Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Contour SVT Swap! Proj. Log!

659K views 3K replies 169 participants last post by  sailor 
#1 ·
alright, well to spare me the time of retyping it up, and to spare those of you who choose to avoid the backstory time, i'm gonna leave the story
here
moving on.

well as of right now i have:
an MTX75 tranny (with the right bell housing)
a garage to work in (car is already there)
plenty of people to help
and the whole front fascia and hood removed for conveinence.

tomorrow (technically this) morning i'm "talking with my parents" about "college and the car" and so i'm sure my plan will meet some resistance, but w/e. i already have a trans that is waiting to be shipped out (still need to find a place that can receive it). hopefully i can also convince my dad to provide "financial assistance" in the form of "direct payment for my engine".

i'll def keep everyone posted in here. when major work gets done pics will be uploaded accordingly. and if anyone has done a lot of research on this swap and has any comments and/or advice, please share.

See less See more
#3 ·
im sure his parents are like mine

"stop putting the car before anything else..."

or

"what are you going to do with your life?...."

im sure their just nagging at him, because they dont WANT him to work on the car, and spend all of his time sitting in school...

well, gl man, make sure you keep us updated on how its going

#605 ·
man, I'm a freakin post whore..... but lol, this would so be true for my case. I'd use it as a project car, and hopefully live on campus (our building also serves as a repair shop and NAPA center, so I could work there) just get help and all that when I'm not working or in a different class...... but that's 1-2 years away, so I gotta focus on scholarship before the focus....

#9 ·
I just had to give up on a few upgrades, my scholarship coordinator lost my paperwork and I had one day to pay. Anyone want to donate to me? jk. I love the swap I really want to see it complete as well as see the final costs.

Ryan

#10 ·
i'll def keep you guys updated.
and yes i am going to school.

California Polytechnic State University - San Luis Obispo.

for Computer Engineering. and we had the chat, i almost got my mom sold on the swap.

and yes the financial costs are being recorded.

#12 ·
totally, the test drives will all be video taped.

#14 ·
i see your in northville mi so if you need any help because you have time constraints pm me i also have two friends who are great mechanics (went to school for it) who im sure would love to help in such a build.one built a malibu from a frame and it runs 12s and the other is like a master bodyshop paint guy and i am good at watching.....lol no seriously though if you need it ill help

#16 ·
I tell you what I went to college and drove my Focus the whole time. I received grants to go to college and loans to live on and now I don't really have anything to show for all the damn money I need to pay back. Except my degree of course. Wish I would of spent any extra money I had on the car because now all my money goes to living expenses where as before college took care of a lot of those things for me (food and housing). I'm not saying to not go to college, what I'm saying is do the things you want now because your young and have the chance to do these things without the real world kicking you in the balls every once in a while. I see a blown engine as opportunity. Its great that your parents support you!

I think its sweet to see a V6 go in a focus and I can only imagine twin turbo and AWD being next somewhere in the Foci world! Keep us updated! And don't put a CAI on the V6 unless you by a bypass valve. [burnout]

#17 ·
got the cams off today, and took the shifter and assorted BS out of the interior.
unfortunately teh head is bolted on with a dealer tool. since none of my torx bits would work, and neither would any of the ones at Murray's. so i'll have to drill out the bolts. (ugh.)
and yes, im getting a bypass valve, as well as avoiding small ponds posing as puddles.

#19 ·
they're not stripped yet, but they were starting to since the torx i was using was too small. unless someone knows what size i need, im totally lost and will end up just drilling them out.

#22 · (Edited)
hi!

yet another update (they're prolly gonna be almost daily from now on)
idk if i mentioned it yet, but during the tow we screwed up the crossmember and the drivers side headlight. the guy who was pulling the focus is buying me a new crossmember, and i just traded for some Hella headlights. i decided that black plastic wasn't for me. i dont seem to like anything stock, i have to make everything my own. i went to murray's and bought some textured metallic paint from duplicolor. i tossed on 3 medium coats, and a coat of clear to help the headlights endure highway driving. heres how they came out.
click the middle picture to really see how good they look, compression kills it.

they look that cool dark charcoal grey color in just ambient light. in direct sunlight they look jet black with silver metal flake in it, almost like a completely different paint. i'm loving the look, and the lights, either way.

#23 ·
dude good luck on the svtc swap, should be pissah once its done, and i like the headlights, if i didnt have HID's id get the projectors

#25 ·
btw you going to do an sc or tc? cause you probably could have just done an svt foci swap, i know the 6 is different, but theres also a weight issue, just throwin it out there peace

#26 ·
sc? tc?

u have confused me. and in all reality how much extra do those 2 cylinders weigh? and im swapping to a manual, so that eliminates a little weight for all the extra automatic crap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.