Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Fun with PlastiDip!

2M views 3K replies 351 participants last post by  RonMaiden 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well I got off my lazy butt and hit up the Lowes and got a rattle can of Plastidip and did some car modding today.

Anyone else had some fun with Plastidip? Post up some pics!

I know Pattacular has some pics [popcorn]

Temp usage. -30 - 200

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/fil...6techsheet.pdf

See less See more
#2,170 ·
How thin are you guys doing the coats then?

I typically do about 4 thin coats when trying to do my spoiler, but it ALWAYS comes out rough. And both times I've done it at night, so no sunlight. It feels sort of like sandpaper when I'm done.

To get an idea of how thin my coats are, I usually can't see any more silver after the third coat. Second coat covers most of it but there's still just a bit showing through.

Also, interestingly enough, the smaller area of my spoiler (the bottom, where it sticks out from the window a bit) always ends up smooth, but the top, larger area always comes out rough.

#2,171 ·
Hmm when u coat anything start off with a thin coat but on ur 2nd and 3rd coat u should start covering it a lil thicker by the 4th and 5th coat u should be pretty much covering what ever ur spraying.. and add a couple extra coats for extra thickness.. And I've only had plasti dip come out rough once and it was because I tried doing it in direct sunlight lol..

#2,175 ·
If you have issues with it not coming off easily, you can always spray it with a label remover. I used the Turtle Wax brand when I took it off my wheels last (where it was thin and wouldn't pull nicely). It basically melts the plasti-dip.

Messy, very messy. Effective, very effective.

#2,181 ·
I doubt it. I used brush-on acrylic paint when I did my wheels. It worked fine and came off easily. No evidence of the dip or paint anywhere. Some brake dust though...[:(!]

#2,183 ·
Mask off your non-dipped areas and you'll be cool. If you don't like it, you pull it off and all is good. For about two hours I had 3 different colored wheels to test concepts...

#2,187 ·
OK, I am still failing miserably with the cans...the part is fine, there's no major imperfections on it, I'm mostly certain it's my technique. The bottom area of the spoiler (that is small) always comes out smooth, along with a few other small areas. But the top (largest) area always comes out rough.

So I'm looking to just do this with a compressor and spray gun. Will this stuff work with any sprayer? I'm going to get a gallon plus the thinner. Not sure if you need special parts since this isn't exactly paint.

#2,190 ·
i used about 3 cans on my wheels. got the overspray on my tires too and its hell to get off and collects dirt like a swiffer. i'm definetly masking off before i do it again. prob painting mine glossy black.

#2,193 ·
If you're just using the dip, you don't actually need to mask off anything unless you don't want the dip on it. The dip that gets on the tires will pull off and separate from the dip on the rims easily.

Edit: I would consider covering the tire to minimize the amount of dip that gets on them, though. And make sure you try to avoid getting any on the area where the lug mounts the wheel. Inside the lug nut area is fine, but in between the lug and rim will give you false torque readings and will eventually work itself out of the mating surface causing your wheels to be under-torqued.

#2,197 ·
If you are doing the whole wheel and not masking, use 3x5 index cards and put them in between the wheel and tire on end. Or I like the silver lip, so I used 1/2" green painters tape to mask the lip and 2" blue tape and masked half way up the tire sidewall. Easy as pie!!

Headlight brow:

#2,198 ·
Looks good man.

Now ive Used index cards before. I don't recommend them as it does keep the tires covered .. But If u are spraying the whole rim, lip and all if u have index cards going all around the rim and tire it doesn't seem to cover the top of the wheel lip as well. So once u are done and u go to put the rims on. U can see the old color of the rim on the very top of the lip.. Now I have taken three index cards and taped them together and just held it while spraying the edge and I just slowly move around the rim. But i still find that coating the tires and just wiping the excess over spray off the tires the easiest way..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.