Focus Fanatics Forum banner

My '12 SE Picture/Project Thread

455K views 1K replies 183 participants last post by  Twenty 
#1 ·
Rather than continually update what was my introductory post, I figured I'd better start off an 'official' thread for updates regarding my Focus, as a single place to post news, modifications, or just pictures in general.

This is the car; a 2012 SE sedan, with Sport and Winter packages. I brought it home on September 23, after being lucky enough to find it at the dealership I work at.

The whole point was to have a safe, reliable daily driver, but I wanted something fun that stood out. Yellow Blaze and a 5-speed took care of that. [giddy]

As my signature says, this car is really just a mini-project, so I'll try to control myself and keep it relatively simple, but I'm still going to make some adjustments here and there to make it my own.

[wrenchin]

See less See more
#144 ·
Hey Twenty thanks for your thread. Just wandering what if any performance mods will you do?
Thanks you two!

As far as performance parts, I don't know. One reason for opting to go with a new car was to have warranties, so I need to be mindful of those. I do want to do something, but I suppose I'll have to keep waiting for more to come out so that I can see what I can get away with.

Stepping up to 235s (from 215s) is a start I guess, but hopefully won't be the end.

#143 ·
Hey Twenty thanks for your thread. Just wandering what if any performance mods will you do?

#145 ·
That (warranty) is my concern too. There seems to be a consensus that if your mod is shown to have caused the problem it won't be covered. This I think would mean it's up to Ford service departments to decide. [:(]
I asked my dealer about Ford Racing parts and he thought they would even cause warranty problems.
Maybe it's safe to do an intake (K&N) but keep the ability to return to stock?
Sorry to jump in on your thread with this. [headbang]

#146 ·
I have been toying with the idea of the K&N intake, at the very least the Focus will ultimately see the K&N drop-in filter at some point.

The Steeda rear sway bar is definitely a possibility though, I've heard great things about it.

I'm sure I could get away with some light modifications in the drivetrain/chassis departments but don't want to push my luck.

#149 ·
[cheers]

I'm still getting lots of surprised reactions to the fact that Volvo wheels fit.

I think I'm just procrastinating and trying to find a reason for not doing performance mods.

In relation to our mirrors I honsetly couldn't tell you. The ones listed on Tousley and their part diagram seems identical to our AUS ones. I'll see if I can find a part number for mine. By the way I swapped my puddle bulbs for LED.
Euro mirrors would be cool, if a (likely) pricey and time-consuming swap. I do see some more parts I wouldn't mind, too.

I'll also throw this here just 'cause I like my wheels so much. Today marks 8 months with the Focus. [wiggle]

#148 ·
I think I'm just procrastinating and trying to find a reason for not doing performance mods.

In relation to our mirrors I honsetly couldn't tell you. The ones listed on Tousley and their part diagram seems identical to our AUS ones. I'll see if I can find a part number for mine. By the way I swapped my puddle bulbs for LED.

#151 ·
Thanks! I can't stop looking at them myself. [wiggle]

Pictures:

This weekend I gave the Focus a mini exterior detail, including a fresh coat of wax. Following a small car club meet today, I took advantage of the nice weather to just drive for the sake of driving, and headed out into the back roads not far from my house. I kept an eye out for a potential spot for pictures and came across an empty lot which did the trick.

As always, photos are unedited straight from my camera (code for they're not 100% [shhh])

#155 · (Edited)
New lens = more pictures

Yeah, I've been taking lots lately. With a new lens added to my kit today I took some more to try it out. Of course the Focus was the subject, what else would be? [hihi]

I'll throw in one "update" though, I picked up my new plate frame this week to match the one on my Grand Prix. Carbon fiber with a teal decal (the GP has white).

#156 ·
I'm not one to normally say this, but I would really like to see the yellow spill into some more of the interior...

I know you are still feeling it out and don't want to go overboard, just throwing you my .02. I like how you've made it yours yet thrown in subtle but noticeable changes!

I give you this - [thumb]

#159 ·
Cheers! The yellow will become permanent either when I can track down some Yellow Blaze spray paint, or have more parts to send to the body shop. 'til then though, the vinyl stays. As always, I'm still looking for more to change too.

