Focus Fanatics Forum banner

MK3 (2013) DCT @ dealer for repair

20K views 139 replies 33 participants last post by  mysticreach 
#1 ·
Hey guys. I made an appointment to get my oil changed for the first time (3,500 miles; bought new on 12/15/12) and decided to not tell them my issues until I got there. I explained that my car has been jerking/lunging on low speeds (starting), not shifting smootly, and vibration in the wheel and pedals (I confirmed this while driving the loaner 2012 Focus SEL with 23,500 miles - it performed closer to my 13' when it was new. He said it's likely that they will have to remove the transmission and test/inspect the it/the car. He said they may need to replace the "dual clutch system", and may need to hold the car until Tuesday.

A couple of weeks ago I spoke to my Ford Regional Customer Service person after Cory (FF) suggested I tell them about my other issue (which turned out to be normal operation) , and mentioned that I had read that many of the 2012's had issues with the clutch (oil leaking, etc) and they had to be replaced with allegedly "better" replacement parts, and I wondered if the 2013's could already have that problem. He said that if Ford knew that a replacement part was better, then (we assume) they would use it to begin with, especially the newer builds. I didn't worry about it until today, when I drove and really felt the difference between my car and the loaner. There is definately something weird going on with it. I can only hope the issue isn't too bad and that they can replace/repair the issue.

I'm looking forward to the responses/insights on this. Thanks.
I already miss my car [mecry][bigcry]

See less See more
#67 ·
I have the extended warranty and I know at my power level the clutches are getting smoked at times so I am going to wait as long as I can and see how bad it gets. It is not the transmission mechanics or the clutches that are bad per-se, but the programming of the transmission shifts.

Ford needs to fire that idiot engineer who came up with that whole "torque hole filling" technique and let these transmissions shift like the automated manual transmissions they are. If people do not like a manual-like shift, then offer a regular automatic for those [:)][:)][:)][:)]ies who like a slush-box (though many new autos shift nice and firm which is good).

#68 ·
The biggest issue has been Ford's response to the issue, lying about it being normal, not putting manpower into FIXING it, two years later and the issue is still prevalent. Whatever good reputation they've built has been completely and utterly destroyed.

All they've done is give us the middle finger in regards to repairing our broken vehicles.

#69 ·
Right?

If this PCM/TCM software were open source, you known damn well that it'd be fixed by now... and it would also be able to start in second gear to reduce wheel spin... and you could customize the shift harshness... no shudder from a start without needing to disable TC, and it'd have a pretty GUI.

(Assuming the issues are non-mechanical, of course.)

#72 ·
Yes I agree with that.. at least they are trying.
But it would have been nice to get things right the first time.
Ford tried to cut corners and now they are paying for it.

#73 ·
I wouldn't really call it cutting corners, more like a real world beta test...

Some cars have zero issues. Some have a great transmission but have other issues. Some people have cars shutting down while traveling steady-state on the interstate.

I understand integrating new (to Ford) technology into vehicles and having a learning curve. I honestly think that a few issues are on the customer side for many (not all) Americans not understanding how a DCT will shift. But I think that that is a very, very tiny fraction of the population. I think that the majority of those complaining are experiencing real-world issues.

It's ok to be angry and/or frustrated. Welcome to the club, we get new members daily.
[welcome]

#74 ·
I know my vehicle shifted a LOT better before the march2012 PCM software update. I know they were trying to satisfy customers who complained that it "didn't feel like a traditional automatic transmission" but ITS NOT a traditional automatic and they should have said THEN that "everything is normal get used to it". Rather than trying to make this transmission do something it's not designed to do.

It needs quick engagement, it needs firm shifting, it needs to be shifted like a manual transmission, it should FEEL LIKE a manual transmission, IT IS a manual transmission! Making it feel slushy by slipping the clutch is just going to burn the thing up.

Anyone know if it's possible to get a rollback on the pcm software? Or will ford tell you some garbage like "that'll void your warranty"

Waiting for the day when someone finally cracks the software on this thing and we can get some 3rd party tuning for it.

#77 ·
I repeat: 3 trips to dealership now.
1: engine failure while driving.
2: severe acceleration shuddering.
3: sever clutch grinding.
It's really sad to say but I kind of want my car to be a lemon. This is not fair to have to put up with this crap when buying a brand new car. It still only has 4,500 miles!!!

