Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2005 Dual Halo Projector Retrofit Project

29K views 160 replies 24 participants last post by  Jgrove998 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey all! Well this thread is going to be about retrofitting a better projector assembly into my black housing dual halo projector headlights I purchased from k2motors.

To start, my opinion on the headlights themselves. The fitment is perfect for my 2005 sedan. The connectors also fit perfect with no problems. It is a simple source and ground connection for the halos and 4 LED bulbs in the eyebrows. I wired them to my running lights. The low and high beams run H1 bulbs. The projector low beams are where the problem starts. The light output is decent but not what I was expecting. The cutoff is OK but not super sharp and there are the infamous flip ups on either side of the light output. High beams are very bright! The sealant of the lights seem OK but after 3 months of having them all 4 of the LED bulbs in the eye brows burned out. Overall, I really like the lights, I just wish the output from the low beams was better.

After a month of having the lights I purchased a Apexcone HID kit with 6000K bulbs. Wiring was soooo easy but the H1 bulbs didn't fit quite right so I had to grind off a bit of the plastic around the bulbs to get them to fit right. Light output was a little better but I still was not happy.

So to fix the problem: a new projector housing! I got really lucky to find a pair of Acura TSX projectors on eBay that i got for $112.50 plus 9.99 shipping.

I will document my progress in this thread! Any tips, suggestions or constructive comments are welcome!

Justin

See less See more
#69 ·
^ agreed.

New bulbs and adapter cables will be here Friday. The Retrofit Source has amazing customer service. Matt refunded me .32 cents for a miscalculation in 3 day shipping to me. Also I called them this past Sunday before memorial day and Matt returned my call! ON SUNDAY! Answered my questions and gave me advice.

#71 ·
^hahahaha. I'm not sure of all the special lighting terms.

UPDATE:
So I bought some 3.6V LED's from radio shack today and tried them out in the eyebrows. Blew them instantly. Instead of the light emitting diode it became a smoke emitting diode. haha (circuitry humor). I'm going to go with 12v rated LED's like I should of in the first place. I am going to have to modify the back cover of the headlight to fit the new bulb and adapter cable; just the plate that you remove to take the bulb out. No biggie there; I picked up some JB weld and I have some 1/8 inch thick vinyl sleeves around here that I'll use to extend the plate out while still using the same screw locations. Things are coming together nicely :-D

#73 ·
Well I guess I just wanted to find out if they would work or not. Might of been easier just to get the multi-meter out and see what voltage was coming out of the LED terminals [?|]

Got my new 6000K bulbs and adapter cables today. I will do another test by mounting both lights in the car and comparing the cutoff with no lens and with the aftermarket lens. Pictures later today :-D I might even try the "washer mod" which was mentioned before. Basically it just changes the projector lens angle to produce more blue-ish light at the cut off line. But it also takes away from the sharpness of the cutoff. You can do all sorts of colors from adding more or less washers but the more washers you add the blurrier your cut off gets.

#75 ·
For TSX projectors you put a washer between lens and the reflector at the bottom. So basically it would be the reflector assembly then the washer then the lens assembly. There is a graphic I saw which explained it, let me find it.

#86 ·
lol. I wish I could figure out this multi-quote thing. I'm pretty sure I'm getting a set of OEM headlights from a fellow member on the forum. I've been a little busy so I haven't yet had a chance to modify the back cover plate to fit over the new D2S bulb and adapter cable.

Last Friday i threw both headlights in the car with my new D2S bulbs. I have no problems adjusting the headlights. I did not get any pics, sorry :-D but let me say they turned out perfect with the light throw.

So basically I need to get the front clear covers, finish modifying the back plates, get replacement 12V LED's and reseal the lights and im done!

Thanks to slowduratec who showed the pics of the washer mod for the TSX projectors. It all has to do with the way the light is reflected through the projector lens. However you do loose a little sharpness to the cutoff. You can add more washers for different colors too; more washers = less sharpness on cutoff. Plus I've got my projector housings sitting where I want them and do not want to remove them to do that mod.

#87 ·
to do multi-quote, you click that button on each post you wish to quote...they 'light up.'
then, go over to 'post reply' on the left. it will then let you quote them all.

#89 ·
Update 06/07/2009

Ok today I started extending the back cover to the projectors to fit over the new bulbs and converter cable. Things are coming together slowly because I keep test fitting to make sure its right. I'm going to throw both headlights in the car tonight without the front clear covers and get a shot of the cutoff for everyone. And I think I'm going to tear apart my OEM headlights to get the clear covers from them (need to save money) :-D

#92 · (Edited)
2nd Update for 06/07/2009

Damn, threw the headlights in without the front covers on and man im impressed.

I need to rotate the passenger projector clockwise about 5 degrees cause its a little off.

but enough talk time for pictures! AND the pictures dont even do the headlights justice, they look so badass!

General cutoff picture.
*Lost picture; will try and find them again.*

A rear view of the light spread, its actual wider but the camera didnt pick it up.

From the side so you can see the distance I was from the other side of the road.

Camera glare FTL!!!!

MORE CAMERA GLARE! The lights are crisp circles in person, no glare at all!!!!!

And this is from the drivers seat, as i said, the camera didnt do it justice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.