Focus Fanatics Forum banner

How many People with the SPI had a Valve Seat Failure?

96K views 152 replies 83 participants last post by  shawnmos 
#1 ·
I am curious. How many of us with the SPI Focus engine had a valve seat drop? How did it happen? What # cylinder was it? How many miles were on your engine?

Thanks!

Todd

#3 ·
Not really sure about the mileage but it's well over 150K and it's cylinder 4 that is bad. Its weird because in researching what my problem could be, it seems the majority of these are because of cylinder 4 failures. Mine happened when my daughter was out driving it like any other day and she stopped at the store. She got back in and when she tried to start it up, it was obvious there was a problem. I think it happens when it heats up and cools down rapidly. Thankfully it didn't happen when she was driving so it didn't cause any major damage or cause her to freak out and get into an accident.

#6 ·
Valve seat drop?

I have had two foci at the shop I work at that had that same problem. And yes, they were both cyl. #4. Don't remember if it was the intake or exhaust seat that dropped though. Both cars 100k+ miles. Machine shop replaced seat with slightly larger o.d. seat and replacement valve. No problems since. later.

#12 ·
Mine was twice! Original owner @ 99k, then for me (2nd owner) @ 119k miles. Installed a zetec motor. Done with that c##p. When someone says they replaced the head after it happen and its all good. Ask them how many miles "all good" as mine went twice! Also, previous owner and myself drove it like adults. Nothing crazy.

#14 ·
First time @ 99k was #2! [mecry]. I didn't even check the second time. I heard the rod knock, then motor seized. It was either #2 or #4.

#17 ·
Car #1 2000 (9/1999 build date I think) manual, went in August with 196,000. Cylinder #4 Intake. Dropped while downshifting and driving easily. I have had it for 100k and take great care of it. Just finished dropping in a donor SPI a month ago.

Car # 2 2000 (01/2000 build date) automatic, went last week, 119,000. It was my temporary replacement for car #1 :( Cylinder #2 Intake. Ran fine when shut off at work, was bad wrong when trying to start after work.

May have enough parts between the 2 bad engines to make 1 with a new head.

Both cars ran great and had zero issues until they died.
I love the Focus but will likely be looking to get it running and sell both for either a Focus without the SPI or maybe a Matrix.

#19 ·
My god so many of these threads... Anyway mine did it at the end of december 2010, cold winter day at the top of a hill. Had hoped to make it home but I knew it was about to go.

118k or something like that... You saw the pics, it ran. Dropped #4

#20 · (Edited)
#4 at just under 115k miles after a tank of Lucas top end valve cleaner. Dropped after an over night cold start in the driveway in February.

Just under 30k miles later still running it up to 5k rpm during hill climbs through the mountains for 10+ minutes at a time. Pushing my luck? - we'll see........

Maybe the AERA spec re-manufactured head is the lucky charm....... (It showed signs of dropping #2 when I got it).

don't be the jinx for me please.....lol

#21 ·
#4 at just under 115k miles after a tank of Lucus top end valve cleaner. Dropped after an over night cold start in the driveway in February.

Just under 30k miles later still running it up to 5k rpm during hill climbs through the mountains for 10+ minutes at a time. Pushing my luck? - we'll see........

Maybe the AERA spec re-manufactured head is the lucky charm....... (It showed signs of dropping #2 when I got it).

don't be the jinx for me please.....lol
#2 went on mine @ 99k. At 119k not sure which went I just put a zetec in and called it.

#23 ·
2001 SE 120K

Number 1 exhaust let go. Cool day in southern California near sea level. Daughter drove it to school was uneventful, tried to start after 2 hours in class just wouldn’t start she said. Sounded like a starter, replaced it and no joy. Pulled the plugs and attempted to hand crank, totality seized in both directions.

Pulled the head and the dreaded DVS (Dropped Valve Seat) syndrome. I talked to the local head shop and they said “O ya we see a lot of them and we know what to do” I have used this shop before on more normal rebuilds and where fine.

My question is the piston is a bit, well a little more than a bit (a relative word I know) dinged in top. The cylinder is fine. I did oil in the cylinder overnight and no leakage. Also ran the starter and no clunk, click, tick seem to be ok.

What are the odds of being OK if I just take a dye grinder to the piston and head to remove potential hot spots? I really don’t want to do the bottom end. I was never good at bearings, plastic gage, etc. And the thought of a day or more on my back under a car in the street isn’t very pleasant.