Maybe the manual tranny is fine, but I still had an engine failure!

How can I trust Ford after this? How can anyone?
I'm thinking Subaru right now...

#79 ·
engine failure? complete engine failure? how'd that happen?

There are far more people having no issues than there are having them. People having no issues are not going to post that they are happy. This is basic human nature. Happy equals quiet and unhappy equals noisy.
If more idiots here understood this, this forum would be a better place, instead of hearing "All of these cars are POS!"

#78 ·
There are far more people having no issues than there are having them. People having no issues are not going to post that they are happy. This is basic human nature. Happy equals quiet and unhappy equals noisy.

It sucks being one of the ones having an issue but I promise you will find similar stories on forums for just about any vehicle. This includes Subaru.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

#81 ·
If more idiots here understood this, this forum would be a better place, instead of hearing "All of these cars are POS!"
You just made me /sadface a little, normally we have pretty civil threads here.

That said there's probably a couple hundred people using this site that DO have legitimate problems with their cars, mostly transmission problems. Even the reviews when the car was BRAND NEW gave it low marks on the transmission due to malfunctions or poor shift quality, hence the TSB to reprogram it <ford basically admitting it was a pos and needed a fix> same with the MFT.

Unfortunately we don't have access to ford corporates statistics on vehicle problems, would be VERY INTERESTING INDEED to see what percentage of these 2012-13 Focus' are being sent back to dealership for problems, just my speculation but guessing it's higher than any other vehicle by any other manufacturer, PURE speculation tho.

Still too early to tell how widespread the problems are, probably gonna take another 5 years to tell, get some mileage on these vehicles and find out how long the parts in it really do last once their powertrain warranty has run out.

#83 ·
Plus all these complaints wouldn't exist if Ford would just FIX THE CAR! Unfortunately they don't know how at this moment so we're stuck driving broken vehicles that we paid 20k for...

This is what most people are pissed about. Defects happen, you take it to the dealer, they repair and send you on your merry way, it's a slight inconvenience but it happens. We're being sent home with vehicles that still don't work properly and being told to our faces "it's functioning normally" or "we can't fix it Ford doesn't know how"

I think many people don't understand fully how the Ford service/repair system works tho, a dealership will diagnose the problem (they're not reimbursed for diagnosis hours spent btw) then they hop on the computer and log into the Corporate Ford website for repairs through this program i THINK is called "Oasis" and they post the problem the customer is having and ask what repair ford would recommend. Many times the issue will have an immediate response from ford engineering because it's problem is already logged in the database with a specific corrective action to be taken. Otherwise they wait up to 5 days for an email back telling them what to do to fix the issue.

Now here's the tricky part, the repair shop has to follow the repair procedure EXACTLY AS IT SAYS and they will only be reimbursed for parts listed in that repair. They cannot simply "try to fix it themselves" or they WILL NOT be paid by Ford for the work they did. In the case of the transmissions they've been told by Corporate to do things such as flash the PCM, replace clutches on some, and MOST have been told to tell the customer "it's normal, live with it" and print out the powershift information paper and give to the customer which was basically this huge disclaimer saying that shudder, miss-shifts, noise, mechanical malfunction were all NORMAL (in sheisty legal speek). Then sending the customer out the door without anything actually being FIXED!

Fastforward 2 years and you have a LOT of pissed off customers who bought cars that ford refuses to fix. There's literally threads 100's of pages long with people driving vehicles that have been multiple times to the dealership and STILL aren't fixed.

This doesn't make them "idiots" just "pissed off customers" and this forums is a great place for them to come to vent out their anger against a company that's mistreating them.

#85 ·
This story is from October 2011, somewhat dated but in a few 2012 models I rented I experienced this immediately. I have to admit to me Ford made some improvements, because my car doesn't feel anything like the 2012 models I drove, at least not yet. Though both rental cars were quite new, one had less than 2K on the odometer.

