Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Cracked windshield

16K views 36 replies 12 participants last post by  VectorZ 
#1 ·
I've been driving for almost 40 years and have owned cars for 35 years and never cracked a windshield until now. I'm driving 40mph in a 40mph zone and someone in an SUV doing about 60mph passes me going the other way (me west he east) and as he passes I hear a pretty loud smack on the windshield but didn't see any damage. About 15 minutes later I notice a crack about 3-4 inches long halfway up and going all the way to the drivers side edge. #$#$$%!!! Another 20 minutes and the cracks about 6 inches long and it seems to have stabilized at 6 inches.

OK, I never had to replace a windshield before but this crack is too big and in a bad spot so it looks like I need to get it replaced. What would I expect to pay for a new windshield if I was to pay out of pocket? I have Geico insurance and I know I'm covered but what effect does replacing a windshield have on your premiums if I have Geico foot the bill? Is there anything else I need to know such as: where to get it replaced, where to avoid, what the effect is on my insurance?

BTW, the car is a 2012 FF Ti HB with about 12,400 miles and has otherwise been free of defects or issues (MFT, DCT, etc).

Brian

See less See more
#2 ·
Most insurance companies have a special rider on the policy specifically about windshield replacement.
It is a common problem.
Have a specialty place do it. NOT the dealer (who never replaces windshields)
The specialty places do windshields ALL the time. And can do it perfectly in their sleep.
Dealers never do windshields and will mess it up, unless they send it out to the specialty shop anyway...
Call your insurance co about it.
It is not going to cause any problems with insurance.
(though if you get rebates for 'no claim', that will be gone for one cycle of the rebate)

#3 ·
Call Geico. They should get the appointment for replacement all set up for you. You'll get a call from the glass company confirming everything. Nothing will happen to your premium.

#4 ·
Should be no problem, but it depends on the insurance laws in your state. Here in Virginia, comprehensive claims like a cracked windshield cannot be held against you in terms of increasing your premiums. My daughter and son-in-law were claims adjusters for Geico. I would check the Yellow Pages for glass repair companies in your area. Or just Google them! At any rate, it ultimately depends on how much your deductible is as to whether or not you want to foot the bill yourself. But I would say there would be absolutely no impact on your premiums.

#5 ·
I'll have to put off getting the windshield replaced until after I get back from my next trip (I leave early tomorrow). The crack is now 12 inches long...

Brian

#6 ·
The above...

And whoever you end up using, make sure they use glass from a quality brand.

The cheaper glass will crack and pit easier, etc., resulting in yet another replacement. [chair]

Personally, I insist on PPG, but there are other good brands.

#7 ·
A year ago these windshields were extremely expensive ~$600 so I'll be curious how much yours runs. I have cruddy progressive and they don't replace my windshield without dipping into my deductible so I've just been dealing with the crack in mine for about 9 months.

#9 ·
That must be why our windshields crack so easily. Seems like anything will chip these things. I convinced myself that I was just crazy but an odd type of windshield probably has at least a little effect on the durability. Do you have the option of getting a normal windshield as a replacement?

#10 ·
Mine has been smacked at least 3 times now. One required a repair, but did not crack. I think it's because the windshiled is so damn big in this car there's just a much larger area for rocks to impact. When I called around various shops the cheapest OEM replacement I could get was around $350.

#11 ·
Chips and cracks are such an issue here in Alberta that when I was getting insurance the company didn't want to give me glass coverage. It would have cost an extra $400 a year. A quick call to a glass place told me a new winshiled was $300 roughly for one. So no glass for me. It's a pain in the ass. I got a tiny chip in my windshield the second weekend I had the focus. I know where it is but it hasn't spread so I'll leave it be for now.

#13 ·
Windshield.

I install windshields for a living. Most windshields don't cost more than $250.00 installed. That said you definately want to replace it with a Carlite windshield. Carlite is sometimes more expensive but the quality is usually the best.
Does your windshield have a rain sensor? that drives up the cost. Your car is a 2012 so insist on a Carlite.
Once the windshield is installed it can be a hassle to get the glass shop to come back out to replace it if defective, especially if you don't go through insurance. For a 2012 you really should use insurance so you have a warranty through insurance as well as the glass shop. If you pay cash good luck getting customer service after install. If you have a leak, that could get expensive if water gets into the electronics.
if you don't go through insurance you will be responsible for repairs out of pocket.
Also consider getting your new windshield with a blue shade on the windshield. Great for summertime and when the sun is low in the Fall.

#14 ·
I install windshields for a living. Most windshields don't cost more than $250.00 installed. That said you definately want to replace it with a Carlite windshield. Carlite is sometimes more expensive but the quality is usually the best.
Does your windshield have a rain sensor? that drives up the cost. Your car is a 2012 so insist on a Carlite.
Once the windshield is installed it can be a hassle to get the glass shop to come back out to replace it if defective, especially if you don't go through insurance. For a 2012 you really should use insurance so you have a warranty through insurance as well as the glass shop. If you pay cash good luck getting customer service after install. If you have a leak, that could get expensive if water gets into the electronics.
if you don't go through insurance you will be responsible for repairs out of pocket.
Also consider getting your new windshield with a blue shade on the windshield. Great for summertime and when the sun is low in the Fall.

Rocky, great info, thanks for the input...

Yes, my 2012 FF Ti HB has the rain sensor so I'd expect it to cost a bit more -- maybe $50 more?

If I request Carlite glass and that's more than the Geico will authorize is that something I can cover the difference out of pocket?

Again, much thanks...

Brian

#15 ·
Just got off the phone with Geico and my coverage has a $250 deductible and the replacement is likely to cost about $360 so I'll be $250 out of pocket and Geico will cover about $110...

Brian

#33 ·
QuickClear would be sweet and as I live in an area that has wintery weather (SLC, UT) it would be much better and faster than scraping or pouring warm water over it.

How much current (amps) do those heaters use BTW?

Again, Rocky, thanks for your feedback...

Brian

#34 ·
QuickClear would be sweet and as I live in an area that has wintery weather (SLC, UT) it would be much better and faster than scraping or pouring warm water over it.
I just searched google for QuickClear - turns out it suppresses herpes outbreaks as well. Well done, Ford! [giddy]

#35 ·
I'm actually in a rental car about 80%+ as I travel for work and usually I'll use warm to very warm water to clear the ice as it's faster than scraping most of the time. Never broke a windshield doing that. I did, however, crack the windshield on a rental a few years back when I turned on the defroster. I'd left the defroster off until the car warmed up and within about 10 seconds of turning on the defroster the windshield cracked. I did not have a rock hit the car while I had it so it must have been damaged or stressed before I had it. National tried to force me to pay for it but my company, which does boatloads of business with National, convinced them to take a hike.

My previous car, a 2004 Toyota Matrix XR was traded in with 125,000 miles when I got the 2012 FF and the windshield on it, which was original, was so pitted and sandblasted it was sometimes difficult to see when driving into the Sun.

Brian

#36 ·
Well, I finally had my cracked windshield replaced last Friday, but, just 3 days later, as a snow plow was driving past me the other way, I heard several things hit my windshield. Yes, after just 3 days my new windshield has at least 3 little stars on it right in front of the driver...

Brian

This post has been deleted
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.