start by removing all four tires.

next thing you want to do is unscrew the three screws on the front upper mounts. then you remove the stabilizer bar link rod securing nut.also you must disconnect the brake hose line.

normally after this youll need a piece of wood to settle on your rotor assembly and use a rubber mallet and hammer down onto the rotor to detach the strut assembly from the rotor.once you do that you can slide the strut assembly with teh stock spring still attached out. grab a vise and wrap your aftermarket strut with a padded rag and dont over tighten it on your strut but make sure its tight enough to when you go to compress the spring.
grab your spring compressor and start compressing your spring, once compressed a little, loosen and remove the retaining nut. and remove the upper bearing and spring seat. then very very carefully remove the spring.

heres a picture of what your n ew strut and spring assembly should look like,

WARNING: make sure when you are installing hte new spring into the strut that you carefully very very carefully remove the spring compressor from the original spring to avoid injury. and as you know do everything backwards from there for installations. Slide the strut with new spring back in and tighten the three upper mounting bolts, but not all the way just finger tight. place the jackstand underneath the rotor alligning the stabilizer bar link rod with the hole. Re attatch the brake hose. and your good to go.

heres what my difference was in original height to roush height.

And now for the rear.
Well im not to sure on how to do it without compressing the rear springs so ill just show you by compressing them. Start by removing the lower arm to crossmember bolt and bolt to hub assembly.

you could just step back a bit and give it a swift kick to the hub assembly thats what we did or you can just compress the rear springs.

And again here was my difference in the rear stock springs to the roush ones.

either way when you do this putting the new springs in is simply easy. you can put a jack underneath the drum once the new spring is in no need for compressing the rears after the stock one is out. put the jack under the drum when the new spring is inand re tighten the bolts from earlier and voila.
before and AFTER

Hope you all enjoy and can use this for help.

See less See more
#3 ·
hah good thing its not my garage lol its brad whites the moderators. his garage is where allll of my modifications happen cuz it has every tool you need and all the hands to help

#26 ·
Sean, judging from my experience (all three stress bars, FRPP kit), the rear stress bar won't do much to help the bumpy ride of the stiffer springs, but will noticeably steady the car's transitional response in cornering, especially with your ZX3.

#10 ·
Car looks good. And I will have my laptop out in the garage with this how-to close at hand when I swap my suspension here soon!

#23 ·
looks and FEELS much better, just keep browsing the for sael sections lots of people giving away deals theres a guy i dont know if he sold them but hes got the eibach sport kit for like 135 shipped

#24 ·
i had to drill and cut two lugs on the passenger front lug cuz the previous owner just stripped the hell out o fthem from doing whatever they did or it was ford dealer that did it when they did my breakes

#22 ·
sorry foci lol i got to them first lol as you can see they make everythig much sharper [thumb] also with these springs and my struts and shocks i put in DAMN does it handle like a freaking champ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.