"Especially at lower speeds in parking-lot areas, it's a very jerky transmission,"� said David Champion, the senior director of Consumer Reports' auto test center. "It was very difficult to get a smooth drive-away."

http://www.leftlanenews.com/powersh...d-in-consumer-reports-reliability-survey.html

Although it's debatable in this day and age, I held off the first model year to see if they got the kinks out, I read that Getrag produced 1 Million DCT250 transmissions this past October now in three locations worldwide. I just wonder if the Italian produced DCTs are any better than the Mexio produced ones in the NAFTA zone? I also read a lot of negative press on the Dodge Dart DCT, which some are saying falls back on Dodge's new owners FIAT "Fix It Again Tony" saying.

#87 ·
I did not post to downplay any issues some people here are experiencing. My point was to make it clear that the majority of people are not having these problems. If it were that widespread if an issue, the entire world would already know about it.

I would probably be posting myself if I had issues. However, I would maintain rationality and hope that my dealership responds appropriately. The dealer response is typically a bigger issue than any repairs I have ever had in the past. Problems do happen and unfortunately, once touched, the problem tends to get worse with each person who touches it.

As I said, all manufacturers have problems. Some more than others. I am confident that Ford is doing what they feel is best to deal with these DCT issues. It must be difficult to manage real vs imagined issues with something many users do not understand. I am surprised how much this DCT behaves like a typical manual transmission. This behavior would seem odd to many who have no experience driving a manual. This would make it more difficult to diagnose a real problem. From a support standpoint, documenting the events and operating environment is key to a proper diagnosis.

Also, predictions of doom are seldom accurate.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

#88 ·
A friend of mine works for the parts department at a Mercedes Benz dealership. He told me that even Benz's models' parts go through several revisions because the German mindset is to "over engineer" or to always try and improve their parts and cars. Therefore, he said, I should not be discouraged by what is happening to my car because all manufacturers have problems with new vehicle models or parts, even really expensive cars like Benz's. He also said that Mercedes Benz and Ford are the first two car manufacturer to exist (Ford was the first production manufacter). Because of this, he said, I should trust Ford more than the general public do at this point (apparently a lot of people think Ford is unreliable.) He also said that Ford's mindset is simplicity, unlike their German brothers - that Ford likes to rebuild/replace parts that fail instead of coming up with new designs or overengineering like the Germans do.
In any case, he said I should not be discouraged, that it will be okay. Worst case scenario would be a lemon in which case I would just get a replacement vehicle.
On that note, my friend said that the reason there is not a recall yet is because not enough people have had this problem. Once Ford this enough people have had the same problems they will do a recall, until then they will fix/rebuild/replace parts with updated parts.

Anyways... I'm waiting to hear what the tech's tell me about my engine failure/shutdown I had in 1st month of ownership. I'm also waiting on the clutch system parts (clutch+seals) to come in. I'm in contact also with my Regional Ford Customer Service Representative who said he can actually help my dealership recieve the parts faster by expediting them or some other means.

I can't wait to get Shadowfax back!!!

#90 ·
Hi everyone,

Thank you to those of you who have reached out to me already. As a reminder to those of you who are currently experiencing any physical concern with your vehicle, I am here to help by getting your cases documented and into the hands of your regional customer service managers. To proceed, send me a private message (PM) with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name.

Thanks!

Crystal

#94 ·
I dropped my 2012 off at the dealer for misc. warranty work this evening. I brought up my transmission issues and also asked to see the work history on it. It had the transmission reflash the day I bought it in early Feb and thats the extent of the history from the dealers standpoint.

In any event, they gave me a Fiesta as a loaner. Transmission is perfect in it. It shifts exactly like a manual with no shudder and no slipping between gears. I did notice that its shift points, even under light throttle, were allowing the engine to rev a bit higher. It was not "short shifting" like my Focus does trying to get into the highest gear as fast as possible. I know I know, apples and oranges. But if they can get it right with the Fiesta, why not the Focus?

#96 ·
I stopped by the dealer this morning and they immediately told me this is "normal for that type of car", I was then handed a 2 page information sheet which details the characteristics of the Powershift Transmission. Noise, Break-in Period and etc. The technician supposedly test drove the car and stated that it's acting "normal", I was sent off on my way with the paperwork stating this. No re-flash because I was told this will make the noise more apparent since the tranny is adapting to my driving style and will have to "re-learn" again if so. This is all detailed in the paperwork.

When I left, it sounded and acted no different. So no improvements yet, was told to be patient and let it break in to at least 1K miles, I am just over 500 currently.

