Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2005 Dual Halo Projector Retrofit Project

29K views 160 replies 24 participants last post by  Jgrove998 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey all! Well this thread is going to be about retrofitting a better projector assembly into my black housing dual halo projector headlights I purchased from k2motors.

To start, my opinion on the headlights themselves. The fitment is perfect for my 2005 sedan. The connectors also fit perfect with no problems. It is a simple source and ground connection for the halos and 4 LED bulbs in the eyebrows. I wired them to my running lights. The low and high beams run H1 bulbs. The projector low beams are where the problem starts. The light output is decent but not what I was expecting. The cutoff is OK but not super sharp and there are the infamous flip ups on either side of the light output. High beams are very bright! The sealant of the lights seem OK but after 3 months of having them all 4 of the LED bulbs in the eye brows burned out. Overall, I really like the lights, I just wish the output from the low beams was better.

After a month of having the lights I purchased a Apexcone HID kit with 6000K bulbs. Wiring was soooo easy but the H1 bulbs didn't fit quite right so I had to grind off a bit of the plastic around the bulbs to get them to fit right. Light output was a little better but I still was not happy.

So to fix the problem: a new projector housing! I got really lucky to find a pair of Acura TSX projectors on eBay that i got for $112.50 plus 9.99 shipping.

I will document my progress in this thread! Any tips, suggestions or constructive comments are welcome!

Justin

See less See more
#99 ·
UPDATE 06/13/2009

I finished the back covers today. Used scrap pieces of aluminum and JB weld to make a really sturdy cover. Painted the white aluminum black for a cleaner look. It is also water tight (Besides for the holes at the bottom; water doesn't flow upwards) and heat proof up to like 600 degrees F.

Pictures!

Bottom with hole drilled for wires.

Inside, you can see the JB weld. Wow that stuff holds. its like a solid piece metal.

Tonight I'm going to throw the lights in the car one more time to check for rotational alignment and to make sure I still have enough up and down adjustment.

If all goes well tonight I will throw my stock lights in the oven to get the front clear covers and re-seal them tomorrow.

:-D

#103 ·
The low heat makes the super strong adhesive malleable so that you can get a flat head screw driver or whatever you choose in between the front clear lens and housing to open the headlight up. Trust me, that adhesive is super sticky and will stretch beyond belief lol.

#105 ·
^lol! Most of it is still on the front lens and in the channel where the lens fits in. Its a pain to get off whatever you use to pry them open though. If I would set the lens down on something like my bed it would stick instantly to the fabric.

UPDATE 06/15/09

OK I got the rotational alignment right now. AND WOW!!!!!!!!!! The light output is amazing and the cut off is soooo sharp and colorful. Tonight I am throwing the stockers in the oven to pull of the front lens and put it on the new and improved projector headlight. WAIT TILL YOU SEE PICTURES! :-D

#109 ·
Well, Jgrove, rep to you for the awesome thread. I'm pretty much convinced that this is what I need to do with my projector headlights. I've got a set of stockers on standby, and I'll swap them out soon and get to work on the projectors!

#111 ·
Finally finished!

Alright! The pictures you have been waiting for! The finished product!

Specs
-Dual halo headlights from K2 motors
-OEM Acura TSX projectors
-6000K D2S bulbs paired with a 55W Apexcone HID kit
-OEM Ford front clear cover from my headlights
-Did not keep the LED's in the eyebrows (can add them later if I want)

Picture time!

First some front shots....

Cut off shots....

Close up cutoff shot (so you can see both cutoffs)

And a shot for the side cut off looking down a wall....

Basically, they are awesome. It is like daylight in front of me. I love it. It was worth all the custom work. I would like to thank everyone who gave me advice, tips and support!

[loveff]

#115 ·
hey man, those look great...fantastic. you should be proud of all the work you did, and the result.

now....

how much you want for em?

#124 ·
honestly tho, that is too much work for me. im too old. you had to put in a new ballast right?

i will buy some from you guys.

200 bucks if i dont need new ballasts

#126 ·
you had to put in a new ballast right?
Nope. I bought a HID kit from Revolution performance motorsports for $136 shipped with a relay harness. I installed that into original halogen projectors. The only thing I had to purchase as far as lights goes was new D2S bulbs ($45) and the converter cable ($12). i used the 55W ballasts i got from the original kit i bought.

#130 ·
Update!

Hey all! Just wanted to drop a line on this thread and say that my lights are still working perfect. They are still sealed perfectly with no condensation inside of them.

I love driving at night :-D [thumb]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.