Twenty,
I am loving your approach to detailing your car. Subtle and tasteful. I've never been much of a car guy but reading this thread is inspiring me! Can't wait to get my own (new) car and do some easy mods like this. Keep it up!
[hihi]
Thank you! Working on a new car is definitely more fun, with everything clean and in good nick.

would look ah-mazing with a drop
It would, yes. Why stock height? Because warranty. I have another car which has long been without warranties, so I'm free to do what I want. The Focus, I still need to exercise restraint. [paranoid]

Looking ahead, there is a big show & shine in exactly two months. Last year I unfortunately had to miss it due to my being out of town at the time, but not this year! I plan for both vehicles to be there, so hopefully I can keep progress going between now and then.

#160 ·
Bad news:

Last week I curbed a wheel while picking up dinner. First time doing so, and it was after the R wheels had only been on for a month. Sigh. Today I dropped it off to be repaired and hopefully I can have it back this week. For the time being the Focus is sitting in the garage on three Rs and one stock wheel, and the Grand Prix is back to temporary DD duties.

Good news:

I have just ordered a couple of new parts for the Focus. One is a Steeda rear sway bar, and one is carbon fiber. I hate to be a tease, but I don't want to say what it is just yet. [hihi]

#162 ·
warranty shmorranty. they cant void it if you dont break the car [limp]

#164 ·
The weather was beautiful tonight so I gave the Focus a quick bath and then headed out to a couple of local meets.

I happened across a YB hatch, and someone with the same wheels as me. [hihi]

Good weather, good cars, good company.

#165 ·
My Steeda rear sway bar has arrived! I was emailed today by the shop owner saying it had shown up (sooner than planned too!). Come Friday I'll head over and pick it up. [clap]

#166 ·
My Steeda rear sway bar has arrived! I was emailed today by the shop owner saying it had shown up (sooner than planned too!). Come Friday I'll head over and pick it up. [clap]
[clap] Let us know how it goes! Btw, this thread is fantastic, thanks for all the great pictures too.

...and my roommates think I have a problem because I want to detail my car weekly. Psh.

#168 ·
Steeda rear sway bar, part I:

It's Friday! That means I have the day off work and therefore had the chance to pick up my new sway bar.

At a major car show last month I was able to meet the owner of a local shop that carries parts for the 2012 Focus, and placed an order through them shortly after for the Steeda rear sway bar.

Included is the bar, brackets, bushings, grease, and a one-page instruction sheet. A quick read-through and it all looks very simple.

The install is waiting for now, as I got caught in a HEAVY rainstorm while coming home. On the plus side, the undercarriage got a good wash, but I think I'll let it dry out before I crawl under the car. [hihi]

#169 ·
Good news; I just received an email stating that my carbon fiber piece is out of the body shop and will be shipped Monday morning. [clap]

August 5th is my deadline for this next batch of updates, hopefully it doesn't get tied up in shipping.

#170 ·
So, today I crawled under the Focus to get to work swapping out the rear sway bar.

And that's what it still looks like now. Yes, that's the stock bar. Yes, the Steeda piece is back in its box. No matter what, I could not get the sway bar free from the end links. It simply would not come out, so I put the bolts back in place and will need to take the Steeda bar with me to work and borrow a hoist.

Sigh.

#171 ·
Steeda rear sway bar, part II:

I apologize for the picture quality. A couple were taken quickly with my phone (I wasn't going to bring my real camera to work) and the others were taken while I was laying on the ground trying to see what I was shooting at. [hihi]

Today I brought the bar to work and at the start of my lunch break grabbed a free hoist and put the Focus up in the air. A co-worker of mine helped out too, and together we had the new Steeda bar in by the end of lunch.

The swap is simple enough, but the bars put up a fight with the endlinks. It was challenging to remove the old one and wrestle the new one on, as it took both of us applying force to finally do so.

The bushings were well greased to prevent squeaking, and then everything was tightened down.

So far my only test of the bar was driving home from work, but even during the normal commute the Focus seems to be improved. I don't know how much of that was real and how much was imagined, but it does seem to turn in sharper now.

#172 ·
Good job on the install of the RSB, I have had mine since last year and love it [thumb]

Good photos as well

#173 ·
[thumb]

My father and I took it for a quick round of the neighbourhood tonight, after I posted that. We weren't doing anything crazy, but driving around there does seem to be a definite improvement in the Focus' handling. This is one tight little car.

#175 ·
Thanks Newkleus!

I want Ti headlights but they come in at almost $600 for a pair. Yikes. Maybe someday, but for now I'll put that money towards other items.

Tint is off the list though, it's not for me. Tinting front windows at all is illegal here too and I don't want darker rear windows than front.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.