Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Auto x Helmets

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  WD40 
#1 ·
What types of helmets are required for Auto X driving? I'm sure DOt approved but can motorcycle helmets be used or do you need a race specific helmet only to participate. And how about someone who is starting out and not a profeesional competitor.

#4 ·
Correct.

Your best bet is to go with an SA helmet. If you go the M (Motorcycle) route, most big tracks will not allow you to use it. The bigest reasons are construction and the inclusion of Nomex (fireproof material).

The G-force helmet that eventerke showed is good for AX. However, for road course, I would recommend a full face with a collar.

Even in AX, the collar is useful ($25 from Simpson) as it takes the weight of the helmet off of your neck and your head doesn't wobble all over during hard cornering.

I use the new Bell M4. I am a die hard Bell customer and always will be.

I love their slogan. "Got a $10 head? Then buy a $10 helmet..."

The great irony is that Bell is a subsidiary of the American Casket Corporation...[shhh]

The biggest thing about choosing a helmet is fit. It should be comfortable and squeeze your cheeks (full face) some. All helmets fit differently, so it is important for you to try them on before purchasing.

Good luck !!

#5 ·
I use a M helmet for Auto-X and for driving on the Ring. When I can finally save up enough I will have a FIA spec helmet but will cost me about $1000 :(

#6 ·
Are you going with an Arai?

Helmets can get pretty expensive. One thing to look for on your FIA Spec is whether the helmet is designed for open cockpit use. If so, then your cost will go close to $1000. There are other FIA approved helmets that run in the $600 - $700 range.

#7 ·
No Sparco is what I am looking at. Here FIA is the standard used for motorsports. Helmets are much more than in the US. Same with the HANS Device, they begin about $2000 here.

#8 ·
*low whistle*

That is steep.

Just for reference, I have a buddy of mine looking into it, but at one time, Arai made the helmets for SPARCO.

Not sure if that's true anymore, but he is going to get back to me. If it is the case, might be able to save a few bucks.

FYI - I love the Clio. That is a fun car to drive.

#9 ·
With 175/65/14 on it it really takes the curves well. You can really push it without things getting complicated quickly.

#10 ·
Calm down people he is only asking about helmets for autocross.

For Solo the SCCA requires helmets with a Snell rating, either M, SA or K. The most common brand you will find worn by competitors at the SCCA Solo Nationals is HJC. You can find them at most motorcycle shops where you will be able to try them on (very important). Whichever Helmet you buy make sure it has the Snell sticker inside the helmet. It will not pass tech inspection otherwise.

I have a Bell and an HJC and I find I am using the HJC in more events because it is just more comfortable.

Good luck.

#11 ·
I heard HJCs are a little on the heavy side but I never wore one personally, so yeah... I wanted to get one but ended up with a full face Gmax M2005 helmet for like $80. It came with a regular and tinted visor along with a bag for the helmet and a bag for the separate visor. Love it.

#12 ·
^^^I have 2 HJC helmets. One full face, and one open face.
They don't seem any heavier than anything else I've ever worn...
for an under $100 Snell (M) approved helmet that is. [;)]
Curiously enough, the full face gives me about 1/2" more head clearance, which is at a premium in the SVT with a moonroof.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.