Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Great deal on wheels/snow tires

7K views 37 replies 17 participants last post by  cacophonous 
#1 · (Edited)
Sable wheels/snow tires

I was able to find 15" Mercury Sable rims on Craigslist for $50.00. I could have gotten them for free but I screwed up by looking too late. They listed back in November but I started looking in December.

Turns out the guy emailed me back saying he basically gave the rims to a Discount tire store near my work. They still had them but wanted 100.00 for the set of 4. I talked them down to 50.00 and picked them up today.

Costco had a coupon deal for 100.00 off Bridgestone tires but it expired on Dec 18th.

However the store said they would honor the price if they had them in stock. So I went there today and had them mount 195-65-15's Blizzak W70s on the rims. Total out the door price was 371.00 which includes: nitrogen, life time rotations/balance and road hazard warranty.

Total cost for rims and snow tires 431.00

Not my favorite looking rim but for cheap winter rims they will do. This way my Black machined 17s stay out of salt for the winter and I have better traction.

Should I leave the caps off?

A machinist at work said bring one in and he would see what he can make me but I doubt he can after seening them off.

See less See more
#3 ·
kinda reminds me of the mercury topaz fender with name on it that was in my 90 tempo..BUT not in the broke down car with multiple color body parts, kind of way...I will be on the look out for ya, as that will be one unique combo...good find!

#6 ·
I didn't have them mount on car yet. Going to have it done next week on a nice day so I can wash/dry my 17"s before storing them.

There are a few threads here on the TPMS and it sounds like a small piece of black tape is all you need.

#7 ·
The rims are off a Mercury Sable. Maybe a centre cap from a Taurus between 1996 and 1999 might work - some of the rims were the same between the two makes just with different Ford/Mercury badging.

As for TPMS, I bit the bullet and had them put in. The upfront cost is a pain, but spread out over a few years isn't so bad.

#9 ·
How does the hub bore fit, tight? Also how is the offset compared to the factory wheels? From the pic above it looks like they fit good.

I have a line on a set of 2003 Sable rims, so want to make sure you are happy with the fitment of yours.

#11 ·
Well my buddy worked on the center caps. He removed the mercury symbol and made aluminum inserts painted silver. He glued them in place but when I went to install them the insert popped out. I thought the glue was not holding well so I tri-bolted each one in place with SS button head screws last night:

So this AM I tried to install them I figured out what caused the blank to pop out! My gorilla wheel locks stick out too far for the cap to seat.

So....

I either leave them off or take the locks off. I suppose I will take the locks off. I doubt anyone would waste their time stealing 96 Sable rims.

#12 ·
So....

I either leave them off or take the locks off. I suppose I will take the locks off. I doubt anyone would waste their time stealing 96 Sable rims.
Yeah, I used to use wheel locks, and I found them to be more of a PITA than anything else. The average thief is probably not going to recognize the true value of the snow tires you have mounted, and not knocking them (its a great idea for a winter package!!) but the wheels are probably not going to attract the average thief either.

That being said, a DUMBER thief might think you have super expensive aftermarket wheels and go for it, but I'd think you have to be in the D for that...

#14 ·
Got some nice "Blingy" wheels there. they look better then just plain black steel (prob what ill end up with) I wonder if the 94-04 Mustang wheels will fit a Focus. the tri-bar 15's might look nice on one.

#15 ·
I was able to find 15" Mercury Sable rims on Craigslist for $50.00. I could have gotten them for free but I screwed up by looking too late. They listed back in November but I started looking in December.

Turns out the guy emailed me back saying he basically gave the rims to a Discount tire store near my work. They still had them but wanted 100.00 for the set of 4. I talked them down to 50.00 and picked them up today.

Costco had a coupon deal for 100.00 off Bridgestone tires but it expired on Dec 18th.

However the store said they would honor the price if they had them in stock. So I went there today and had them mount 195-65-15's Blizzak W70s on the rims. Total out the door price was 371.00 which includes: nitrogen, life time rotations/balance and road hazard warranty.

Total cost for rims and snow tires 431.00

Not my favorite looking rim but for cheap winter rims they will do. This way my Black machined 17s stay out of salt for the winter and I have better traction.

Should I leave the caps off?

A machinist at work said bring one in and he would see what he can make me but I doubt he can after seening them off.
nice rims....and a good deal.....

#17 ·
cacophonous was kind enough to post them in this thread HERE

16" = 215/55R16

If you are putting aesthetics on the backburner you could purchase new 15 or 16" steelies for about 50.00 each at Discount Tire or Tire Rack.

Also if you are purchasing used rims you will want to make sure the bolt pattern is: 5-108mm

Here is a list of vehicles that have rims with that bolt pattern. The offset may be slight different but should work fine:

Ford
Taurus/Sable 91-07
Thunderbird 89-04
Windstar 95-04

Jaguar
S-Type 99-03
X-Type 01-03

Lincoln
Continental 88-94, 95-03
LS6 00-03
Mark VII 93-00

Mercury
Cougar 89-98
Sable 86-05

Volvo
240 76-93
740 83-98
850 94-00
940 91-98
960 94-00
C70 98-00
60 Series 00-03
70 Series 98-03
90 Series 98-00
XC90 03

#23 ·
I'll only be using them in the winter in Wisco. I think they'll be fine.

EDIT: Strangely enough, I've seen 2 cars with these hubcaps this week! An older VW Beetle as well as a minivan. Weird...

PS: I'm only like... 13 miles from Wadsworth, IL right now. [:p]

#28 ·
Plasti-Dip Time

Decided to Plasti-Dip these ugly rims with flat black.

Before:

Prep with tape:

After two coats:

Final with center caps sitting next to car:

Final without center caps sitting next to car:

I think I will roll without center caps. Should looke better with the chrome lug nuts showing and the dished in area.

I think with the center caps it looks too much like a sun design.

Thoughts?

#30 ·
I think I will roll without center caps. Should looke better with the chrome lug nuts showing and the dished in area.

I think with the center caps it looks too much like a sun design.

Thoughts?
I personally completely agree. Looks much, much better without the center caps in my opinion.

#37 ·
Now that I've had a decent taste of winter driving in this car I'm considering a set of Blizzaks. How well are they working for you?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.