I think that Ford should clearly define to customers in their brochures the nature of a Powershift tranny and how it differs, but then I thought to myself I rented a Fiesta a few months ago that did not behave like my car. Told the dealer this as well. Maybe it was broken in? I can't say for sure, it was a rental with some miles on the odometer, maybe I need to be patient afterall? Time will tell.

#109 ·
I responded to you, the short answer is yes sounds like mine.

I am also going to record mine with video this weekend sometime. Today when I left work a few of my co-workers were outside talking and when I drove by them, the grinding caused them all to turn their heads. If I can hear it in the cabin with the A/C on medium, it's obviously very loud outside. It sounds sick, and not sick in the good tuned exhaust note way. You know how it is, did you ever see a car going down the road dragging it's muffler?

I don't buy it's "normal", auto makers go through great lengths to to make the acoustics of a vehicle clean with cabin noise reduction, laminated glass and etc and saying that to customers just defies logic.

#98 ·
Still waiting on my parts... still haven't heard about what my shutdown might have been... I've had the car in the shop since Monday and i'm paying $15 a day for a loaner vehicle. I have the basic warranty, which they say does not include loaner vehicles. Is it really fair to make pay $15 a day even though it's Ford's fault the car needs repairs? I'm already paying for my car, and now they want me to pay for the damn loaner vehicle, which is the basic basic 2012 focus.. not even close to my focus.
So far I have to pay $60 because Ford had defective parts?

Can I please get some insight on this from Ford CSR or anyone else on FF?

I need to go on a road trip on Friday and I don't think its fair that I have to drive a much lesser focus than mine (it does not have the side-mirror turn signals like mine, which makes me feel much less safe. also it is not powershift like mine.). Would it be reasonable to ask for a better/newer loaner (closer to my vehicle) especially because i'm paying for it?

#100 ·
That just plain sucks...when Volkswagen had my car for 2 months waiting for a part, they provided me with a Passat which was a step above the Jetta that was in for service and it was a "courtesy car" no rental or cost to me. Another VW dealer though used Enterprise which had crap rental cars at the time...but covered the cost if the work was under warranty. I do not see why the 5/60 does not permit this for you?

I would not be a happy camper in your case...

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

#104 ·
look: http://www.ford.com/cars/focus/2013/warranty/new-vehicle/
"Ford and your dealer are not responsible for any time or income that you lose, any inconvenience you might be caused, the loss of your transportation or use of your vehicle, the cost of rental vehicles, fuel, telephone, travel, meals, or lodging, the loss of personal or commercial property, the loss of revenue, or for any other incidental or consequential damages you may have."
"Ford shall not be liable for any damages caused by delay in delivery or furnishing of any products and/or services."
"Nothing in this warranty should be construed as requiring defective parts to be replaced with parts of a different type or design than the original part, so long as the vehicle functions properly with the replacement part. Moreover, Ford and its authorized dealers are entitled to a reasonable time and a reasonable number of attempts within which to diagnose and repair any defect covered by this warranty.
In certain instances, Ford may authorize repairs at other than Ford dealer facilities."

So are they going to replace my seals and clutches with the same exact ones??? It says it right there^. What are the chances they will be defective again? (pretty good chances imo)
All of that is very... disheartening. I really should have read the warranty more closely when I was buying. I'm starting to thing that an extended warranty on this vehicle is necessary.

And yes, Praton, it's good they didn't dismiss my claim/say it's normal. You would expect them not to. However, the fact that I'm already paying for my car and all of it's features, and they give me a much lower focus with none of my features and charge me for it is really not cool.

#107 ·
I do not know if this is Ford protocol? This is the 2nd Ford I got from same dealer, the other car is a 2011 Fusion and issues have been limited, they did replace the front windshield because I noticed a day after I got it that the glass was defective and delaminating. They provided me with a 2012 Focus loaner through Enterprise and paid for the cost 100%. Every dealer I ever had warranty service with, provided a courtesy car or paid for a rental. Most dealers down here use rental agencies to avoid car shortages for customers so I was told.

#105 ·
Hi everyone,

Rental/loaner vehicles are provided per dealer availability. It would be awesome if everyone got one for any given reason, however, not all dealers have that option. Some only have it available if you purchased the vehicle from them, or if it’s an extenuating circumstance, etc. This is also why we offer rental provisions with our Extended Service Plans with first day rental or after 24 hour rental, etc.