Thank you for this sight. I had a good idea what it was even before removing the head. And the tips as a lurker where very valuable. Like the cleaning of manifolds and EGR system for other bits in there. I never would have thought of that.

Thanks again.

#24 ·
Dropping a valve seat on cylinder one isnt common...in fact ive never heard of it. its most commonly cylinder 2 or 4.

My 02 Focus w/ 154k miles dropped exhaust valve seat on cylinder 2 and it mashed up the piston just as yours did. I was just gonna get a new head and leave the mashed up piston there. My cylinder wall is also fine no scratches or scars (surprisingly).

I talked to a few mechanics who said to not leave the damaged piston there. Do not dye the piston. I was gonna do that but decided not to. The piston is damaged, and theres no fixing it. If I were you, I wouldnt even be concerned about the piston at this point. Think of what that seat dropping in the cylinder may have done to the connecting rod or crankshaft. It chipped the hell out of the piston and head, and all the stress from that went on the connecting rod and possibly crankshaft. Most of the times when these valve seats drop, it damages the piston rod and sometimes even bends the crankshaft. I decided after pricing things and realizing how much work my motor would need that it would be best to do a Zetec swap. I suggest you do the same. It would cost the same if not less as putting in another SPI.

If you need any more info or help just message me.

#27 ·
I have to do the the works. I scribed a line on #1 and #4 the damaged #1 saw a slight twist running via the starter. I put a blob of clay and made a pointer up and over a foot out of pipe cleaners and about a 2 degree of twist. Thank goodness for high school trig. So a bent rod at the least.

My only concern now has any one done the bottom end namely bearing installation that should be done on a stand in almost a clean room? Can it be done laying on your back under the car? I have done a full rebuild several times on a stand. I really don't want to yank the hole thing out of there. This would be my first side ways engine removal.

It is my daughters run around town car. A thousand dollars in parts. Head job, pistons, rings, rods, etc, etc and while you are in there water pump, belt adjusters, belts. in a 2000 dollar car. May be time to call the junk yard. I don't know. Shucks I thought it was a 150 buck starter.

#28 ·
hello everyone,im new here hope im welcome,

i just want to share what happened to my 2.0 spi sohc engine,happened at 148000 miles here on miami florida,normal sunny day,82F weather last tuesday.
the valve seat dropped on cylinder 2,its so bad, it pierce the cylinder wall and created a big hole,i was told by the mechanic,none of the intake and exhaust manifolds and cylinder head and block can be recovered as it is so damage,pieces might be trap on those,coz me coz me 1600 for a rebuild engine,

I just want to ask, this event could have cause by me by neglect?
I always change oil,add coolant,timing belt been replace and coolant,it never overheated,im lost on this one.

#30 ·
hello everyone,im new here hope im welcome,

i just want to share what happened to my 2.0 spi sohc engine,happened at 148000 miles here on miami florida,normal sunny day,82F weather last tuesday.
the valve seat dropped on cylinder 2,its so bad, it pierce the cylinder wall and created a big hole,i was told by the mechanic,none of the intake and exhaust manifolds and cylinder head and block can be recovered as it is so damage,pieces might be trap on those,coz me coz me 1600 for a rebuild engine, (I did the zetec swap for MUCH less!)

I just want to ask, this event could have cause by me by neglect? (No)I always change oil,add coolant,timing belt been replace and coolant,it never overheated,im lost on this one. (doesn't matter)
Replied above in bold

Grab a cold one and read my thread.
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=252790

#33 ·
trust me,i was engage to do that,im just pissed i dont have any mechanically inclined family and friends, i have tools, just dont have a crane or a hoist to pull an engine,i have hundred junkyards around me and its killing me inside i wasnt able to do this swap,

#34 ·
i THINK you can rent hoists right? And go slow im sure we could help you do it. If you want to do it enough Im sure you could
Posted via FF Mobile

#44 ·
Recently decided to just sell the car, problems and all, to someone who could devote the time and effort to making it run like new. The car itself was in excellent condition but I told the new owner all about the condition of motor and what he's getting himself into. He was looking forward to the challenge and I wished him all the luck in the world. I wish I had more time to devote to rebuilding it but that's how it goes... now I'm a former focus owner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.