Crystal

#106 ·
So you're telling me that if you bought a brand new car and the next day they said it needs work, to be in the shop for 1 week. Would you be okay with getting a much lower version of your vehicle plus paying for it daily?
I doubt it.

#111 ·
My car has been driving MUCH MUCH better since they replaced clutch/seals. I haven't heard any grinding, and best of all I haven't had any shuddering at low speeds yet (knock on wood*). They did update or reflash the cpu (or whatever, I don't know terminology :p) as well. I think I've only driven maybe 500 miles or so since then repair + cpu reflash (this is the second reflash I've had now.)

Anyways everyone keep your fingers crossed! and your toes too.

#113 ·
cappa , that sucks. 1st off did you speak with the Ford regional customer service? Apparently they are able to help expidite shipments and get parts there faster. Also, since your car's been in the shop for 1 month or more, I'm pretty sure you could ask for a replacement car (new car) or a refund according to lemon law. At least it is this way in my state. But if you are attached to your car and have faith the fix will actually fix it then I guess wait haha.
Er you're still under warranty i'm assuming right.?

#121 ·
I got my clutch/seals replaced March 22. That is almost 1.5 months ago. The car ran much better after the fix but gradually got "harsher". I've had several shudders when changing gears and most of them were not my fault. I will admit a couple times I maybe made the wrong choice in regards to where/when to shift, but most of the shudders were random.
I called my tech at the dealer and explained that I had heard about the TSB out for my car right now. And then explained my symptoms. I also asked if maybe it was the clutches/seals again? He said they will have to take a look.
Also they are replacing my stereo mask which came defective from the factory (it's crooked so some buttons stick)
I'm taking the car in on Monday to avoid leaving it over the weekend.

#122 ·
So it was all temporary after all, sorry to hear that. Mine started behaving a little better the last two days, magically some of the grinding subsided but I did get too sure about it and celebrate.

Low and behold today it was the direct opposite and I am planning on taking it next week probably, got delayed this week at work. I also have some interior issues, and a paint blemish that needs to be corrected.

I may talk to the salesperson I got the car with on that day about a possible trade-in due to not being satisfied with my purchase. I don't think it will be feasible, going to be tough to hang on to this car for a few years and live with it to say the least.

#123 ·
Mine has not grinded at all since my clutch/seal fix. I was having grinding before that.
So again, my car has overall ran much better since my fix, even though I'm still having a problem now and then.
Pre-fix my car shuddered on take-offs. Post-fix it doesn't.
Pre-fix my car did not shudder in higher gears, post-fix it does shudder in higher gears.
Pre-fix it shuddered a lot. Post-fix it is more random and uncommon.
Pre-fix my car grinded, post-fix it does not grind.
Pre-fix I got 280 miles/tank of gas, Post-fix get 350 miles/tank of gas.

as I said before since my fix a couple of the shudders were "my fault", i think, but 90% of the shudders were random and I think not my fault at all. Yesterday I was in first gear in manual mode coming up on a stop and for some reason hesitated because there was a lot of traffic and so I put in into D while coming to a stop and the car shuddered violently. I was like.. okay that was def my fault... but still you would think that should not make the car shudder so much. I realize the D setting wants to keep upshifting but come on!

My hope is nothing is wrong with the clutches/seals and that its a computer/tuning thing. May I remind everyone I know relavtively nothing about cars :)

Also I wanna note that after my fix and multiple ecu reflashes that when in D the car can go 25mph in 5th gear lol - that is if you slow down to to that speed in 5th. I think you can phsyically put it in 5th gear at 40mph. As for S mode, when in auto, it will take longer to shift when accelerating then it did before - it will rev up significantly higher than it used to - keeping it in gear longer. At first I didn't like it but I do now because it allows you to continue accelerating faster while in auto S. As for manual mode, it shifts pretty hard unless you find the "sweet spots" when slowing down. I noticed the sweet spot to shift down is around 1.5k RPM's if you want a smooth and soft shift. But as the gears go higher you can have a smooth downshift closer to 2k RPM.
All this is what i've experienced in my car at least, and I'm not sure if it needs improvement or not, because some of the tuning and transmission issues are still up in the air for our model car :/

will keep updated

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.